Canada calls to ban Airsoft, Pellet, and BB Guns - Bill C-21

What does this bill propose to accomplish? Are all these "replica guns" a huge problem right now?

And of course there is stuff intended to directly help communities in the bill too -- that's how they justify passing it! If each bill were only ONE issue, much less would get passed. Instead, they serve it up like a 5 course meal on one plate. You have to buy the whole plate, even if you only want 3 of the courses. Bad analogy, but you get the picture.

For the liberals it's to make their constituency believe they're being tough on gun crime. Replica's get used in crimes because they're easy to obtain, I wouldn't call the frequency a problem, but I don't have access to that information. However in my personal view, I'd rather a criminal rob a corner store with a replica pistol than a blackmarket 9MM that's far more dangerous. 

They're claiming they're cleaning up a grey area in the law, which to me solves nothing.

What does this bill propose to accomplish? Are all these "replica guns" a huge problem right now?

And of course there is stuff intended to directly help communities in the bill too -- that's how they justify passing it! If each bill were only ONE issue, much less would get passed. Instead, they serve it up like a 5 course meal on one plate. You have to buy the whole plate, even if you only want 3 of the courses. Bad analogy, but you get the picture.

For the liberals it's to make their constituency believe they're being tough on gun crime. Replica's get used in crimes because they're easy to obtain, I wouldn't call the frequency a problem, but I don't have access to that information. However in my personal view, I'd rather a criminal rob a corner store with a replica pistol than a blackmarket 9MM that's far more dangerous. 

They're claiming they're cleaning up a grey area in the law, which to me solves nothing.

Seems to me "being tough on gun crime" would be punishing the criminals using the replica for crime. Maybe they should hold each person accountable for using a replica as if it were a real firearm -- and just punish the crime as if it were committed with a real firearm.

That would probably be too logical though.

"They" made them sell them with orange tips instead of an outright ban,it was close ,but compromise won......that was because some youths were being killed by stupidity and ignorance;bad knowledge,and lack of education is the biggest cause of ignorance....Mothers do not want dead children because of it.The ban was to protect.....a grieving family seen on TV is a strong motivation....I am talking about replicas,which I own about 15. some have orange tips some don't ,none are taking off my property......

it was children being killed by men in blue because the plastic guns were thought to be real..,the fault was the men in blue...

The children did not understand what was going on,they were playing and had no idea the cops would shoot them...THAT IS THE TRUTH111111 why orange tips are put on the ends of replies

Again guessing as to why has No place in something as serious as life and death.....

How do you feel about what I wrote,it is the truth of what happened where I live.......the main point to remember ,out of sight out of mind and all guns need to be treated as real===because ignorance makes them real....Ignorance makes them real!!!!

Half truth. Orange tips were needed because hating cops was glorified in music and popular culture and THAT is also truth ..

This law is liberal social engineering. This is what you get when the citizens ask government to do the job of parents.

Keep asking the state to protect you from stubbing your toe. Eventually the state will solve the problem by removing your feet.

Laws as stupid as the orange tip law are INSTANTLY defeated with a fifty cent role of electrical tape or worse used to cause a cop to second guess himself in the middle of a shooting... OR even worse a role of orange tape is used to get that first free shot... The truth here is the orange tip law is poorly reasoned on all points.

ALL THIS LIP SERVICE TO TRUTH WOULD BE FUNNY IF IT WEREN'T SO PREDICTABLY ONE SIDED

Never managed to grasp the Canadian law on airguns....If someone can enlighten me to the madness I am all ears...

So lets get this right, you can have a .30 Cal travelling at 499 fps out of a quakenbush air rifle, capable of taking out a decent Dog Fox...or even a human quite possibly, but are not allowed to use my modded .177 Walther LP53 at 520 fps for a bit of close range ratting....

It does not make any rational sense, but I can now see why I got a PM warning when i showed the mod of the Walther I did over on the Canadian Forum....in all ignorance. Threatened with a ban I stopped.

Never managed to grasp the Canadian law on airguns....If someone can enlighten me to the madness I am all ears...

So lets get this right, you can have a .30 Cal travelling at 499 fps out of a quakenbush air rifle, capable of taking out a decent Dog Fox, but are not allowed to use my modded Walther LP53 at 520 fps for a bit of close range ratting.....or even a 500 fps 4 grain bb gun at half the Ftlbs ..

It does not make any rational sense, but I can now see why I got a PM warning when i showed the mod of the Walther I did over on the Canadian Forum. Threatened with a ban I stopped.

When you take an airgun pistol (not rifle) above 500 FPS, it becomes a "restricted firearm". Which you would need a RPAL license to legally own, the fact that it's a modified airgun also means it's not registered, therefore completely illegal. This is why the forum was so bullish on discussion about that modification.

In Canada any object that is designed to fire a projectile above 500 FPS requires a license. A rifle becomes a non-restricted firearm, still legal in Canada so far... if you've got the correct license. We shall see how far their ban reaches when it's all said and done. With the "assault style" weapon ban, they keep adding more everyday to the list. 

Canada is way ahead of us when it comes to being a nanny-state. They are closely following their monarchy in the UK and Europe in general. Upon crossing the border into Canada you must declare your bb guns above 500fps and God forbid you try to drive from/to Alaska across Canada with any firearms/hunting arms. Jail and bail awaits with mandatory court hearing(s) in person weeks later.

You fill out a form at the border with your bb gun over 500fps and they give you a copy. You have to register it within a month(?) with the local authorities (Ontario) and you cannot use it until your get your unrestricted firearm license.. You have to schedule yourself for a safety/firearm handling course. If you are lucky you only wait about 3 months in the "cue". Then after you pass it, you will start your paperwork to register it and license it. Several forms and lengthy paperwork that require a recent photo signed on the back by someone who lived with you for at least 2-3(?) years stating that it's really you. Then a different person who lived with you must co-sign the form that you are not a mental-case and have/had no homicidal tendencies or prone to physical battery. If you do not have anyone to sign who knows you that intimately except your ex...you are screwed if she hates you. After about 6 months (if you are lucky and super fast) you get to shoot your bb gun finally. But that's only if the bb gun's make. and model was already listed in the province's firearm registry system. If not, then you have to provide them more paperwork that shows the manufacturing details and capabilities of the bb gun. If you are lucky it does not have any removable baffles inside the shroud or anything that can lower the report of the shot...or it is considered a silencer and thus illegal. Now that you are finally legal, you have to make sure that you have on it a trigger lock or inside a locked case when traveling. 

If you think about how Canada even got to this point in the first place, then speaking up and protecting the freedoms of 2A and the US Constitution seems even more important than ever. I posted this in a separate post, but think it makes sense to also point out here: 

Just remember changes happen over periods of time. It's a slow degradation that occurs. Look at marketing and it's influence on Youtube over the years. Did they just one day suddenly insert all these ads in our face? NO, it happens gradually over the course of time by slowly implementing small changes. It's the slow degradation of your freedoms and rights over time. This has also been explained in history. 

If you think about how Canada even got to this point in the first place, then speaking up and protecting the freedoms of 2A and the US Constitution seems even more important than ever. I posted this in a separate post, but think it makes sense to also point out here: 

Just remember changes happen over periods of time. It's a slow degradation that occurs. Look at marketing and it's influence on Youtube over the years. Did they just one day suddenly insert all these ads in our face? NO, it happens gradually over the course of time by slowly implementing small changes. It's the slow degradation of your freedoms and rights over time. This has also been explained in history. 

Death by a thousand cuts.

We don't have a 2A like rights in Canada, in fact we have ZERO rights to a firearm. We must complete training, pass a test, submit an application with references, get fully vetted by the RCMP before we get obtain a license to purchase a firearm. The bill has not passed yet, but as of right now anyone 18+ can purchase and use a BB, Pellet, Airsoft gun as long as it's under 500 FPS, which is exactly what they aim to remove right now in a broad sense. 

They should have left "fps" out of the equation because to me they are just trying to get realistic looking toy guns off the market, period. Crooks use them in holdups and every year some kid with a C02 Glock replica gets killed by a cop who didn't know it was a toy. I hate to see the government have to step in on this kind of thing. You would think airgun makers would have enough sense to regulate this themselves.

Glenn in Texas