• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can you believe that one pellet did this? - Can Carnage

If any of you have watched any of the many videos that I post of my shooting range, you can always see a bunch of cans swinging around in the background of whatever I am shooting. I have a little under 100 cans ready to be shot at any given point in time, so I witness a whole lot of can carnage. I shot this one today on one of the can holders in the Can Rack for Field Target Practice post I put up a while ago. Well I shot this one, and it flew way the heck up. When I went out to see what happened, I found this:
20230503_192028.jpg

20230503_192034.jpg

I'm "blown away" by how much damage this one pellet did. It's like a "card splitting" challenge, but different.

Anyway, shoot safe, my brothers (and sisters)

Jonathan

BTW - This was shot using my heavily modded 2240 shooting 18.1gr FX at 875FPS, so about 31FPE delivered to this can.

Normally that happens when you fill the can with water........ If empty, the explanation have to be your "card splitting" suggestion I think.
Hitting the bottom edge (because the wind flip the can a bit towards you), and the pellet angles/ricochets from the harder edge and split the can`s side wall. Oh yes, one in a thousand I will say!

Normally that happens when you fill the can with water
Yea, I like splitting full, unopened cans like that. In fact, this was empty and mounted horizontally. The entry was at the bottom of the can.

Oh yes, one in a thousand I will say!
I was thinking about your ratio, and I believe that you are shockingly close to correct. I have been collecting cans for the last 9 or so months. I have 14 bags in the queue to be recycled, and I suspect that there are about 80 crushed cans in each of the bags, so that is about 1120 cans that weren't hit like this. Close, eh? In reality, there are a lot more since I have never seen carnage like this, but still, your estimate was spot-on! (y)

Fun stuff! Thanks for the input @Gunnertrones !

Cheers!

Jonathan

Reactions: Gunnertrones
The dent at the bottom is so symmetrical. Looks like the pellet hit it straight on, BURROWED down from the edge, and tore up the can like a shark fin under the water!

Cans are fun. I once shot an already-dented soda can with a slingshot so that the thing flew high up above and did a full somersault before crashing down. Never did it again, though. There are videos of guys shooting prairie dogs with the same effect.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
The dent at the bottom is so symmetrical. Looks like the pellet hit it straight on, BURROWED down from the edge, and tore up the can like a shark fin under the water!
I believe that you are absolutely correct. I'd also mention that it looks like the pellet probably started spinning end-over end for the last part since the damage got so broad. It tore a few "strips" out of the end of the can and I am thinking only the side of the pellet would do that much damage. I agree with @Gunnertrones that this was a very rare occurrence statistically speaking. I think what made this shot so rare is that it stayed true to the plane of the can and didn't veer off.

Anyway, fun shot! Happy shooting, my friends.

Reactions: Gunnertrones