Can a walnut stocked Red Wolf hunt?

I’ve been wanting a rifle-bull pup in .177 to hunt with for a change of pace. I’ve got the .22 covered already but I was wanting a .177 that can shoot the 16gr JSB over 900fps accurately. Looks like the Red Wolf might be a candidate looking over the teaser on the new vlog. I question I have is can the Red Wolf hold up to hunting conditions? By that I mean can the barrel be leaned up against a tree while I’m glassing tree tops, can the stock/bottle be pinned up against a tree while taking a shot, can the barrel take a few minor bumps while out in the woods, all the while not changing the point of impact? I’ve seen all kinds of post about the Red Wolf but I don’t recall one where someone is using it a squirrel rifle, not ground squirrels and not shooting them off a bird feeder. I asking about the walnut stocked version as I’ve not heard of any of them breaking at the wrist like some of the laminate ones have. Some shots can take a great deal of gun/body manipulations and different holds on the rifle and didn’t want to make an expensive mistake.

I've got the edgun in .177. Just got the 12.5gr slugs and they do shoot, though I've not been to the range for a proper test yet.

The edgun is awesome. It's 4500psi so when you fill it, it'll easily do 10 mags before needing air - plenty.

Only thing I don't like about the Edgun is that the mag will fire empty. If you don't count to 10, you're going to empty fire it. In this modern day of airguns none of the competitors will do this and all block out an empty chamber. I consider this a flaw in Ed's great design. Hopefully for the next generation of guns he will fix this.

It's built like a tank and looks good too. Shoulders just fine as well. Nice gun. I like it a lot, not as much as my .30 Impact, but still, nice gun.

IMG_20200426_103139.1600105118.jpg

Why would you think the Red Wolf can't take the rigors of hunting? I understand that most of us (me included) aren't going to take a $2,400+ airgun into a rough and tumble environment. But you are talking about one of the "flagship" models of one of the highest quality and best known airgun companies in the world. No way is the Red Wolf so fragile that it can only be used in the pristine environment of a bench rest. I imagine it can take quite a bit of abuse. Its just that there are probably less expensive and less good looking options for that. Personally, I've pretty much designated my FX Wildcat as the "hunting" gun due to its light weight, short length, fast handling, synthetic stock, accuracy and power. I don't hunt with the Red Wolf solely because I want to protect the finish and stalking through the woods with the long barrel of the high power with a moderator on would be awkward.

As has already been said - if you want to stick with a Daystate, consider a Pulsar. Much less expensive than a Wolf, same electronics (essentially), shorter bullpup design.

I've got the edgun in .177. Just got the 12.5gr slugs and they do shoot, though I've not been to the range for a proper test yet.

The edgun is awesome. It's 4500psi so when you fill it, it'll easily do 10 mags before needing air - plenty.

Only thing I don't like about the Edgun is that the mag will fire empty. If you don't count to 10, you're going to empty fire it. In this modern day of airguns none of the competitors will do this and all block out an empty chamber. I consider this a flaw in Ed's great design. Hopefully for the next generation of guns he will fix this.

It's built like a tank and looks good too. Shoulders just fine as well. Nice gun. I like it a lot, not as much as my .30 Impact, but still, nice gun.

IMG_20200426_103139.1600105118.jpg

I have a blue laminated ( not made any more) stock for an edgun R5m long, just can’t find one in stock and have heard they are going to quit making them now. That red looks good to ! 

The reason I’ve not considered the Pulsar was when I checked Daystate’s website the HP wasn’t offered in .177. I don’t know if the regular one can get the 16gr. pellets as fast as the HP model. I’m presently using a Taipan long and it’s a great hunting bull pup, no complaints what so ever. There’s not a whole lot of options out there for shooting the .177 beast and I fell for the new vlog posting and wanted opinions on use for hunting.

+ 1 what Ron said.

The barrel is 15 mm that's lightened in the center but it would take a big hit to bend it. The CF shroud will help but it's not tensioned, so doesn't lend a lot to the strength aspect. The breeches are stout with a lot of barrel support , so smacking the scope would be your biggest worry. Also, the electronics are sealed and not temp sensitive and the only part that makes sliding contact is the valve stem. NOT temp sensitive in my experience. I've carried mine hunting a little and the form factor wouldn't be my first choice , but it worked well. You can lean on the bottle , stock, or anything but the barrel when shooting . Makes no difference other than as noted in the benchrest threads, many of us feel it's more consistent when gripped solidly than allowing it to free recoil..... at least from bipods.

The 177 certainly is a pleasant rifle to shoot and typically VERY accurate. 

Bob

Thanks for the response Arzrover and Ron, I’ve put both the Taipan and a Air Arms 410 side lever through their paces out in the woods and have managed not to trash them too bad, just some pressure spots on the stock. The 410 has a barrel band that works pretty good for keeping the bumps in check and the Red Wolf doesn’t, that’s part of the reason why I’m asking this. Thanks again.

A barrel band will not necessarily keep anything in check. In fact, some of them might be more likely to prevent the barrel from returning to proper alignment after a ding. The barrel support on my Veteran is part of a monstrosity of a frame, plus, the barrel is screwed into the action. It ain't moving. I have a walnut Red Wolf, love the rifle, but it would not be my choice for hunting. If you treat it with reasonable care, I don't think you should have any problems. The stock design and bottle arrangement don't suit me for hunting, taking a rest against the side of a tree, for instance. But, this is simply a matter of personal technique and preference. Cylinder guns suit me better in the field. One practical issue to remember, the timing out of the electronics if a shot isn't taken within its limit. I've used my RW on some squirrels in the yard, and twice I've had the thing go to sleep on me when I was trying to get the shot off. It's something you could get used to, probably as simple as just slipping the safety off and on every few minutes while waiting for the squirrel to show himself. 

The reason I’ve not considered the Pulsar was when I checked Daystate’s website the HP wasn’t offered in .177. I don’t know if the regular one can get the 16gr. pellets as fast as the HP model. I’m presently using a Taipan long and it’s a great hunting bull pup, no complaints what so ever. There’s not a whole lot of options out there for shooting the .177 beast and I fell for the new vlog posting and wanted opinions on use for hunting.

Check AOA. They sell the Pulsar 177HP. I owned one, but preferred the Red Wolf set up for my uses. I was shooting the 16gr JSB at 937FPS. You can check out the post I did a while back after I picked it up. The Helliboard could probably take that up some.

RedWolf is extremely fragile.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/my-new-daystate-red-wolf-rosso-series-119-of-200-check-this-out/

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/broken-redwolf-stock.266659/

It is designed to hang on a wall and look pretty.

I do not want to mention that an accidental bump of you barrel throws your POI off.

This is absolutely inaccurate. To say a rifle is fragile because some nitwit dropped it, or packed a ton of brake rotors on it, is not a fair opinion. I have observed during my 70 years on the planet, you really can't beat stupid! And, stupidity has a very high limit. 

PCP air rifles are, by nature, instruments that require a certain level of caution in their use and maintenance. If you need an air rifle to toss around like your old 511 Remington .22, look elsewhere. Once the user understands the technology, and its proper use, most PCP rifles, including the Red Wolf, are reliable. I've owned a couple that I would not recommend for field use, but most are very adequate, with proper treatment.

You are funny.

https://youtu.be/O8PHsc_SKlg

This is like claiming that because somebody builds an armored car you can smash through walls with, all other cars are relatively fragile and therefore inferior and should be avoided.

Of course you've gone a step further into troll territory by implying that the red wolf will break or lose zero by a mere tap...

Worthless, inaccurate and misleading posts. Congratulations