• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can you shoot cleaning pellets through your FX guns?

I have used them in my FX Independence and other air rifles and I always back them up with a pellet. This is especially important for springers to maintain compression and prevent damage.

I have loaded two felt cleaning pellets without a backup lead pellet in PCP type rifles and then recovered them in the yard to verify that there are dark stripes on them from removed gunk. I usually load a cleaning pellet and then a lead pellet behind it. I think it would be easier to shoot these into a bucket of water to recover and see how dirty the felt pellets are.

Again, for the spring piston guns, absolutely do not use a felt cleaning pellet without a backup lead pellet behind it to prevent damage.

I have used them in my FX Independence and other air rifles and c This is especially important for springers to maintain compression and prevent damage.

I have loaded two felt cleaning pellets without a backup lead pellet in PCP type rifles and then recovered them in the yard to verify that there are dark stripes on them from removed gunk. I usually load a cleaning pellet and then a lead pellet behind it. I think it would be easier to shoot these into a bucket of water to recover and see how dirty the felt pellets are.

Again, for the spring piston guns, absolutely do not use a felt cleaning pellet without a backup lead pellet behind it to prevent damage.

When you said, "I always back them up with a pellet." Does that mean you put a pellet in the chamber, right behind the cleaning patch, and shoot them out as the same time?

Rather than putting the pellet in behind the felt pellet, (Which Can cause part of the felt to try to go around the pellet and cause a restriction which could bulge a thin barrel), Put the felt pellet behind the lead pellet. it will act much like a shotgun wadding and the force of the air charge will cause it to crush and spread in a very tight fit. Which will greatly increase it's cleaning effectiveness.