• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can the .177 FX Impact x MKII shoot the NSA .177 slug without the slug liner?

Hey,

I've just purchased the FX impact X MKII (.177)

Can it shoot the NSA slug right out of the box or do i need a slug liner?

Kevon:

The main difference between a pellet liner and a slug liner relies in the choke...The twist ratio differences if any, are irrelevant.

For a slug that has a solid base you want a liner that has no or minimum choke, for a pellet with a hollow base you want some choke for best precision...You may stick to the original pellet liner if you use HOLLOW or CONCAVE base slugs as used in standard diabolo shaped pellets. You can shoot solid base slugs with a pellet liner but the precision may or may not be there and if you shoot pellets with a slug liner it will have the same effect as shooting a pellet out of a barrel with no choke, sometimes they shoot very well and sometimes they work better as a paper weight.

The advantage of concave and hollow base slugs over solid base ones is that given the less mass (weight) comparable to a same dimensions in the solid base slug, you will get a projectile with better aerodynamics (BC) because it will be longer (same shape, same sectional density but longer)...If you get a 13 gr solid base slug and a 13 gr, hollow or concave base slug in .177, the later ones will have better BC's....

FX is making and marketing the "Hybrids" in .22 and those are very precise and excellent slugs in my opinion, I will assume that they are either manufacturing or planning to market the same type of slugs in .177 and possible in .30. Do a little research for this and similar options, I don't follow this trend and don't have enough information. I know some people who are testing hollow base and hollow body with a smaller hole at the tip (Hollow base and body hollow tip) and the same configuration with a solid base. Those hollow body hollow point slugs have much potential for small game (very explosive) and if they make it to the market those will have very high BC's...

Regards,

AZ

FX does not make a .177 slug barrel.

True, and I don't believe they manufacture .177 hybrids either so they could be shot with the pellet barrel, and if they did those would be killer slugs; but then you can machine a barrel with no choke and viola!, there is your slug barrel...Nevertheless, I believe it is worth trying whatever is available (slugs) with the pellet barrel, you never know, maybe your gun will shoot one or more of them. My Impact .22 happens to shoot slugs (Hybrids and solid base) more precise with the pellet barrel than with the slug barrel...The the only drawback is that solid base slugs are shot at slightly lower speeds given the same pressure, this demonstrates one of the effects of a choke on a solid base projectile.

AZ: Thanks for that snippet on BASE configuration and effect on BC / Projectile length to SD

You are most welcome motorhead, let me know if there is anything else I could assist you with, and if you don't hear back from me please send me a PM as I don't follow many of the threads where I post a reply.

Regards,

AZ

The 18g (now discontinued) shoots remarkably well in my .177 FX at 30FPE plus in my Redwolf and WOLVERINE HP, also 30FPE.

I am waiting for the 12.5 &15g NIELSEN to arrive as we speak, but also I am testing some new slugs from H&N in .177 so watch this space.

I should also mention I have a prototype .177 600mm FX LINER which will be released Jan/Feb 2021 hopefully in conjunction with the MKII CROWN!

IMG_4436.1608107565.jpg

Well it wasn't so much an increase but the fact that I really struggled to get over 900FPS with the 500mm liner even with the reg at 150 bar and HS maxx'd out and that was after fitting the HUMA air dual TP and a custom probe to match the opening on the TP.

With the 600mm liner I can achieve over 900FPS with the reg less than 130 and HS overall 23mm, the balance is really nice to shoot, the shot count is over 80 at this setting as well which I am really happy with!