• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can't decide between the RWS 54 and the Weihrauch HW97K

I have both. The RWS 54 is an absolute power house and tack driver. It is a little hard to get used to the rifle sliding back at the shot and it is extremely heavy. One always needs to use a one piece scope mount with recoil lug (which I also use on the Weihrauch).

If I had to choose only one, I would choose the HW97K in .22. Mine has a Vortek Sho Tune kit installed and shoots at just under 16 ft lbs of energy. It will shoot <3/8" groups with 5.53mm H&N FTT or Baracuda pellets at 20 yards every time, is less weight, and I find it to be more pleasant to shoot than the heavy recoiling 54 Air King. Mine is equipped with a Hawke 6-24x56 SF30 Airmax Scope and it will consistently hit any 2" spinner inside of 60 yards with no issues.

You can't go wrong either way, and both rifles are so unique and legendary, they both eventually deserve to be included in your battery of air guns.

Good luck.

DZ

I just bought a Weihrauch HW97K last month from Krale in .177 cal. I'm limited to a 10 yd. range right now, unless I want to freeze my tail off; but I put three shots through one hole with it that you'd have to compare side-by-side with another target to recognize it wasn't just a single shot that went through it.

I've tried a half dozen different kinds of pellets through it. It likes all but one of them. Which is nice. It's not picky about what I feed it.

This is my first spring piston air rifle. I'd heard about how hold sensitive they can be. But although I've only put around 200 or so pellets through it, I haven't really noticed it being hold sensitive at all. I hope it stays that way!

I bought the 20 Joule / 14.7 Ft.Lb. model, and it seems pretty powerful. It took out a large rabbit with a body shot with no problem. I hadn't shot it enough at different ranges to be confident to go for a head shot.

Make sure you tighten the screws and check them periodically, or loc-tight them. My accuracy started suffering after a while. I quickly discovered it'd shot itself loose. I don't know if it came that way or not, but now I know to check them from time to time.

The trigger is fantastic, and overall, it's a well-built air rifle.

I'd buy it again.

I hope this helps.

Both great guns with plenty of fans. I personally don't care for the recoiling action on the RWS, kinda hard to get used to but very accurate when you do. Also the RWS 54 tends to be hard on scopes at full power. In .22 (full power) I would say both guns would still have killing power at 40-45 yards with a well placed shot. Possibly farther but that critical 1.5 inch area on a squirrel's noggin gets kinda small after 40 yards or so.....IMO

Thanks guys,

Leaning towards the HW97K....Is it possible to know ballpark the effective kill range of the HW97 .22 on squirrels? Assuming a well placed shot is made....

Assuming a muzzle energy of about 14fpe, you’ll have terminal energy of more than 8fpe out to 70 yards. That is plenty to anchor a squirrel if shot placement is good. With my .177 hw97k, I am comfortable out to 50 yards.

R