• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Carbon fiber air tank

I got the 9 liter tank it’s very nice and so far it holds air and works well .the valve they sell with I think it was extra $40 is a piece of poop. Don’t get it. All of the foster fittings are slightly larger that the normal ones that everyone has and I had to spend another 50 to make it usable. The guages seem to be accurate but the knob that opens up the air flow is stiff. I’d recomend getting a fill valve and hose from a reputable supplier. 

Link to what I got

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9L-Carbon-Fiber-Composited-Cylinder-Red-Valve-Filling-Station-with-hose-Protect-Cup/32810073639.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.2.4d3d48a3vVw60t&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_4_10152_10151_10701_10065_10344_10130_10068_10324_10342_10547_10325_10343_10546_10340_10548_10341_10545_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711215_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620_10810_10811-10701,searchweb201603_50,ppcSwitch_4&algo_expid=d24b583e-4ae2-4025-9930-7dd7ededc8bc-0&algo_pvid=d24b583e-4ae2-4025-9930-7dd7ededc8bc&priceBeautifyAB=0

I second what Brian said. I just got a smaller 2.17L tank from Acecare and the tank is very nice. The shut-off valve I bought off Aliexpress is very hard to open and close with no feel to it and hard to control the air flow. Since these tanks are threaded metric I don't know where you can find a higher quality shut-off valve and fill assembly. I did order another simply shut-off valve with no pressure gauge from the maker of the tank Acecare for $25 hoping it will do a better job. If anyone knows of an source of higher quality valves to fit these metric threaded tanks I would like to know. In conclusion for me tanks good-valves bad. Bill

"Airbuks"How can I see when they are DOT ?
DOT certified tanks have to have a special set of markings on them. Here is a pic of a common SCBA tank. The required marking are contained in the CFR ( Code of Federal Regulations). I do know it needs DOT #, Manu date, Serial #, REE # (expansion allowance), Pressure rating and a few other things (IIRC). When those AceCare tanks first became popular the Chinese did their best to make them "Look" like DOT tanks but they did NOT contain all of the required markings.

Here is a breakdown of the meaning of the #'s you see.

http://www.safteng.net/index.php/component/content/article?id=2129&itemid=4

"Airbuks"Hi , 
Can you trust those carbon fiber air tanks that are for sale on Aliexpress ? 
Did anybody bought one from there ?
Mod edit: moved to Air tanks, pumps, compressors.
There are several factors to keep in mind if you buy a tank from Aliexpress. I bought a 3 liter tank, valve, and fill adapter which all work great. My expeirience has been a little different from some of the other posts about Aliexpress carbon fiber tanks.

1. You will have to fill an Aliexpress tank yourself with your own compressor or private fill source. Aliexpress carbon fiber tanks don't include DOT certification. Without DOT approved on the tank label, no U.S. dealer will hydrotest or fill your tank.

2. Don't buy an Aliexpress tank and expect to thread on any U.S.made tank valve. Chinese tanks and valves have 8 x1.5 metric thread. U.S. tanks and valves have a 14 x .875 thread. European tanks and valves have a 25 x 2 metric thread. The Chinese and U.S. valves both have a 300 DIN connection, so an Aliexpress tank and valve will work with a U.S. or any fill adapter made for a 300 DIN connection.

3. I purchased and use an Aliexpress 3 liter tank with Aliexpress valve and fill adapter. My valve looks just like a U.S. SCBA valve but reads air tank pressure instead of minutes of air remaining. I removed the pressure spring from the tank valve handle so I don't have to press it down to turn it. I have no problem with the valve handle being stiff or difficult to manage air flow. The pressure gauge that came with the fill adapter was junk (500 bar off) so I replaced it with a higher quality gauge. The Aliexpress microbore fill hoses seem to be more slow leak prone than hoses sold by vendors in the U.S. A disturbing percentage of them have small air leaks at the junctions between the hose and their criimped on connectors. Aliexpress is good at supporting buyers so I've gotten no hassle replacements whenever I've gotten a leaky microbore hose. The leaks I'm referring to are a very slow pressure loss if you test the hose with a dead head, not a audible fast leak. Leaks waste high pressure air so a leaky hose is totally unacceptable, especially when used to fill from a compressor.

4. If you have access to a privately owned compressor and want to save money the Aliexpress tanks and valves are significantly less expensive. They requires the purchaser to have patience with shipping time and skill in analyzing and servicing connections that may leak. I wouldn't recommend Aliexpress tanks, valves, fill stations, or high pressure compressors to newbies or the mechanically challenged. Compressed air requires caution and safety much more than dollar savings. 

"Humdinger"
"Airbuks"Hi , 
Can you trust those carbon fiber air tanks that are for sale on Aliexpress ? 
Did anybody bought one from there ?
Mod edit: moved to Air tanks, pumps, compressors.
There are several factors to keep in mind if you buy a tank from Aliexpress. I bought a 3 liter tank, valve, and fill station from them and so far so good. My expeirience has been a little different from some of the other posts on this subject.
1. You will have to fill an Aliexpress tank yourself with your own compressor or private fill source. Aliexpress carbon fiber tanks don't include DOT certification. Without DOT approved on the tank label, no U.S. dealer will hydrotest or fill your tank legally.
2. Don't buy an Aliexpress tank and expect to connect to a U.S. spec tank valve. Chinese tanks are 8 x1.5 metric thread. U.S. tanks are 14 x .875 threaded.  The Chinese and U.S. valves both have a 300 DIN connection, so an Aliexpress tank and valve will work with a U.S. or Aliexpress fill adapter made with a 300 DIN connector.
3. I purchased and use an Aliexpress 3 liter tank with Aliexpress valve and fill adapter. The valve looks just like a U.S. SCBA valve but reads air tank pressure instead of minutes of air remaining. I removed the pressure spring from the fill valve handle so I don't have to press it down to turn it on or off. I have no problem with the valve handle being stiff or hard to control. The pressure gauge on the fill adapter was junk (500 bar off) so I replaced it with a higher quality gauge. The Aliexpress microbore fill hoses are much more slow leak prone than hoses sold in the U.S. A higher percentage of them have miniscule leaks at the junctions between the hose and the connectors. Aliexpress is good at supporting the buyer so I've gotten prompt replacements whenever I've had a leaking hose. The leaks I'm referring to are a very slowl pressure loss if you test the hose with a dead head, not an audible hiss type fast leak.
4. If you have access to a privately owned compressor and want to save money the Aliexpress equipment is significantly less expensive. It requires the purchaser to have patience with shipping times and skill in analyzing and replacing components that can leak. I wouldn't recommend Aliexpress tanks, valves, fill stations, or compressors to newbies or the mechanically challenged. Compressed air requires caution and safety above dollar savings. 
as an FYI - 300 DIN fitting are technically rated to 4351 psi (300bar) not 4500psi like the SCBA (CGA347) valves.

"Airbuks"Hi all , 
Thx for all the answers and advise !
I think I will be better save than sorry and buy a tank from my local dive shop it’s only 50 bucks difference at the and if I calculate import tax etc
FYI, there is no import tax on imported carbon fiber tanks. The best advise I can give to any tank buyer is get a carbon fiber tank and stay away from a steel or aluminum scuba tank. A scuba tank gives far fewer fills since it only holds 3300 psi maximum, and it's a PITA to lug around. Bigger, heavier, and holds less air. Carbon fiber tanks are the way to go.
Where you buy it from is up to you.

"Humdinger"
"Airbuks"Hi all , 
Thx for all the answers and advise !
I think I will be better save than sorry and buy a tank from my local dive shop it’s only 50 bucks difference at the and if I calculate import tax etc
FYI, there is no import tax on imported carbon fiber tanks. The best advise I can give to any tank buyer is get a carbon fiber tank and stay away from a steel or aluminum scuba tank. A scuba tank gives far fewer fills since it only holds 3300 psi maximum, and it's a PITA to lug around. Bigger, heavier, and holds less air. Carbon fiber tanks are the way to go.
Where you buy it from is up to you.
Just to add what Humdinger said. A 300 bar scuba tank will probably set you back more than most SCBA bottles. I don't know about your local laws but here in Australia, scuba bottles need to be in test every 12 months as well as hydro testing every 3-5 years. Our scuba shops don't care where the cylinders come from, DOT means poop here. If it doesn't have Australian compiance number they won't fill it.

The cheapest I've found a new 60min 4500psi carbon fiber tank with DOT cert, is $495 + $33 S&H. Shipping cost will probably vary depending on where you're located.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112718563030

You can get a Scott SCBA reconditioned valve from the same people. $85 + $10 S&H
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112288517277

The seller's website is Home[/QUOTE]https://www.scbasalesco.com/embed/#?secret=EzRpcObnU8

The Scott SCBA 4500psi valve takes a CGA 347 connection. You can get a "fill station" with cga 347 on ebay for roughly $50. All in, it's around $670 to $700 with DOT cert.

Anyone know of a cheaper route for a new 60min 4500psi carbon fiber tank with DOT cert? 

"Rich7777"The cheapest I've found a new 60min 4500psi carbon fiber tank with DOT cert, is $495 + $33 S&H. Shipping cost will probably vary depending on where you're located.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112718563030
You can get a Scott SCBA reconditioned valve from the same people. $85 + $10 S&H
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112288517277
The seller's website is Home
https://www.scbasalesco.com/embed/#?secret=ndtt5jG57i
The Scott SCBA 4500psi valve takes a CGA 347 connection. You can get a "fill station" with cga 347 on ebay for roughly $50. All in, it's around $670 to $700 with DOT cert.
Anyone know of a cheaper route for a new 60min 4500psi carbon fiber tank with DOT cert? 
[/QUOTE]
Isn't the 60 min tank the equivalent of about 70 cu. ft of air. If so you can get the 72 cu. ft. Tiger Shark with 300 din fitting and fill assembly for $589 from Air Tanks for sale. Their tanks and fill assemblies are very nice. Bill

http://www.airtanksforsale.com/

"AirgunBil"
Isn't the 60 min tank the equivalent of about 70 cu. ft of air. If so you can get the 72 cu. ft. Tiger Shark with 300 din fitting and fill assembly for $589 from Air Tanks for sale. Their tanks and fill assemblies are very nice. Bill
Actually the 60min tank is the 97cubic ft tank. It's really 87, but for airgun advertising they list them at 97. The Tiger Shark at 72 is really a 66cf or 45min tank.

"BigTinBoat"
"AirgunBil"
Actually the 60min tank is the 97cubic ft tank. It's really 87, but for airgun advertising they list them at 97. The Tiger Shark at 72 is really a 66cf or 45min tank.
My mistake not having any SCBA tanks myself. In that case the 97 cu. ft. Great White which Air Tanks For Sale sells is the equivalent size to the 60 min SCBA for $679 with fill assembly. Basically the same price as Rich7777 found for the new 60 min SCBA. Bill