Can oxidized pellets be rescued ?

Thank you folks, some good information here.

It looks like I should be able to save some money. There was no way I was going to put them through a gun, looking like they do.

This was a sealed tin, probably the worst looking. 

MVC-023F.1604476880.JPG

Oxidation residue can be extremely hard. If that is what it is, just be sure your cleaning method is successful. I have had old .22 rimfire ammo that looked very similar, but it is usually dried lubricant, not oxidation. And I believe that is a common misdiagnosis with lubed lead bullets. But, I'm not aware of any pellets that are treated with any type of lubricant. I'm sure that many folks would just shoot them as-is. That might be okay, but if it's as hard as some oxidation I have seen and felt, I would be hesitant to shoot them, and definitely not without cleaning. 

Yea, this tin is the worst. They're really crusty......

The others are generally just lightly white powdered.

That's a good video by Tom !

I guess I've been out-of-the-game longer that I thought. I remember paying a few bucks for a tin of RWS ammo. Now it's more like 20 bucks. 

I see many sellers say 'vintage' sealed tin. I'm not going to buy what I posted the photo of. Is RWS still producing, or is all of their stuff now vintage ?

Try 50-50 vinegar water and if thats not strong enough then 100% Coca-Cola.

Nah, just use 100% Coca Cola — your pellets look really toast.

Odoyle,

as usual with scopes, you are right. I can attest to this. Through personal experience with Coca Cola.

Compared to other material softening liquids, Coca Cola is rather economical.

So I use it daily, applying a libertate dosis.

And it works! I never have constipation!! 👍🏼 

Matthias

Yea, this tin is the worst. They're really crusty......

The others are generally just lightly white powdered.

That's a good video by Tom !

I guess I've been out-of-the-game longer that I thought. I remember paying a few bucks for a tin of RWS ammo. Now it's more like 20 bucks. 

I see many sellers say 'vintage' sealed tin. I'm not going to buy what I posted the photo of. Is RWS still producing, or is all of their stuff now vintage ?

Yes they are still producing quality German made pellets for around $8.99 for the Meisterkugelns if you shop smart. You may be able to get by with the cheaper RWS Basic Diabolos and Hobby pellets for around $5.00-$7.00 depends where you buy from. The other German cheap alternative is the H&N Excite line. Shop smart don't pay more than you need to. Unless you just simply too rich then it won't matter paying double or triple or 4x or more for the same item then add double that for shipping...

Don't buy from EBay or Amazon nowdays unless you want to pay double to triple or even more and get ripped off on shipping.

Try 50-50 vinegar water and if thats not strong enough then 100% Coca-Cola.

Nah, just use 100% Coca Cola — your pellets look really toast.

Odoyle,

as usual with scopes, you are right. I can attest to this. Through personal experience with Coca Cola.

Compared to other material softening liquids, Coca Cola is rather economical.

So I use it daily, applying a libertate dosis.

And it works! I never have constipation!!
1f44d-1f3fc.svg

Matthias

So how clean do the pellets come out washed down with Coca Cola after your #2?

You can balance it with lots of hard chocolate and potato chips and green bananas and a rather interesting experiment at that...

Many uses for Coca Cola for cleaning too and neutralizing battery acid and rust and oxidation removal. Just don't get it on your blueing or fresh bare metal unless you want patina.

In the interest of full disclosure, I looked at these pellets under 10x magnification and they are VERY 'pocky'. Especially the skirts where the heaviest deposits were. 

I tried to take a picture. I don't think I would put these through my gun. The rough skirt is certain to cause deposits. I cleaned some that were just lightly 'powdered, they look really good. This one tin was just too far gone.

MVC-021F.1604508718.JPG