• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Canada calls to ban Airsoft, Pellet, and BB Guns - Bill C-21

They should have left "fps" out of the equation because to me they are just trying to get realistic looking toy guns off the market, period. Crooks use them in holdups and every year some kid with a C02 Glock replica gets killed by a cop who didn't know it was a toy. I hate to see the government have to step in on this kind of thing. You would think airgun makers would have enough sense to regulate this themselves.

Glenn in Texas

Glenn,

A kid getting killed because of a C02 Glock Replica... As sad as that is, that line of thinking means, we should ban ALL toy guns.. Kids are get gunned down with plastic toys as well, if they're messing around and they're pointing them at cops. Which is the wrong way to handle things, we can't be that type of society where we dumb down our laws for the lowest common denominator, or else soon we won't have any freedoms. If anyone is dumb enough to mess about with a firearm, real, toy, replica, around cops... they're the outlier. 

Also while we're at it Alcohol kills more people in America than guns each year, should we ban that too? No, because that line of thinking is wrong.

As far as the robberies go, I personally would WAY rather a crook hold up the corner store with the Glock C02 replica, over the blackmarket 9mm version. Because you know he's going to use something. Again, this type of law won't solve anything. Criminals will still find ways to do the dirty deeds they need to do.

They should have left "fps" out of the equation because to me they are just trying to get realistic looking toy guns off the market, period. Crooks use them in holdups and every year some kid with a C02 Glock replica gets killed by a cop who didn't know it was a toy. I hate to see the government have to step in on this kind of thing. You would think airgun makers would have enough sense to regulate this themselves.

Glenn in Texas

Glenn,

Like I wrote before in response to this on another thread, I would way rather a Criminal use a Replica to rob a store over a real firearm. As sad as anyone losing their life is, especially young people, anyone brandishing any firearm, toy or not in front of the police should know the risks, that includes children. It comes down to teaching children about guns at a young age. I have two boys 5 and 7, they aren't even allowed to point their toy guns at each other, as we teach them to respect guns. Kids have been shot by police with plastic toy guns, are we going to remove toy guns completely? 

How about education over laws? 

Alcohol kills more people than guns in North America every year, we're not banning that...

Haven't seen seen anyone mention it yet so I'll throw it out there. Here in the U.S. we have the 2nd Amendment in our Constitution. Politicians here can watch & hope all they want and they can certainly do some damage around the periphery but in the end, we here are protected by our right to bear arms. So not the same thing as Canada legislature by any means.

Best,

Steve 

Haven't seen seen anyone mention it yet so I'll throw it out there. Here in the U.S. we have the 2nd Amendment in our Constitution. Politicians here can watch & hope all they want and they can certainly do some damage around the periphery but in the end, we here are protected by our right to bear arms. So not the same thing as Canada legislature by any means.

Best,

Steve

Correct Canada does not have the 2A. Being duel citizen, I literally always weigh that and our 1A against the great things about Canada (and there are a lot) and always decide that America is still the best country in the world haha

I can't verify this but I read an email notification this morning from GunsAmerica, which I receive regularly, claiming that Trudeau is on the verge of instituting a governmental "gun buyback" to eliminate many types of firearms from private ownership. Would be interesting to hear what Canadians actually say about this as I know little about the Canadian system other than that it is generally much less "gun friendly" than the US.

I can't verify this but I read an email notification this morning from GunsAmerica, which I receive regularly, claiming that Trudeau is on the verge of instituting a governmental "gun buyback" to eliminate many types of firearms from private ownership. Would be interesting to hear what Canadians actually say about this as I know little about the Canadian system other than that it is generally much less "gun friendly" than the US.

Let's start by saying the majority of gun crime in canada is committed with illegal guns, by non-license holding criminals. Mostly gangs fighting each other. 

The Buyback program isn't much of a buyback, the government never sold any firearms to Canadians in the first place, so there is no "Buy back". They've also set aside $600 million dollars for this program, that would be better suited in border security (that's where most illegal guns come from), or gang education programs for kids to help kids from getting into gangs in the first place. 

Reactions: Glem.Chally

Best,

Steve

Steve,

You are correct, Canada has ZERO gun rights. The USA can, and most likely will at some point, restrict which arms you're allowed to have 2a does not protect against that. It just states you have the right to bear arms, that could be a single shot bolt action if the government decides. Which they're already making changes down there to what they want to restrict, right? 

Let's start by saying the majority of gun crime in canada is committed with illegal guns, by non-license holding criminals. Mostly gangs fighting each other. 

The Buyback program isn't much of a buyback, the government never sold any firearms to Canadians in the first place, so there is no "Buy back". They've also set aside $600 million dollars for this program, that would be better suited in border security (that's where most illegal guns come from), or gang education programs for kids to help kids from getting into gangs in the first place.

And thus why "gun buyback" was in quotations. The article very appropriately stated exactly that the "government" never sold any firearms. It appears that it is a confiscation (not in quotations) instead of a "gun buyback". But I'm not in Canada and can't even verify that the Trudeau proposal exists. Just something I read. Wouldn't surprise me at all, but not something I can personally verify.