Airgun Technologies cant keep it together......

have i mentioned how much i am enjoying the quality of this gun? lol

unscrewed the moderator end of the shroud to see what sort of baffling it has,
and was greeted with a 1 piece machined aluminum setup.

took a shot over the chrony
with a 30gn h&n slug (907fps)
so figured when i strip it down to clean the barrel real good this evening,
ill degas and bump the reg up a bit.

but man i am digging this girl :cool:

View attachment 399082
If you increase preassuremin regulator you may loose fps.

After the equilibrium point valve will not open correctly. You are warned !!

There are two forces in fight in a rifle with hammer shooting system:

- The force of the pressure in bottle or after regulator (on regulated rifles); and

- The force of the spring of the hammer.

At “A” pressure the hit of the hammer opens too much the valve, but at pressure too high, Pressure “B”, the hammer does not have enough force to open adequately the valve, both, in pressure “A” and in pressure “B”, you are in fps below of the best your rifle can do.

At Pressure “C” the force of the spring of the hammer and the valve work armonically and you get the best in fps you can get from your rifle.

In other systems of firing, like Huben, LCS, Rattler and Sidewinder, the higher the pressure in the regulator the must fps you get.

Last edited:
to me that sounds like you are describing a normal valve system similar to what is on my impact,
that in which case yes more hammer would up velocity.

but like i said,from all the info i garnered,
increasing the hammer spring on the uragan 2 does not increase fps due to the balanced valve and light hammer and spring.

Reactions: darylm
I have the vulcan 3 700mm in .30 cal and the hammer spring adjuster gives quite a bit of velocity adjustment.

yes,the vulcan 3 has a regular style valve that will increase velocity with increased hammer spring.

the uragan 2 has a balanced valve and very light hammer and spring.

if i hadn't know this going into it,
i might have thought there was something wrong with the gun the first time i cocked it and it hardly had any tension lol

it feels weird that its so light,
makes the trigger phenomenal though.

oh and the trigger,
i figured it out a little,
was able to make the first stage longer,
and took out the little bit of creep in the second stage.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
to me that sounds like you are describing a normal valve system similar to what is on my impact,
that in which case yes more hammer would up velocity.

but like i said,from all the info i garnered,
increasing the hammer spring on the uragan 2 does not increase fps due to the balanced valve and light hammer and spring.

Balanced valves (when engineered well) do respond to hammer strike variance fwiw. The Cothran valve and similar do not.

Also the impact does not have a normal valve system, its balanced.

-Matt

Balanced valves (when engineered well) do respond to hammer strike variance fwiw. The Cothran valve and similar do not.

Also the impact does not have a normal valve system, its balanced.

-Matt

matt,

thank you,
i may have been misinformed in my understanding of this gun.

my impact i feel is a breeze to tune in the usual way of increasing hammer spring till velocity stops rising and then backing it off 15fps and then drop the speed 10 more fps with the valve adjuster.

but from all the research i did,
it seemed as though hammer spring wasnt doing much for people on the uragan 2 when they increased/decreased it due to the balanced valve.

but then again,
alot of people have no clue how to tune an airgun,
so i take everything i see/read with a grain of salt.

so,
youre saying hammer spring will make a difference on the u2?

that would make things so much easier lol

matt,

thank you,
i may have been misinformed in my understanding of this gun.

my impact i feel is a breeze to tune in the usual way of increasing hammer spring till velocity stops rising and then backing it off 15fps and then drop the speed 10 more fps with the valve adjuster.

but from all the research i did,
it seemed as though hammer spring wasnt doing much for people on the uragan 2 when they increased/decreased it due to the balanced valve.

but then again,
alot of people have no clue how to tune an airgun,
so i take everything i see/read with a grain of salt.

so,
youre saying hammer spring will make a difference on the u2?

that would make things so much easier lol
It happens, we're all wrong from time to time, it's those willing to accept and learn that I mesh with.

The U2 may or may not respond to variable hammer strike, I cannot attest to that as I don't have personal experience with that gun...depends if it's valve was designed similar to a Cothran balanced valve or one similar to the FX's balanced valves.

Cothran valves are known for needing pressure change to alter the energy output, that or barrel length/plenum size/transfer port size.

-Matt

It happens, we're all wrong from time to time, it's those willing to accept and learn that I mesh with.

The U2 may or may not respond to variable hammer strike, I cannot attest to that as I don't have personal experience with that gun...depends if it's valve was designed similar to a Cothran balanced valve or one similar to the FX's balanced valves.

Cothran valves are known for needing pressure change to alter the energy output, that or barrel length/plenum size/transfer port size.

-Matt

i am not ashamed to say "i dont know"
when i dont know about something lol

and i am a glutton for knowledge (y)

when i started my pcp journey,
it was on the 1st gen marauder,
when it was the latest greatest thing lol

but of all the guns over the years,
ive never ran into one with such a light hammer and spring,
this is something i dont have experience in the area of.

i am not ashamed to say "i dont know"
when i dont know about something lol

and i am a glutton for knowledge (y)

when i started my pcp journey,
it was on the 1st gen marauder,
when it was the latest greatest thing lol

but of all the guns over the years,
ive never ran into one with such a light hammer and spring,
this is something i dont have experience in the area of.

Much as water is to a sponge, knowledge is to my brain, even if my sponge wick's up water slower than some others :ROFLMAO:

I can cock my current customized gen 2 marauder with my pinky finger nail, literally by the nail while making 60 FPE in .25 cal.

It doesn't use a balanced valve, rather a pilot valve seen in my signature which I took part in the R&D of. Fascinating what can be accomplished.

Another great thing about this particular valve is it is not really susceptible to large FPS swings due to regulator creep. Big win.

-Matt

"It happens, we're all wrong from time to time, it's those willing to accept and learn that I mesh with."

The irony of someone who blocks people when he is wrong so he can get the last word in is staggering 🤣

If you can't be the smartest in the room, remove the others from the room, am I right there, Stubbers?

"It happens, we're all wrong from time to time, it's those willing to accept and learn that I mesh with."

The irony of someone who blocks people when he is wrong so he can get the last word in is staggering 🤣

If you can't be the smartest in the room, remove the others from the room, am I right there, Stubbers?
Staggering isnt the word that comes to mind lol. A friend saw it and used a few other select words that described it better lol.

Reactions: darylm
yes,the vulcan 3 has a regular style valve that will increase velocity with increased hammer spring.

the uragan 2 has a balanced valve and very light hammer and spring.

if i hadn't know this going into it,
i might have thought there was something wrong with the gun the first time i cocked it and it hardly had any tension lol

it feels weird that its so light,
makes the trigger phenomenal though.

oh and the trigger,
i figured it out a little,
was able to make the first stage longer,
and took out the little bit of creep in the second stage.
Nice I had no idea they were that different. I like the looks of those laminated Uragans. I really like the vulcan 3. I’m considering moving it out of the stable only because I don’t shoot 30 much.

well,
yesterday out of the box,
it shot a 30gn h&n slug at 907fps.

so last night,
i tore it down and bumped the reg up 1/4 turn,
and went 1.5 turns in on the hammer spring.

and today,
it shot the same h&n 30gn slug at 1021fps o_O

refilling from empty was interesting,
screwed the red (aluminum) cap they include on the barrel,
cocked it,
and when i cranked the tank open,
huge whooshing ensued!

i panicked and shut the tank off,
and all air bled off in a few seconds "hmmmmm"

cracked it open again,
more than last time,
whooshed for about 3-4 seconds,
then whooshing stopped and gun filled normally,
all is good scared me for a sec hahahaha

while i had the stock off,
i got to work on adjusting the tiny bit of creep out of the second stage of the trigger.

its so easy to adjust,
ill include a few pics so anyone that doesnt know how,will then know how lol

turned first stage screw IN till gun would cock but not fire without some nudging,
backed out till it would fire,
then about 1/2 turn more,
made for a nice longer first stage
(which i prefer)

and only had to turn the 2nd stage screw IN about a quarter turn to get rid of the creep.

2nd stage has a grub screw to lock it which is great.

in the pictures,
the red circle shows the first stage adjustment screw,
the green circle shows the 2nd stage locking grub,
and the blue circle shows the 2nd stage adjustment screw.

20231023_162418.jpg

20231023_162158.jpg

Reactions: Emu
Thanks for the data on your 600mm 25 calibre Uragan 2. I saw one at a shop and was impressed. Very nice looking. It didn't feel as heavy as the data on the internet would indicate. Info on the Uragans is hard to find, so I appreciate your sharing the real world performance. What is your impression of the sound level? Is the shroud sufficient, or do you plan on adding a moderator?

built in silencer works great imo.
even at 1021fps it still wasnt loud.

but before i bumped the reg it was what i would consider very backyard friendly,
very doubtful ill add a moderator.

ive been so impressed with this gun,
everything about it.

hopefully ill be able to get to get to the farm for some testing in the morning.

built in silencer works great imo.
even at 1021fps it still wasnt loud.

but before i bumped the reg it was what i would consider very backyard friendly,
very doubtful ill add a moderator.

ive been so impressed with this gun,
everything about it.

hopefully ill be able to get to get to the farm for some testing in the morning.
So you still have the kid on christmas morning feel after playing with it some. Thats always a good thing.

Looking forward to hearing the results from the farm.