Can’t Over-Stress Safety

Few days ago I was looking down my scope at a field mouse in my garden, finger on the trigger, when I thought I heard something and looked up. “Are You Crazy?!!! “ I yelled at my wife as she just almost crossed the yard and into my line of fire. There’s no way she didn’t see me at my gun either. It would have not been good, .22 Cal Cricket at ~ 24fpe with Hades ~ 4 yards away. 

Now I read this story below. Please be safe enjoying our sport, these will do more than take your eye out. 

https://www.foxnews.com/world/sentencing-death-boy-shot-granddad

I was just watching the 5o’clock news and they reported a 1 year old died from a chest wound from a pellet rifle in the Champaign Il. area. I wholeheartedly agree you can’t over stress safety. They haven’t released details of how it happened but I thought it would be pertinent in this thread.

Reading that made me feel ill. Probably a brother or father responsible. How could you live with yourself after something like that . AND the shooter is always responsible. There isn’t a one of us who hasn’t had or WILL have an accident. I’ve had several thank GOD no injuries.

I month or so ago (locally) a 14 year old accidentally shot and killed his father while handling a supposedly unloaded rifle.

Lord knows, I know how you feel. I was looking through the scope at a paper target. The scope was on about 24X and it doesn't give you much of a field of view at that magnification. Just as I was about to pull the trigger, I saw something move in the lower left hand edge of the lense. I just stopped where I was and in a split second one of my neighbors kids head was right in the middle of the cross hairs. That kid is a wonderful little guy and his father is my best friend … if had I pulled on that target I would have beat myself up for the rest of my life. The target was 65 yards from my house, back in the woods and it scared me so bad I had to lay the gun down and say one of the most sincere prayers I've ever said thanking God that he didn't let me pull the trigger.

Oh, for sure! Huge lesson for me that day. I had made sure the coast was clear, twice! But, truth is, I should have told her I was outside Shooting. Although it was spur of the moment thing, as I saw the mouse and ran out to shoot it.

I'm happy you took my post in the spirit it was intended. I reread and wanted to make sure you didn't feel I was blaming anyone. The point was that even in accidents it is always the shooter who is accountable. And even if is a well marked range with a master and someone runs across a hot line and gets shot guess who really feels the remorse? Yup the shooter!

I have had my wife walk in front of me when I was shooting from the living room (6 feet from where she was sitting watching TV) to the kitchen for 30 ft practice. I was settled in on my targe spot through a 20x scope so no field of view her calf appeared between my reticle and the target. When I yelled at her she claimed she had no idea I was shooting, she said she thought I was dry firing.

Yes I always am concerned when I see some of the backyard ranges with people shooting past the edges of houses and outbuildings. At my home range I have an unobstructed view of the full field of fire. Recently though I put in a paver pad by my shed to place my trash cans on. If I shoot off that pad I can extend my range from 72 to 85 yards but there would be a blind spot to my left. The only way I would shoot from there is if I put up a rope or plastic clip to stop people from walking into the line of fire. Bill

Glad you spidey senses alerted you to the presence of the Miss's Christian.

My cat likes to be all up in my face when I'm shooting off the back porch. Not a problem when I'm shooting the rifles, as the end of the barrel protrudes a pretty good distance beyond the bench rest/porch rail.

But if I'm shooting one of the Bullpups, I just grab her and put her in the house till I get finished. She could easily walk in front of that short barrel in a split second. Crazy thing will sit right beside the rifle while I shoot? Hard to do any night shooting without her supervising? LOL

1562124086_10065553025d1c1f366b3443.76127610_45104702_2241024855909148_5709380170662543360_n.jpg

1562124422_5952389895d1c20861c4d92.36890180_65965430_2605078529503777_4843005616890839040_n.jpg

That reminds me of a similar experience I had about 10 years ago, with a twist.

About a half dozen of us hit our local shooting range and were mainly putting holes in the 50-yard and 100-yard targets. Then the RO called cease-fire and most of us went downrange to inspect our targets. When we returned and the "all clear" was given, I dropped a new mag in my rifle and pushed a round forward, took aim at about 16X at 100 yards, had my finger inside of the trigger guard and I literally had depressed the whole first stage of the trigger (and only a 1.5-lb pull mind you), when the back of man's brown Carhart jacket appeared in my scope, right in front of my target.

Another second, my round would have been downrange. Luckily I wasn't quicker than he was. I called an immediate cease-fire.

How this idiot wound up on the range and nobody saw him is beyond me. Brown Carhart, brown pants, brown back-stop to blend into.

The way he acted afterwards was also unnerving. I informed him that he was about a second away from catching a bullet in the back. He then admitted that he had walked onto the range from the SIDE, instead of from the benches like everyone else because it was a shorter walk from his car.

The next round of shots we all took, we all opened the bolts on our rifles and removed our mags as usual before walking downrange. This same guy not only took the mag out of his rifle, but he then immediately went ahead and loaded a fresh mag, closed bolt, rifle pointed downrange. I challenged him on this and told him that everyone was going downrange, and he might want to unload his rifle. He refused and, and in a very awkward and defiant tone he insisted he would sit there at that position and condition and wait for us to come back.

Needless to say, we did not leave the benches and walk downrange from this nut. We did pack all our gear and leave however.

Sometimes you just never know who or what is going to show up in your FOV. Luckily no one was hurt (although maybe butt-hurt) that day.

PT

This is a great reason to practice and get used to shooting with both eyes open. It may feel awkward at first but like anything, repetition and time will help.

I’ve had something similar happen to me. Just finished shooting a paper target for groups and while still sitting at my bench, an older kid walks through my back yard and up the side yard! I had to have a conversation with the guy. It was a sketchy situation all around... 

That reminds me of a similar experience I had about 10 years ago, with a twist.

About a half dozen of us hit our local shooting range and were mainly putting holes in the 50-yard and 100-yard targets. Then the RO called cease-fire and most of us went downrange to inspect our targets. When we returned and the "all clear" was given, I dropped a new mag in my rifle and pushed a round forward, took aim at about 16X at 100 yards, had my finger inside of the trigger guard and I literally had depressed the whole first stage of the trigger (and only a 1.5-lb pull mind you), when the back of man's brown Carhart jacket appeared in my scope, right in front of my target.

Another second, my round would have been downrange. Luckily I wasn't quicker than he was. I called an immediate cease-fire.

How this idiot wound up on the range and nobody saw him is beyond me. Brown Carhart, brown pants, brown back-stop to blend into.

The way he acted afterwards was also unnerving. I informed him that he was about a second away from catching a bullet in the back. He then admitted that he had walked onto the range from the SIDE, instead of from the benches like everyone else because it was a shorter walk from his car.

The next round of shots we all took, we all opened the bolts on our rifles and removed our mags as usual before walking downrange. This same guy not only took the mag out of his rifle, but he then immediately went ahead and loaded a fresh mag, closed bolt, rifle pointed downrange. I challenged him on this and told him that everyone was going downrange, and he might want to unload his rifle. He refused and, and in a very awkward and defiant tone he insisted he would sit there at that position and condition and wait for us to come back.

Needless to say, we did not leave the benches and walk downrange from this nut. We did pack all our gear and leave however.

Sometimes you just never know who or what is going to show up in your FOV. Luckily no one was hurt (although maybe butt-hurt) that day.

PT

That would get you banned at my local range (as of last year rules changed to weapons open and racked when anyone goes downrange) and should at all ranges. Totally unacceptable behavior and such a person should not be shooting around others.

I've recounted before watching an older gentleman shoot himself through the left palm just a few feet from me at my local range. What I may not have mentioned was that this incident happened while others were moving downrange to check targets. That bullet, after passing through his palm, hit the bench top and moved in the direction of that group. Someone could have been killed or severely injured. Be alert around others and don't accept such dangerous behavior.