• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can the Hill EC-3000 be used to fill larger tanks?

I had a Hill EC-3000 and I would say that while it could be used to fill tanks, that didn't seem to be its forte to me.

I found it to be a nicely portable unit which was easy to take to the range and fill rifles directly. IIRC I did use it to top off my little 100 cu in tank to 300 bar.

All of this is in the past tense as my unit stopped pressurizing over ~100 bar after less than an hour of use. It went back for a refund.

Almost any compressor can be used to fill tanks, if treated right. I don't let my compressors get above ~65 C before I bleed the pressure line and allow them to cool. If filling a tank this may require more than a few runs. Note after cooling to always let the compressor start off with zero back pressure (no air in the pressure line), and only open the tank's valve when the compressor has brought the line pressure back to very near where the tank pressure is.

Thanks Odoyle, I watched the video, but I don't see where it says you can't fill larger tanks? Reason I ask is I've been seeing some mixed information about whether it can or cannot? As a matter of fact, if you read the Q&A part on PA, some say yes and some say no....

Ok not sure if we are watching the same video here. But the video posted surely says it is designed to fill only guns and no fill bottles at 2:00-2:15. 

I had a Hill EC-3000 and I would say that while it could be used to fill tanks, that didn't seem to be its forte to me.

I found it to be a nicely portable unit which was easy to take to the range and fill rifles directly. IIRC I did use it to top off my little 100 cu in tank to 300 bar.

All of this is in the past tense as my unit stopped pressurizing over ~100 bar after less than an hour of use. It went back for a refund.

Almost any compressor can be used to fill tanks, if treated right. I don't let my compressors get above ~65 C before I bleed the pressure line and allow them to cool. If filling a tank this may require more than a few runs. Note after cooling to always let the compressor start off with zero back pressure (no air in the pressure line), and only open the tank's valve when the compressor has brought the line pressure back to very near where the tank pressure is.

Surprised you didn't opt for a replacement. What did you end up buying to use right now? Hope it came with a 4 year protection plan. Paperweights getting rather expensive now days.

Surprised you didn't opt for a replacement. What did you end up buying to use right now? Hope it came with a 4 year protection plan. Paperweights getting rather expensive now days.

I continued to use my existing Benjamin ReCharge. About the same price point as the Hill (I paid a little under $1,300), but it now has just shy of 28 hours on it and I have only done 2 oil changes and 1 internal filter change. I use it to fill guns directly, along with my 100 cu in and 6.8 liter bottles.

Like I said above I only fill until it reaches ~65C and then de-pressurize it and let it cool down. IIRC it has an automatic shut-down at ~95C, or after 40 minutes of continuous operation. So I definitely baby mine. But I'm not in any big hurry, so why not?

I liked the Hill unit, and hope that I just got really unlucky with that one unit. But I decided to let them be on the market for a bit longer before I would try another one.

I continued to use my existing Benjamin ReCharge. About the same price point as the Hill (I paid a little under $1,300), but it now has just shy of 28 hours on it and I have only done 2 oil changes and 1 internal filter change. I use it to fill guns directly, along with my 100 cu in and 6.8 liter bottles.

Like I said above I only fill until it reaches ~65C and then de-pressurize it and let it cool down. IIRC it has an automatic shut-down at ~95C, or after 40 minutes of continuous operation. So I definitely baby mine. But I'm not in any big hurry, so why not?

I liked the Hill unit, and hope that I just got really unlucky with that one unit. But I decided to let them be on the market for a bit longer before I would try another one.

The Benjamin was $1099 at DVOR recently.

Screenshot_2020-11-30-17-34-232.1609591362.png

Simple answer: No. It's designed to direct fill air rifles, not tanks. It's only rated to fill to 300 bar or 4350 psi. If you must fill a tank, make sure the tank is 3 liters or less capacity. Even when filling a 3 liter tank from empty, fill it in 3 stages with 30 minute shut downs in between to allow the Hill to cool down properly..

If you want to fill tanks, get the right compressor for the job. This compressor is made for gun refills.

You wouldn't buy a compact car to pull your boat and trailer. Don't buy a compressor made to fill guns to fill tanks.

What is the difference is between a compressor designed to direct fill airguns and one designed to fill tanks? Is it just the lack of cooling or is is also the reliability of the components? If it is just cooling then the automatic system shutdown should address that issue. So it must also be reliability of the components. If that is the case then I think the price is not justified. So I will probably stick with simple $250 compressors with available spare parts until someone manufactures a 10 year 99.5% reliable compressor for <$1000.

What is the difference is between a compressor designed to direct fill airguns and one designed to fill tanks? Is it just the lack of cooling or is is also the reliability of the components? If it is just cooling then the automatic system shutdown should address that issue. So it must also be reliability of the components. If that is the case then I think the price is not justified. So I will probably stick with simple $250 compressors with available spare parts until someone manufactures a 10 year 99.5% reliable compressor for <$1000.

That's certainly your prerogative. Twenty years ago FX came out with the first direct to gun compressor that weighed 50 pounds. It could only direct fill PCP's to 3000 psi and cost $1,000. It was merely a hand pump with a flywheel and fan belt connected to a motor with water cooling. Times have changed and we have lots more choices at better prices.

Hell will freeze over before you see a 99.5% reliable compressor to fill tanks for less than $1,000. That type of compressor is available today but they cost $3,000-4,400. If you want that kind of reliability you need to look at Bauer or Alkin.

Simple answer: No. It's designed to direct fill air rifles, not tanks. It's only rated to fill to 300 bar or 4350 psi. If you must fill a tank, make sure the tank is 3 liters or less capacity. Even when filling a 3 liter tank from empty, fill it in 3 stages with 30 minute shut downs in between to allow the Hill to cool down properly..

If you want to fill tanks, get the right compressor for the job. This compressor is made for gun refills.

You wouldn't buy a compact car to pull your boat and trailer. Don't buy a compressor made to fill guns to fill tanks.

Thanks Humdinger. I've read alot of your posts on compressors and they've all really helped me alot. Looks like it's either Yong Heng or Alkin as most logical choices. 

Thanks Humdinger. I've read alot of your posts on compressors and they've all really helped me alot. Looks like it's either Yong Heng or Alkin as most logical choices.

Just be careful with the Yong Heng : had two of them and both broke after a few hours. Warranty may work or not (got mine through E Bay), BUT since they are water cooled, once their seals fly apart, they are busily pumping water through your hose too, and even the best output moisture filter unit can’t handle such an amount of humidity which contaminates and ruins your tank/bottle ! Good luck to try to dry it out then....