• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can you recommend some very high quality hex wrenchs?

Houli, just keep in mind, that those Home Depot ones are perfect for like say you were trying to remove a Allen bolt to access the innards of your gun for an o ring repair, and the first twist the wrench slips off. You notice the bolt socket has a slight bit of rounding at the corners. That’s where these wrenches will work. 

If on the other hand you kept trying to turn the bolt off with the same wrench that slipped off, or tried the method of using the next largest size in a torx bit and that fails, you’d have damaged the Allen socket sides too much for even the Home Depot set to work.

at that point, it’s time for an EZ out tool.

In light of the above two posts, wouldn't the use of these type allen wrenchs INITIALLY be a good thing? If they grip better on a head that has rounded some, wouldn't they still grip "better" on an unmolested head?

That would make sense, now wouldn’t it? So, hence, I tried using them from the get go, but those “teeth” on the ends of the allen tips on a new Allen bolt it had left some markings inside corners of the socket. Totally understandable, as it is meant to bite into the corners, but the visual thing with me didn’t like it. So, after that first try, I decided those will be used in an emergency. 

Understand that’s me, and my OCD. For others, maybe the marks would be okay with them. 

So, imagine you’re in a situation that you need to use these Home Depot tools, and you successfully remove the bolt. Don’t feel like going to your local Ace hardware, or the specialty bolt needs to be ordered? No biggie, cause you can reuse the bolt with the Home Depot tools, till you get the bolt replaced. In that same emergency, no way could you reuse it with the standard Allen and have it tightened to your liking.

There are certain bolts on certain guns that really need to be tightened and I make it a habit to lather the threads with copper anit-sieze. Perfect example are the 4 bolts that are used to clamp onto the saddles that hold the pressure tube on the wildcats. Those have to be tight- tight. Not finesse like, snug tight like we all do on these PCP’s. If that air tube even slips forward or back a few tenths of a millimeter, your gun is useless, as it won’t cock, and if it did, you lost like 200-300 off of your velocity.

The anti- sieze aids in the removal of these bolts, for any future service work

1597377169_15469102145f360a91e90321.22732603.jpeg
1597377170_575843765f360a921fb851.47621389.jpeg

I forgot I already had these pics from another Allen set post asked awhile back. I saved them because it seemed every couple of months someone would ask. But you can see a closeup of the “teeth” that would bite into the inside corners of an Allen head socket bolt.

I was debating myself between a power screwdriver or a digital torque wrench, and finally decided for this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01B3NW5TG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already had my own - higher quality bit kits (all possible shapes and sizes) but these pictured can work as well. btw I have couple other mechanical torque ratchet wrenches from small sizes all the way up to tire lug nuts, but I like tools....

I like this one, I can set it down lowest to 1.7 Nm and that is about a perfect fit even for 2-3mm socket head set screws. I am working with many screws, on my FX Impact, on my CF bikes, AI drones, if I have more screws inline that I am torquing all the same values gives you a beep when coming close to preset value.

I still eyeing a power tool but have a concern how accurate the torque clutch could be. I guess way less then just measure and memorize a number.

I was debating myself between a power screwdriver or a digital torque wrench, and finally decided for this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01B3NW5TG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already had my own - higher quality bit kits (all possible shapes and sizes) but these pictured can work as well. btw I have couple other mechanical torque ratchet wrenches from small sizes all the way up to tire lug nuts, but I like tools....

I like this one, I can set it down lowest to 1.7 Nm and that is about a perfect fit even for 2-3mm socket head set screws. I am working with many screws, on my FX Impact, on my CF bikes, AI drones, if I have more screws inline that I am torquing all the same values gives you a beep when coming close to preset value.

I still eyeing a power tool but have a concern how accurate the torque clutch could be. I guess way less then just measure and memorize a number.

Bighun- I actually don’t use the torque feature on the cordless tool. I typically “break snap” the tightness of an Allen bolt first with a T handled Allen wrench, then use the cordless to remove the fasteners. When re assembly of the gun comes, I make sure the torque on the cordless tool is at its lowest, so I can quickly thread the fasteners in with no fear of over torquing or stripping a head. Then I’ll either hand tighten or grab my Wheeler Fat Torque wrench

i do alot of modeling so have dealt with small metric stuff for years .. theres high quality stuff, you pay alittle more for a good set with good reviews and its worth it but .. personally i need some options when it comes to various situations, a good bondus ball end set in metric i need, a good t handle set is nice to have on top of it, and basic L's that come with everything you buy i keep in a box .. some fit particular fasteners better than anything and a 'good' one i keep aside and will dress the end with a dremel cutoff wheel .. pends on the sitiation .. also dealing with any of the common hex wrench styles you can run into certain fasteners that the tools are simply inadequate to transfer your effort efficiently with a good feel ... i find having a quality 1/4" drive hex bit set to use with a 1/4" ratchet and/or driver handle to be indispensible with some tough fasteners .. tekton has some good affordable sets ...

Reactions: Gr8Recreation