• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can anyone recommend a good vernier caliper...

Ruler That isnt going to break the bank but will also last? Uses will be measuring shooting groups and odds/ends.....thanks guys

I think an entry-level digital would suit your needs just fine plus it won't take a ton of loot outa your wallet.

You can find them just about anywhere. Big box stores, Harbor Freight etc.

Handy feature of a digital vs dial is you can easily switch back and forth between metric and inch without having to do conversions.

Personally I'm a die hard dial user. Much better feel and control IMO. I own 7 dial calipers from 6" to 18"

This one is my favorite... Swiss-made Etalon magic. Hope this helps :)

Matt

Till you pick them up to use them and find the battery is dead (unless you have the solar like I do now). Personally I think the dial is "easier" to use, but I usually grab my digital as they are sitting in front

I have several other devices that use the same battery so I keep them on hand. A high quality battery lasts more than a year of daily use and can be changed in 10 seconds.

It was just a matter of time . . . Here ya go: 🤣 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDype-j3hk 

And.. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvszAb0Y0Ec 

🙂👍 

Sam -

PS: I've had to use calipers for the good part of 20+ years now.. 
Dial calipers were nice, but, IMO don't hold a candle to digital. 
Especially in My case - being far sighted, and not wearing glasses.. 
A quick glance beats squinting / concentrating longer every time.

Now, as mentioned before a few times..

Anyone who needs a basic set of calipers really doesn't have to go crazy, 
or look any farther than a Harbor Freight store.. Those will do just fine.. 
I've used a few pair over the years in my fab shops, and never an issue.. 
I even had a friend send me a set from NewZeland years ago 
that were no doubt 'Chinesium' in construction and of HF quality, and... 
I still use those things - if/when I can find them.

When I closed my shops, I sold off all of my expensive gear 
calipers included. When I needed another setup - Yup - Harbor Freight, 
and the newest set also works perfectly.

If 'absolute precision' is needed for machining/tooling/etc. 
I'd recommend going with a higher quality set..
The boards, electronics / components, construction is better, 
and the slides will no doubt track much smoother.

Anyway . . . Carry on. 👍

I am an owner of the 24", 12", 8" and two 6" Mitutoyo digital calipers. I have been owner of several other digital calipers including Brown & Sharpe, Mauser, Starrett and several Swiss and Chinese brands. I use them every day and have for over 30 years. There is no question that Mitutoyo is the very best. Not by a little bit, but by a lot. They are consistent. A silver battery will last me 2 yrs. or more. I highly recommend the IP67 coolant proof model over the lesser cost non-coolant proof models. The 6" model 500-752-20 is the way to go. These are about $30 more than the non-IP67 model, but well worth it in robustness.

I've got a Chinese vernier caliper that I've used for over 25 years. I've also got a Harbor Freight digital along with a starrett 6" dial caliper that I've had for around 30 years. The 2 I use the most are the starrett and the Vernier. The HF digitals won't hold zero unless you move them just the right way. I was trying t measure a .22 pellet that I pushed thru the barrel of my Aspen. The darn thing would just keep jumping all around unless I just pushed on the body of the sliding part. I did composite machining for around 35 years off and on and always used the roller at the bottom of the sliding part. Not on the HF calipers! I like the verniers when ever I'm machining metal as you don't have to worry about chips getting in between the rack and pinon gears and throwing the zero off. 

I have a brown and sharp mentioned above. It's probably about 12 years old; Swiss made. It's a quality piece. Don't know if they are still made in Switzerland though. Also have a couple of Mitutoyo micrometers that were made in Japan. Also top shelf. Not sure where they're made now.

1556446283_1694889765cc57c4ba82bf3.59389723_IMG_2151.JPG