Huben Can you remove the regulator from the Huben Rifle ?

I would think that without regulator, each shot on a Huben system rifle (LCS, Rattler, Sidewinder) would be more powerful that the next one.
i was telling my buddy " if a guy could figure out a way to hook a cord to these battery powered drills and saws he'd be RICH ! no more having your drill quit ! no really ! you'll probably mess up the tuning , probably real bad ! you'll work to make it like most guns were back in the day !

I imagine any regulator can be removed or bypassed. Easier to bypass by operating outside of its range of adjustment or tossing in some regular washers in place of the belleville washers. I know if I screw my adjuster out too far I run unregulated. Basically if there is a will, there is a way.

-Matt

i was telling my buddy " if a guy could figure out a way to hook a cord to these battery powered drills and saws he'd be RICH ! no more having your drill quit ! no really ! you'll probably mess up the tuning , probably real bad ! you'll work to make it like most guns were back in the day !
Maybe ask Kelly to do it for me and set up the gun in the shop.

......Exactly, that's what I want a gun that acts like most guns back in the day ;)

Reactions: joelayfield
As @Stubbers described, bypassing the regulator is a fairly trivial task. I’m just not sure it’s such a good idea. It’s a hammerless system, meaning the sear operates the valve directly. I’m pretty sure that means it will not produce a useful bell curve. But if you intend to turn it into a hog-head-with-Kevlar penetrator, maybe that’s not so much of a concern. Akin to replacing the accelerator pedal with a switch that goes between idle and wide-open throttle.

As @Stubbers described, bypassing the regulator is a fairly trivial task. I’m just not sure it’s such a good idea. It’s a hammerless system, meaning the sear operates the valve directly. I’m pretty sure that means it will not produce a useful bell curve. But if you intend to turn it into a hog-head-with-Kevlar penetrator, maybe that’s not so much of a concern. Akin to replacing the accelerator pedal with a switch that goes between idle and wide-open throttle.
Actually, this hammerless system is remarkable in its ability to “self regulate”. I can shoot down to 30-40bar off the reg and not notice. You can anlso switch from a (say) 18g pellet to a 34 without changing the power wheel and speed only reduces by 20fps. Also, dry firing, the valve releases just a wisp of air, indicating that valve closure is heavily influenced by the pressure maintained in the barrel by the projectile. Finally, the GK1 pistol is unregulated and shoots strings from 320-170bar with an ES<10. I would expect that having a longer barrel would only enhance this property. The stock Huben regs are actually terrible creepers with swings of 30-40bar, yet the hammerless magic seems to keep things in check.

Actually, this hammerless system is remarkable in its ability to “self regulate”. I can shoot down to 30-40bar off the reg and not notice. You can anlso switch from a (say) 18g pellet to a 34 without changing the power wheel and speed only reduces by 20fps. Also, dry firing, the valve releases just a wisp of air, indicating that valve closure is heavily influenced by the pressure maintained in the barrel by the projectile. Finally, the GK1 pistol is unregulated and shoots strings from 320-170bar with an ES<10. I would expect that having a longer barrel would only enhance this property. The stock Huben regs are actually terrible creepers with swings of 30-40bar, yet the hammerless magic seems to keep things in check.
with a gun so well engineered maybe keep it for the great gun it is and buy a gun made to do this , a 25 cal mrod can be made to shoot hard , maybe something in that direction

The Huben blow open style valve makes incredible power, no real need to remove the regulator and it doesn't suffer greatly from reg creep based on its design. I certainly advise leaving it and not tinkering with it. The valve also was designed more so for the pressures in mind while regulated, not as much unregulated so you'd likely have to beef it up a hair (return spring).

-Matt

Just a comment that the hammerless valve in the Sidewinder does not behave this way - it vents a full shot air when dry fired, and switching pellets weights leads to big swings in speed. But I agree that the Huben performs exactly as described.

The one thing I'd add is that while the valve might smooth out the swings of a creeping regulator, the gun sure shoots more stably with the Huma regulator in it . . .

I also see no reason to bypass the regulator - worst case replace it with a Huma. Honestly, if you can afford even a used Huben, the cost of a Huma regulator after trouble eventually arises should be manageable.

Reactions: Emu
with a gun so well engineered maybe keep it for the great gun it is and buy a gun made to do this , a 25 cal mrod can be made to shoot hard , maybe something in that direction
Cannot even remember how many hard hitting .25s I had .....I just don't like regulators and since the Pistol is unregulated I wander if I could also have the rifle the same way.

Just a comment that the hammerless valve in the Sidewinder does not behave this way - it vents a full shot air when dry fired, and switching pellets weights leads to big swings in speed. But I agree that the Huben performs exactly as described.

The one thing I'd add is that while the valve might smooth out the swings of a creeping regulator, the gun sure shoots more stably with the Huma regulator in it . . .

I also see no reason to bypass the regulator - worst case replace it with a Huma. Honestly, if you can afford even a used Huben, the cost of a Huma regulator after trouble eventually arises should be manageable.
Agree 100% Alan. My 22 and 25 both have Huma regs. Especially beneficial at lower pressures. Plus, to be clear, I have no plans to run mine regless, nor do I want a Marauder as Joelayfield suggested. I’m not sure why answering a simple question for another forum member, leads to me being advised to buy another gun 😳