• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Carbon barrel sleeve??

When bonded to the barrel (epoxy, bearing retainer, etc.), it significantly improves stiffness without adding much weight. For thin barrels (soda straws). A stiffer barrel is more harmonically "dead" meaning it flexes and vibrates less in response to the sharp impulse of the firing cycle. Naturally the benefit is greater for thin barrels affectionately (or derisively) referred to as soda straws.

Yeah, in 99%b of cases, it's just cute.

As far as adding any strength to a barrel...THAT's a mixed bag. Just bonding a snug fitting sleeve onto a thin piece of tubing (barrel), is just as likely to bend the tubing as the epoxy / bonding material sets. Have seen it happen in other surroundings.

Like the stickers, the red, blue, yellow parts on an otherwise black gun. Carbon fiber wraps on an aluminum air cylinder, etc.

Mike

Matte finish and hidden inside of the black aluminum shroud. Explain to me how this is for "looks" again? Also took time to make sure bond was as uniform as I could get by slowing working it into the tube. Then let it set up while installed, and supported inside shroud. This barrel shoots outstandingly. 

The barrel on the other gun has a LW barrel bonded with Matte carbon fiber as well. I actually have a tensioning shroud that makes it shoot even better. Carbon fiber is desirable for its stiffness and lightness. If I had wanted something heavier, I would have used aluminum or steel for the tensioning shroud. 

129757251_10158776034294034_5915731513241631875_o.1626613278.jpg

DSCF5522_edited.1626613588.jpg

Just bonding a snug fitting sleeve onto a thin piece of tubing (barrel), is just as likely to bend the tubing as the epoxy / bonding material sets.

That’s a new one for me. I’ve sleeved several barrels and have read countless write ups from others who have done it. Never heard of a bent barrel.

And if there were no benefit to having a substantial barrel, most of them would have a wall no thicker than necessary to prevent accidental bending from handling. It would just be wasted material adding weight and cost, and the nature of market competition would have eliminated it long ago.

Just bonding a snug fitting sleeve onto a thin piece of tubing (barrel), is just as likely to bend the tubing as the epoxy / bonding material sets.

That’s a new one for me. I’ve sleeved several barrels and have read countless write ups from others who have done it. Never heard of a bent barrel.

And if there were no benefit to having a substantial barrel, most of them would have a wall no thicker than necessary to prevent accidental bending from handling. It would just be wasted material adding weight and cost, and the nature of market competition would have eliminated it long ago.

Yeah very common when using expanding foam as an epoxy. But installing with anything near proper (non expanding) will result in never having the anecdotal problem mentioned. 

Some people like them (me included on 700mm), some people don't and invent all kinds of wacky reasons why they're useless. I'm a fan of its just bling, that's completely hidden. 😄

We had some samples of carbon fiber in my classroom that a student brought in for a project we were working on. I hadn't done much besides look at it before then... what crazy stuff though - plastic-like hollow little tubes the size of a shishkebob skewer but ridiculously light and difficult to bend. I can see how this would change/reduce barrel oscillation 

I have sometimes wondered if a more flexible barrel can have its advantage? As I understand it, a stiffer barrel will make it vibrate faster, as when tensioning a guitar string. But it will also vibrate less. If the harmonic node on a gun with a stiff barrel repeat itself every 30fps, and the harmonic node on a gun with a more flexible barrel repeat every 60 fps (just thinking out loud here no real world date), would not a gun with a extreme spread of 20 fps deviate more on the faster flexing barrel? By that I mean if a shot is 20 fps off, on a gun tuned at the node, it is then 66% off the node, on the stiff barrel, while it is 33% off, in the more flexible barrel with a longer node? So in theory a flyer being off because of velocity spread, would then fly a litle more off target on a stiff barrel? Or maybe it would not matter, because the more flexible barrel would also have a wider swing, making both shots being equal off?

The sleeve is intended to stiffen the barrel and reduce harmonic vibration during the shot cycle. I'll ask this question again. FX makes a barrel assembly (without shroud) of five very thin parts. It is known that mass dampens vibration. The traditional airgun barrels using LW, CZ and BSA solid barrels does the job with one piece. I still can't wrap my arms around the FX design except it does provide the opportunity to change liners for different application, but at your expense, and you can change calibers easily, but that costs $400. A solid barrel's price is similar. Oh wait, that makes more money for FX in the aftermarket, doesn't it? Pardon my rant, but I'm a bit frustrated that most all dealers around the country don't have anything in stock and you have to pre-order with an long, unknown lead time. Hey FX, I have my wallet out, do you have any parts?