• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

CANT , and it's effect ?

I posed a question to scotchmo that illustrates a SECOND exception to Szottesfeld's conclusion. Not only does holding over with the crosshairs create an exception (admitted to but called an "aiming error") but so does shooting at the distant zero of the two zero method. Yes, they are at two separate distances for the distant zero with low and high scope height. But AT EACH RESPECTIVE DISTANCE, one is aiming dead center with the crosshair to hit that spot. But any common cant angle for the two "systems" will produce more cant error with the higher of the two scopes. It isn't an "aiming error" because you are "aiming" dead on WITH THE CROSSHAIR. It isn't a "ranging error because you are shooting at a specific distance tied to that scope height. It is simply AN EXCEPTION. A second exception (in addition to the one that Szottesfeld DID identify) that further disproves the overgeneralized statement "scope height above bore does not effect cant error". It absolutely does, in some situations. And it absolutely does not, in some others.

"...It absolutely does, in some situations. And it absolutely does not, in some others...." 

I have never encountered that situation.

"...But AT EACH RESPECTIVE DISTANCE, one is aiming dead center with the crosshair to hit that spot...."

As long as the POA is intersecting the intended POI, I can't see how the viewing position changes the amount of gun cant error.

Please diagram the exception so I can better understand what you are describing.

That said, FT shooters claim system cant and scope height does not affect their shooting. IDK. Maybe at the distances shot and the way they setup their choice of zero there is some error canceling going on.

"...FT shooters claim system cant and scope height does not affect their shooting..."

I know a few successful/knowledgeable FT shooters. Cant can affect our shooting. Most of us use a bubble level to avoid gun cant. Scope height can amplify or reduce errors from miss-ranging (aiming errors) and produce additional reticle/clicking cant errors if the gun is canted. But if there is no ranging error, then the scope height won't affect the magnitude of gun cant errors. We use scope height to move the Point Blank Range into the range that we prefer, not to reduce cant errors.

I'm not going to address your belief in the "myth" of scope cant, Most every aspect that pertains to it is being covered in my debate with bandg.

In all the above, it certainly seems that you are still tied, inseparable, and unable to relate to what happens BEYOND "your" target. I'm going to assume (we all know what happens then, but it seems necessary) that "But if there is no ranging error" means you are ignoring the most important part of my question-what happens at the second zero points for each setup that I described in comparison to the other? I believe you are ignoring that because you consider it a "ranging error" or "aiming error" because the shooter didn't simply CLICK TO A SINGLE ZERO. I believe I understand that the statement "We use scope height to move the Point Blank Range into the range that we prefer, not to reduce cant errors" means that you don't want to consider that 2 zero method and what happens at the second zero point because FT shooters generally don't shoot that way. I do believe that I adequately described above why it is neither a "ranging error" or "aiming error" FOR THE 2 ZERO METHOD, even if the second zero distances are different. 

I posed a question to scotchmo that illustrates a SECOND exception to Szottesfeld's conclusion. Not only does holding over with the crosshairs create an exception (admitted to but called an "aiming error") but so does shooting at the distant zero of the two zero method. Yes, they are at two separate distances for the distant zero with low and high scope height. But AT EACH RESPECTIVE DISTANCE, one is aiming dead center with the crosshair to hit that spot. But any common cant angle for the two "systems" will produce more cant error with the higher of the two scopes. It isn't an "aiming error" because you are "aiming" dead on WITH THE CROSSHAIR. It isn't a "ranging error because you are shooting at a specific distance tied to that scope height. It is simply AN EXCEPTION. A second exception (in addition to the one that Szottesfeld DID identify) that further disproves the overgeneralized statement "scope height above bore does not effect cant error". It absolutely does, in some situations. And it absolutely does not, in some others.

"...It absolutely does, in some situations. And it absolutely does not, in some others...." 

I have never encountered that situation.

"...But AT EACH RESPECTIVE DISTANCE, one is aiming dead center with the crosshair to hit that spot...."

As long as the POA is intersecting the intended POI, I can't see how the viewing position changes the amount of gun cant error.

Please diagram the exception so I can better understand what you are describing.

Below is a response nervoustrigger posted to my open sight vs scope photos early in this thread-

nervoustrigger

The question is whether a high scope is more susceptible to cant error than a low scope. To answer this question, which of these two experiments would best answer it?

1. An experiment with two scopes
2. An experiment with a scope and a "not a scope".

A scope allows one to re-zero for every shot, either by using using stadia markings (mildots) or by dialing. Open sights do not do that except in a crude, improvised way analogous to holding over with a plain crosshair reticle absent of any mildots.

This illustrates PERFECTLY why those who believe the Szottesfeld view DON'T UNDERSTAND. Consider-

When a shooter "aims" through a scope, there is a straight line from EYE to RETICLE to TARGET. The optics can be manipulated to focus or to change aim point (think ANGLE HERE) but even after such change, there is still a straight line from EYE to RETICLE to TARGET. That line after internal scope manipulation is still there, it's still straight, but it has been changed IN RELATION TO BORE.

When a shooter "aims" with open sights, there is a straight line from EYE to REAR SIGHT to FRONT SIGHT to TARGET. The open sights can be manipulated to change aim point (the same manipulation of angle that a scope accomplishes, just external and mechanical vs. internal and optical). That line after manipulation is still there, it's still straight, but it has been changed IN RELATION TO BORE.

The scope is relatively more precise while the open sights are relatively more crude, BUT THEY DO EXACTLY THE SAME THING. They create a LINE OF SIGHT. Why even bring mention of "re-zero for every shot, either by using using stadia markings (mildots) or by dialing" into the response to my photos? Everyone who has ever used a scope knows what they do. It isn't a revelation and has absolutely NO bearing on the photos and discussion, other than a level of precision in aiming. But the need to mention that ILLUSTRATES the Szottefeld fatal error-it ALWAYS bases it's view on a single "re-zeroed" distance.

scotchmo-"Please diagram the exception so I can better understand what you are describing."

You've basically already done about half of that, but as with every person who holds the Szottesfeld view, you stopped a bit short. That is the FATAL ERROR for Szottesfeld. Go back to your B0 and B90 diagram. Redo that illustration using a SIDE ON view but with a SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE HIGH SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET and a second SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE LOW SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET. REMEMBER to use a COMMON DISTANCE TO TARGET (the basis for the two zero method). Place the scope and muzzle to the left side of both diagrams and the target near the center. Leave some space to the right of the "target". These separate page drawings are still accurate and still show exactly the same relationships as your B0 and B90 drawings but it is easier to "see" the relationship between the two different heights. It's exactly the same illustration of the relationship, just less cluttered and people can view them more easily. As you've noted in the past, you often view things in terms of bore line while I focus on scope line and that is fine. It doesn't matter because they are connected by the scope rings. Fixed in relation to each other. To me, it is simply easier to "see" the relationship if you keep the scope horizontal and show the inclined bore below. But do it as you wish. Once you have those two pages, lay them side by side and look at them. You will see an angle between scope (you can also call the scope the LINE OF SIGHT or LOS, it's all the same) and bore on each individual drawing. But with each "scope height" set to a common base zero distance (distance to "the target", the ANGLES will be different. The lower scope height will produce a SHALLOWER angle of convergence from muzzle to target while the higher scope height will produce a STEEPER angle of convergence from muzzle to target.

Now the critical part. EXTEND EACH "BORE LINE" PAST THE "TARGET" and across the page to the right. You will observe that, as you get further and further beyond the "target" (increasing range), both lines continually DIVERGE FROM LOS but the steeper angle of the higher sight causes it to progressively be FURTHER DIVERGED from LOS in relation to the low sight line as distance increases. The SPECIFIC SCOPE HEIGHT produces a SPECIFIC CONVERGENCE ANGLE. DIFFERENT for each HEIGHT but specific to each. BEYOND the target, the CONVERGENCE becomes DIVERGENCE (simple geometry).

Now imagine firing a pellet from the LOW scope height setup using a perfectly vertical "gun cant" (meaning no cant is present). Assume 20 YARD ZERO. With the low sight (assume 2") and at 20 yards, the pellet "rises" (in relation to LOS, absolutely not in relation to gravity, common sense) exactly 2" to hit the target. BEYOND the target, it "rises" a bit more (again and as always, in relation to LOS) as gravity continually works to pull the pellet DOWN and now back TOWARD LOS. Assume the pellet manages to rise 1" above LOS before gravity halts the "rise". The pellet then continually "falls" (constant gravity at work) as it travels until it AGAIN crosses LOS. That is the SECOND ZERO for the LOW SIGHT, and assume it is at 40 yards.

To continue, now imagine firing a pellet from the HIGH scope height setup, still using a perfectly vertical "gun cant" i.e. NO CANT. Same as before. But now assume the scope height is 4" (the higher scope). That pellet "rises" (as above, in relation to LOS, not gravity as that isn't possible) exactly 4" to hit the target. BEYOND the target, that pellet "rises" a bit more as well but just a bit more than the low scope due to the ANGLE. Assume it manages to "rise" 2" above LOS (remember, the low sight only managed to "rise"1") then as always gravity continues to pull it DOWN and back TOWARD LOS. But because it has risen a bit higher and is travelling at about the same velocity, it "travels" a bit further until gravity (always there, always a contant") pulls it down to again intersect LOS. That is the SECOND ZERO for the HIGH SIGHT. But it is at a bit longer range because it "rose" a bit more above LOS. Assume the second zero in this case is 50 yards.

Last step. We are going to hold both "guns" vertical (0 "gun cant", not canted) Now aim the crosshair of the LOW SIGHT at the center of the "target" at the second zero distance (remember, it is at 40 yards). Shoot and you hit dead center. Because the pellet "rose" a bit above LOS and fell EXACTLY back onto LOS at that second zero distance. Now CANT 45 degrees in either direction. Doesn't matter which direction but lets assume a CLOCKWISE CANT AROUND THE LOS. WHY DO I SAY CANT AROUND LOS? Because when we shoot, we aim with the scope, or the open sights, or a red dot. That is the LOS. EYE to "SIGHT" (whatever it is) to TARGET. ALWAYS a STRAIGHT LINE. We DO NOT aim with the bore. Bore and LOS are connected physically, but we AIM with the LOS. AND it doesn't matter what particular TYPE of sight we use. They only vary in PRECISION. ALL are adjustable. Back to taking the shot. When canted and shot, the LOW setup will hit LOW and RIGHT with the CW cant direction. GRAVITY determines how much it will DROP. Always a constant, always working. But how much it hits LATERALLY is determined by the ANGLE OF DIVERGENCE and measured NOT from the bore BUT from the 20 yard base zero distance. WHY? Because that 20 yard distance was SET by the common zero distance for low and high scopes when we set up the two DIFFERENT HEIGHT SCOPES and sighted both in at 20 yards.

But now follow the same process as above with the HIGH SIGHT setup. Shoot "level" (again 0 "gun cant", not canted) and the pellet still "rises" above LOS (but it still "rises" a bit more than the low height setup AGAIN due to the angle). But the SECOND ZERO for this setup is 50 yards and that is the "target" distance that we are holding dead center on to hit dead center-50 yards. At 40 yards with the HIGH setup, the pellet is still a bit ABOVE LOS (remember, it "rose" a bit higher due to the angle) but gravity is pulling it straight down TOWARD LOS. At 50 YARDS, it has been pulled (straight down, by gravity) back onto LOS. We aim center with the HIGH SCOPE and hit center, AT 50 YARDS. NOW cant exactly the same as we did with the LOW SIGHT. Same amount of "gun cant". What happens at the 50 yard SECOND ZERO "target" distance? It hits low and right. As above. But because the ANGLE is steeper (from the original setup of HIGH vs. LOW and again, a SET angle for each setup but a DIFFERENT angle DUE TO HEIGHT), the HIGH setup impacts MORE laterally at 50 yards than did the low setup at 40 yards.

All this stuff can be difficult to visualize. Why? Because we are trying to reconcile the functions of ONE straight line (LOS) connected to a SECOND straight line (bore line) at an ANGLE (a SET angle for each SCOPE HEIGHT but a DIFFERENT angle for each SCOPE HEIGHT due to the common base zero distance used at setup for the 2 zero shooting method) all operating under the force of GRAVITY which produces a CURVED TRAJECTORY. But there are a couple of physical facts operating across all of this. GRAVITY works (affects) the pellet only in the vertical plane. It doesn't move the pellet left or right, only down. AND the ANGLE only works in the vertical plane, AS LONG AS NO CANT IS INTRODUCED. So in the uncanted position, we have both GRAVITY AND ANGLE working only in the vertical plane. BUT once we introduce ANY amount of cant, what happens to the forces. GRAVITY is a constant. It absolutely continues to work but only (and always) in the vertical plane. But think about the ANGLE function. As we begin to cant, we take some of the vertical effect of the angle (100% in the vertical with no cant) and transfer it to the horizontal. More cant and more transfer from vertical to horizontal. By 90 degrees of cant (gun on it's side) we have 100% of the ANGLE now operating in the horizontal and 0% working in the vertical. All the while through the canting process, gravity has not varied in either force or direction. IT GETS VERY HARD TO EASILY VISUALIZE THE COMPLICATED INTERRELATIONSHPS. 

This statement is false-"scope height above bore does not affect cant error". It is false because it suggests that scope height above bore NEVER affects cant error. Even good ole Szottesfeld admitted that scope height above bore DOES affect cant error, in "certain instances". A shooter can dislike those instances or prefer to shoot in a different manner than those instances, and that is perfectly valid and scope height might well NOT effect cant error for those methods. But that is a PREFERENCE for a certain "instance" (or method) of aiming and shooting and IN NO WAY INVALIDATES THOSE "OTHER" INSTANCES, A person can say that "holding over with the crosshair is an aiming error" but it sure seems odd that if I know the drop for a given distance and I know that a target is at that distance, I can hold over WITH THE CROSSHAIR with no gun cant and I'll hit the target. But using the same method, if I introduce gun cant then I miss the target while "aiming" at exactly the same point. I'll ask a question again that I've asked before, how can anyone state that this is an "aiming error". Even Szottesfeld admitted that this works as I've described, admitting that the miss would be more for a higher mounted scope. This statement is true-"scope height above bore does not effect cant error if you click to zero". Perfectly valid. Because it isn't overgeneralized and doesn't mislead those who are trying to understand the topic into thinking that IN NO CASE WILL SCOPE HEIGHT EVER AFFECT CANT ERROR.

One more thing I want to point out. Go back and look at the photos I posted near the beginning of this thread. Note that I marked then the changing wind conditions during that shooting. I shot the open sight group (a LOW SIGHT but relatively high on the LGV as it's open sights are pretty high off the bore) first and in more calm conditions with a low value left to right wind and saw a given lateral movement related to a given amount of cant. CCW cant producing a lateral movement to the left of POI in a lighter wind. Then note that by the time I remounted, rezeroed, and shot the group with the HIGHER SIGHT (the scope but not a particularly highly mounted scope) the wind value was still from the left but had increased noticeably. Again a matching CCW cant moving the group to the left but in a noticeably higher amount of wind from the left. Just how much a wind can move a pellet has been discussed quite a bit recently. It can be a larger amount than expected. This lessened the amount of cant error that the scope produced because the cant error was trying to move impact left and the higher wind was pushing it further back right than the lower value wind had for the open sights. There was a clear difference in lateral movement in the two but I believe it would have been even more if conditions had been calm or even as least the same. Any testing of these setups must be done in calm conditions to be easily viewed and at the very least they should be consistent conditions.

As to dismissing open sight vs. scope comparison, one should at least thoroughly evaluate what I wrote above before doing so.

In all the above, it certainly seems that you are still tied, inseparable, and unable to relate to what happens BEYOND "your" target. I'm going to assume (we all know what happens then, but it seems necessary) that "But if there is no ranging error" means you are ignoring the most important part of my question-what happens at the second zero points for each setup that I described in comparison to the other? I believe you are ignoring that because you consider it a "ranging error" or "aiming error" because the shooter didn't simply CLICK TO A SINGLE ZERO. I believe I understand that the statement "We use scope height to move the Point Blank Range into the range that we prefer, not to reduce cant errors" means that you don't want to consider that 2 zero method and what happens at the second zero point because FT shooters generally don't shoot that way. I do believe that I adequately described above why it is neither a "ranging error" or "aiming error" FOR THE 2 ZERO METHOD, even if the second zero distances are different.

"...it certainly seems that you are still tied, inseparable, and unable to relate to what happens BEYOND "your" target...."

For this discussion, I am only concerned with what happens at the target, not beyond.

"...you don't want to consider that 2 zero method and what happens at the second zero point because FT shooters generally don't shoot that way...."

FT shooters pretty much all shoot that way since we shoot target at all distances from 10yds to 55yds. My 20yd zero is the same as my 53yd zero. Same number of click (16) and the same holdover mark (2moa). I don't consider the 2nd zero when I'm shooting the 1st. And I don't consider the 1st zero when I'm shooting the 2nd.

scotchmo-"Please diagram the exception so I can better understand what you are describing."

You've basically already done about half of that, but as with every person who holds the Szottesfeld view, you stopped a bit short. That is the FATAL ERROR for Szottesfeld. Go back to your B0 and B90 diagram. Redo that illustration using a SIDE ON view but with a SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE HIGH SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET and a second SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE LOW SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET. REMEMBER to use a COMMON DISTANCE TO TARGET (the basis for the two zero method). Place the scope and muzzle to the left side of both diagrams and the target near the center. ...

Now the critical part. EXTEND EACH "BORE LINE" PAST THE "TARGET" and across the page to the right. You will observe that, as you get further and further beyond the "target" (increasing range), both lines continually DIVERGE FROM LOS but the steeper angle of the higher sight causes it to progressively be FURTHER DIVERGED from LOS

"...Now the critical part. EXTEND EACH "BORE LINE" PAST THE "TARGET" and across the page to the right. You will observe that, as you get further and further beyond the "target" (increasing range), both lines continually DIVERGE FROM LOS but the steeper angle of the higher sight causes it to progressively be FURTHER DIVERGED from LOS..."

Once you extend "PAST THE "TARGET""(target plane), you are now at a farther disatnce. Any divergence is then a range error. There is no divergence at the target.

"...Redo that illustration using a SIDE ON view but with a SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE HIGH SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET and a second SINGLE PAGE SHOWING THE LOW SCOPE, BORE, AND THAT CONVERGENCE ANGLE TO TARGET. REMEMBER to use a COMMON DISTANCE TO TARGET (the basis for the two zero method). Place the scope and muzzle to the left side of both diagrams..."

You should do the diagrams as I've already modeled it in 3D and looked at it from every angle. The only cant error is that resulting from gravity. There is no component introduced by the difference in scope height. If you are able to use 2D descriptive geometry to adequately model it, go ahead. You should then be able to derive the equations that show the actual magnitude of the error. Experiments with precise shooting will confirm the errors predicted by the equations. Photos of dubious shooting accuracy in the wind really tells us nothing definitive. When you have done the proof, including the equations to verify, I might respond again.

It is your assertion that additional cant error is induced by the difference in scope height. You think that is true. My assertion is that is false. Don't ask my to prove a negative. You believe it is true, so it's on you to prove it.

Reactions: Gunnertrones
About what I expected. Still stuck on "range error" and "at the target" (i.e. a single click to distance). Even Szottesfeld was smart enough to add (although begrudgingly as I noted because of his FT biased view) his caveat that scope height does make a difference in certain circumstances. I guess there is no "debate" here as you referred to this back and forth recently. There is one point of view (those who SELECTIVELY agree with Szottesfeld) and another point of view (those who don't agree with that view at all). If nothing else, I believe that at least CONSISTENCY is on the side of the non-Szottesfeld viewpoint. I'm not going to change and it doesn't seem you are either so as has been the case for a long time now, we'll have to agree to disagree. And you (i.e. the Szottesfeld supporters) have repeatedly stated a negative after Szottesfeld himself basically said OK, hold it a second, I'm actually correct in my negative BUT there are circumstances where I'm not. Doesn't seem like there's anything for me to prove so I'll spend my time shooting. Best to you, hope you shoot well.

I promised I would conduct another canting experiment using holdover to see if two simple concepts could correctly predict the outcome in this second scenario:

1. The point of impact will always be below the bore line by the amount of drop at the target distance.
  2. The bore line remains the same distance from the aimpoint regardless of cant angle.
    [/LIST=1]

In this experiment I intended to use a 2.0" holdover at 35 yards, but it was dark and when I retrieved the target I could see the holdover was actually 2.25". Using my Harrier again, drop at 35 yards was predicted to be 3.82". I measured an average of 3.85" on the target.

P4260502.1619487472.jpg

As you can see, with a 2.25" holdover and 3.85" drop the bore line can be assumed to be 1.6" above the aimpoint. Accordingly, when the rifle is rotated 90 degrees the bore line will be displaced laterally the same 1.6". The groups produced by a 90 degree cant should appear 1.6" (average) left or right of the aimpoint, and below the aimpoint by the 3.85" drop value. And they do. Note that scope height did not need to be taken into consideration to adequately predict or explain cant behavior when holdover is used. Nor did scope height need to be taken into account to predict cant behavior when a conventional aiming method (aimpoint/POI at crosshairs) is used as shown previously.

P4180462.1619488510.jpg

The only difference in the outcome is that the holdover method produces less elevation and windage "error" due to the bore line being closer to the aimpoint (max error of 1.6" from intended POI versus 3.8").

Reactions: Gunnertrones

I promised I would conduct another canting experiment using holdover to see if two simple concepts could correctly predict the outcome in this second scenario:

1. The point of impact will always be below the bore line by the amount of drop at the target distance.
  2. The bore line remains the same distance from the aimpoint regardless of cant angle.
    [/LIST=1]

In this experiment I intended to use a 2.0" holdover at 35 yards, but it was dark and when I retrieved the target I could see the holdover was actually 2.25". Using my Harrier again, drop at 35 yards was predicted to be 3.82". I measured an average of 3.85" on the target.

P4260502.1619487472.jpg

As you can see, with a 2.25" holdover and 3.85" drop the bore line can be assumed to be 1.6" above the aimpoint. Accordingly, when the rifle is rotated 90 degrees the bore line will be displaced laterally the same 1.6". The groups produced by a 90 degree cant should appear 1.6" (average) left or right of the aimpoint, and below the aimpoint by the 3.85" drop value. And they do. Note that scope height did not need to be taken into consideration to adequately predict or explain cant behavior when holdover is used. Nor did scope height need to be taken into account to predict cant behavior when a conventional aiming method (aimpoint/POI at crosshairs) is used as shown previously.

P4180462.1619488510.jpg

The only difference in the outcome is that the holdover method produces less elevation and windage "error" due to the bore line being closer to the aimpoint (max error of 1.6" from intended POI versus 3.8").

1. Once again, a "static", "single zero, "distance to target" error in experimentation. The SAME condition at the SAME distance repeated over and over, erroneously drawing the same faulty "conclusion".

If you TRULY want to "EXPERIMENT" on this, then do what is necessary to seperate the relevant variable-SCOPE HEIGHT-from the noise. I would suggest that you do this-

1-shoot your rifle with a low scope zeroed at 20 yards. Shoot groups.

2-"IDENTIFY" the second zero distance where you hit dead on for that scope height . It will be a specific distance DEPENDENT ON SCOPE HEIGHT. Shoot groups.

3-cant a consistent amount-say 5 degrees and, at that second zero distance, shoot groups.

4-OBSERVE the lateral cant error amount produced by THAT scope height at that second ZEROED distance.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REPEAT THE ABOVE PROCESS WITH A HIGHER MOUNTED SCOPE AND SEE IF YOU NOTICE A DIFFERENCE

Time and effort involved to do so but it is the ONLY way to truly separate the relative effects of scope height from the "NOISE" of single zero/click-to/target distance that is constantly repeated by some.

NOTE THIS=YOU will be shooting, in each respective SIMILAR (an aim point at a zero distance and a specific cant amount used) but DIFFERENT (different scope heights) case, "aiming" correctly at the target (not an "aiming" error) at the identified specific distance (not a "ranging" error) that each case produces. The scope heights are different in each case and that dictates that the trajectory from LOS will be different for each case and thus that second zero distance will different for each case. That is an UNAVOIDABLE sequelae to changing the scope height and will be there UNLESS ONE IS ALWAYS CLICKING TO ZERO.

LET THE SZOTTESFELD/FIELD TARGET GUYS chime in yelling "ranging error"or "aiming error" or "you aren't doing something right". This is the only DIRECT comparison that can be made as to the effects produced by scope height. Everything else is a limited view based on "HOW" one specific group tends to shoot i.e. FIELD TARGET view or SINGLE ZERO ONLY view, or whatever other view there may be.

Try that if you are willing to take the time. I have done so in the past with long range firearms. I understand the effects. I don't feel the need to repeat what I've done BECAUSE I understand the effects. If you really want to verify the effects, do the above comparison.

For bandg: The point of the experiments was to verify that cant error can be predicted by knowing just the drop at a given distance, and holdover if holdover is used. So it is no longer necessary to perform real world experiments if you have access to software that can calculate trajectories accurately.

For the scenarios that you describe, and using trajectories for my rifle I come up with the following:

Scope height 1.76", first zero at 20 yards

• Second zero = 28 yards
  • Time of flight to 28 yards = 0.132 seconds
  • Drop at 28 yards = 3.37"
  • Error at 45 degrees = 0.707 * 3.37 = 2.38"

Scope height 2.76", first zero at 20 yards

• Second zero = 42.5 yards
  • Time of flight to 42.5 yards = 0.173 seconds
  • Drop at 42.5 yards = 5.78"
  • Error at 45 degrees = 0.707 * 5.78 = 4.09"

Without a doubt the errors are different at the second zero. But that is because the second zero distances are different. No matter how you manage to zero at 28 and 42.5 yards, the errors at 45 degrees will remain 2.38" and 4.09" respectively.

The one scenario that I thought did show an effect of scope height on cant error was the commonly used technique of zeroing for a midrange distance and using holdover for longer distances. Because holdover does affect cant error, and scope height will affect the required holdover at longer distances, there can be an impact of scope height when using holdover. Again for my rifle zeroed at 35 yards, and using holdover at 50 yards:

Scope height 1.76"

• Time of flight to 50 yards = 0.207 seconds
  • Drop at 50 yards = 8.28"
  • Required holdover = 1.79"
  • Error at 90 degrees = 8.28 - 1.79 = 6.49"
  • Error at 45 degrees = 0.707 * 6.49 = 4.59"

Scope height 2.76"

• Time of flight to 50 yards = 0.207 seconds
  • Drop at 50 yards = 8.28"
  • Required holdover = 1.36"
  • Error at 90 degrees = 8.28 - 1.36 = 6.92"
  • Error at 45 degrees = 0.707 * 6.92 = 4.88"

It might be surprising that the higher scope height produced a larger cant error, but that is because less holdover was required. As shown in the second experiment, holdover reduces the cant error at any given distance.

I have enjoyed the discussion as well, but don't think I have a lot more to contribute. Ironically, like many position shooters I do use cant, but deal with it by simply zeroing with the rifle canted. Thanks to all who participated, it has been a learning experience.

MIchigander

"Without a doubt the errors are different at the second zero. But that is because the second zero distances are different. No matter how you manage to zero at 28 and 42.5 yards, the errors at 45 degrees will remain 2.38" and 4.09" respectively."

'Without a doubt the errors are different at the second zero". I knew that decades ago, know it now, and will know it in the future. And the difference in cant error seen will progressively widen as distance increases. As has been said all along. The "but" you inserted after that is exactly why there will never be agreement on this subject. There is no logical "but". There is an egocentric "but", as in "if you aren't shooting the way I do then you're doing something wrong". There are plenty of shooters that utilize the method I described. Who sight in the rifle and don't click for every different shot. For some reason, you still assume here that everyone else should shoot the way you do-"click to" or "set to" a common distance. Of course the second zero distances are different. They are different EXACTLY because the scope heights are different. Impossible to make it otherwise, as long distance firearms shooters (whom even Szottesfeld admitted were correct in their views, thus his "exception") understand. Without a doubt the errors are different=higher scope produces more cant error. I don't see how it can be any more simply illustrated.

Of course, once could say "you must set to a common second zero distance". WHY? AND ACCORDING TO WHOM? And even if one DID set the second zero distances exactly equal, then the near zero distances would be different. UNLESS SOME CLICKING WAS DONE. BACK TO CLICK TO DISTANCE AGAIN. A catch-22 situation here that is serving no purpose.

I install a scope with low mounts and zero it for 50 yards, and perhaps find I need to use 4 dots of holdover to hit the bullseye at 100 yards.

Then I install another scope above it, and also zero that one for 50 yards. On account of it being higher above the bore, I find I need just 3 mildots of holdover instead of 4 to hit the bullseye at 100 yards.

Using the appropriate mildot of each scope, I hit the bullseye at 100 yards. What's going on there? With the low scope, the pellet's trajectory intersects mildot 4 at 100 yards. Similarly, with the high scope, the pellet's trajectory intersects mildot 3 at 100 yards. What does that demonstrate to us? It says these two mildots lie on top of each other at 100 yards. They overlap onto the same point in space...our aim point...the target.

Then I take my gun and accidentally cant it, and aim at my target at 100 yards and squeeze the trigger. Oops, the pellet landed an inch off to the right of where I wanted.

Wait, did I leave out something important? Oh, which scope was I looking through when I squeezed the trigger? Was I aiming using mildot 4 of the low scope, or was I aiming using mildot 3 of the high scope?

And that's the point. I didn't need to tell you which one because it didn't matter. These two mildots lie on top of each other at 100 yards. They lie on top of each other when I'm holding the gun correctly. They lie on top of each other when I'm not. And when I squeezed the trigger, the pellet didn't know or care which scope I was looking through.

I install a scope with low mounts and zero it for 50 yards, and perhaps find I need to use 4 dots of holdover to hit the bullseye at 100 yards.

Then I install another scope above it, and also zero that one for 50 yards. On account of it being higher above the bore, I find I need just 3 mildots of holdover instead of 4 to hit the bullseye at 100 yards.

Using the appropriate mildot of each scope, I hit the bullseye at 100 yards. What's going on there? With the low scope, the pellet's trajectory intersects mildot 4 at 100 yards. Similarly, with the high scope, the pellet's trajectory intersects mildot 3 at 100 yards. What does that demonstrate to us? It says these two mildots lie on top of each other at 100 yards. They overlap onto the same point in space...our aim point...the target.

Then I take my gun and accidentally cant it, and aim at my target at 100 yards and squeeze the trigger. Oops, the pellet landed an inch off to the right of where I wanted.

Wait, did I leave out something important? Oh, which scope was I looking through when I squeezed the trigger? Was I aiming using mildot 4 of the low scope, or was I aiming using mildot 3 of the high scope?

And that's the point. I didn't need to tell you which one because it didn't matter. These two mildots lie on top of each other at 100 yards. They lie on top of each other when I'm holding the gun correctly. They lie on top of each other when I'm not. And when I squeezed the trigger, the pellet didn't know or care which scope I was looking through.

I told you long ago that I wasn't certain that using mil-dot holdovers would be the same or different than the holdover method (using crosshairs) that I described. Even Szottesfeld admitted that the cant error would be greater for a higher scope using that method. I believed that the cant error might be the same for both cross-hair holdover and mil-dot holdover but I wasn't certain. I'm still not certain because I haven't verified it myself. Feel free to ILLUSTRATE for me with actual shooting.

But once again, this is "circular logic". I am pretty certain that YOU are the one that claimed the use of mil-dots was "the same" as clicking to zero. So once again, click to zero (in another form) rears it's ugly head in claiming no difference for cant error. Michigander DISCOUNTED my 20 yard zero example (while correctly noting that there IS a difference in observed cant error produced by high vs. low scope at the second zero distances) because the far zeroes "aren't the same". But then you try to present your view as correct by using 2 different aiming points for a common zero distance. The two things are flip sides of the same coin. But YOURS is correct and THE OTHER isn't. Circular, and faulty. But feel free to address my 20 yard zero example presented above to Michigander in precise terms. 

In addition and after just a few minutes of thought, there is another reason that you cannot grasp what makes you incorrect. You are stating that you have 2 scopes mounted on the gun simultaneously. OK. I'll play along. BOTH zeroed at 50 yards and BOTH mounted level-placed correctly in the vertical plane. OK? 2 different mil-dots used for a "correct" aim at 100 yards. Right? Then you state you "aim and cant" not mentioning which scope you aim through. But that's OK. That is part of your circular logic assumption at work and I'll be glad to correct it for you. ASSUME in YOUR example that you ARE looking through a scope. ASSUME it is the low scope. LOS is the low scope. All good, right. Now cant the gun. You stated "an inch off to the right" for impact so by definition you canted clockwise.

Now try to follow-what happens when you cant as described? The BORE moves left off vertical below the scope. Correct? The shot thus starts left near the muzzle, crosses at 50 yards, and hits 1" right at 100 yards. Correct?

I'll let you consider where this is going and see if you agree with what I've described so far and I'll continue later.

What you derisively and repeatedly refer to as “circular logic” is just logic.

We have two lines of sight that converge to a precise point in space at 100 yards. These lines of sight are established by mildot 4 in the low scope and mildot 3 in the high scope.

Light is not affected by gravity…at least not the kind of gravity we have here on Earth. Therefore these two lines of sight converge at 100 yards whether I’m holding the gun perfectly level, laid on its side, or upside down.

However where my pellet landed is at the mercy of gravity. When I missed the mark by an inch to the right, I missed it by an inch relative to mildot 4 of the low scope and an inch relative to mildot 3 of the high scope. There is no other possible outcome.

"There is no other possible outcome."

There you have it. But they can REPEATEDLY refer to "click to" or "target distance" or "not an identical distance so not accurate" or other such deflections. No need to converse further because I illustrated clearly with Michigander (and he had to conceed my view, but.....). As usual, "but.....". Note the CIRCULAR LOGIC ("derision" deserved) view that because the second zero distances weren't "the same", the view wasn't valid. ANYONE reading this can ask themselves a simple question-do I shoot like the FT crowd in all or even most situations or do I set up my gun for my shooting needs and shoot as I set it up.

I'll also note that nervoustrigger didn't bother to answer my question about agreement (or not) with what I had writtern just above his post. NO ANSWER TO A SIMPLE QUESTION ASKED SIMPLY FOR CLARITY-TO CONFIRM THAT I WAS ACCURATELY LAYING OUT HIS VIEW. Deflection?.

I'll make one simple point. Note that in the post I made to Michigander regarding the 20 yard zero experiment (where he stated that YES, the higher scope caused more cant error but........ Always a "but" with these guys. Most importantly, note that I laid out a scenario that ANYONE reading this COULD actually set up for and see ACTUAL results from shooting the comparison. Takes a bit of effort, but it can be done. How many reading this think it is even possible to physically test nervoustrigger's TWO MOUNTED SCOPES stuff? ANYONE? So one scenario that COULD be done and tested challenged with a scenario that would require fabrication and/or welding to even set up for. EXPERIMENT VS. THEORY. Read the Michigander post in response to what I proposed if you really want to see the distinction between the different camps. But also note that it doesn't appear that even Michigander actually SHOT the comparison. It appears he RAN the comparison in a program. ANYONE could follow what I proposed and, with a bit of effort, mount both a high and low mount scope and ACTUALLY PHYSICALLY SHOOT to compare them.

And since nervoustrigger didn't address my question as to whether I had correctly laid out the situation FOR COMPARISON above, I'll suggest what you can consider in relation to his "2 SCOPE" stuff. 2 scopes mounted. ACTUALLY look through the lower scope. LOS created. AIMED at target. CANT clockwise (he noted impact to right so CW cant). Bore rotates to left from beneath the scope and away from the vertical. ANGLE IS CREATED from vertical which affects both amount of lateral movement as well as amount of ACTUAL drop. In that conveniently confusing example (which is actually relevant to nothing and not remotely easy to test) he neglects to mention WHAT ELSE ROTATES OFF THE VERTICAL. Since he chose not to answer my question-simply whether I had laid out HIS scenario correctly, I chose not to state the difference (the ERROR). A little thought on the matter might be enlightening to those wanting to understand, however.

I'd simply point out that anyone reading this can decide for themselves on accuracy of the discussion. Personally, I've always relied more on what I could VERIFY (an actual test of what is said, say maybe an actual shooting test each person COULD do in relation to how THEY shoot) over any THEORY (possibly supported by many but not experimentally shown or even ABLE to be experimentally shown by any given individual shooter). Each shooter can certainly draw his own conclusions about this and proceed accordingly. Hope it works out to each shooter's benefit.

Over and out.

Bandg, the answer to your question is represented in Scott’s diagram where circled.

Because the severity of cant error is determined chiefly by the amount of drop (for the small cant angles typical of normal shooting), the error is small for close shots and grows ever larger with increasing distance.

That is a characteristic of cant error bound to my example only in the most tenuous way.

I look forward to seeing you substantiate how two identical points of aim produce different errors.