• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can a springer hang with a pcp?

Yup, I’d say out to 50 yards some springers can hang with PCP. And closer in they definitely can be incredibly accurate. Check out these groups from a FWB300 mini, no 50 yards, but I was really happy! Great job on the video and excellent shooting too! Thanks for sharing.
36023C57-EA36-44E7-8766-D61EDFE1945B.1649034779.jpeg

You can never convince a dediacated springer shooter of the superiority of a PCP.

The field target competitions have separate divisions fpr springers and PCPs, for the same reason that boxing has different divisions for lightweights (AKA springers) and heavyweights (AKA PCPs).

At 22 yards my Crosman 1377/1322 carbine (with shoulder stock) is just as accurate for a tenth of the price.

Been there done that already.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/video-can-springers-hang-with-pcps/?referrer=1

EDIT;

My springers can hang with the PCPs on the walls in the gun racks.

Although I have some good shooting springers, and can shoot them pretty well, they are no match for my Impacts. My .25 impact will shoot mostly .5 inch groups at 100 yards, on a good day. whereas I have a hard time shooting the same size groups at 50 yards with my springers.

There are a few very talented souls with excellent springers that can and do hang with the PCPs and win matches with them but not at extended ranges. 

We have been running a thread with the same title and same video here for three days: https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/video-can-springers-hang-with-pcps/#post-1223879

And of course spring rifles can hang with PCP rifles on many levels.

The hunter who takes a Springer to the field after small game is in no way handicapped. He can compete one for one with the PCP hunter on any given day. Sure the PCP has more range... And a heavier logistics chain. Sure you can't hunt buffalo with a spring rifle but you aren't taking that .50 PCP into the barn after pests. Each tool has a place and can compete in in that space on its merits.

Yes, they can! There are some PCP's that obviously can shoot much better (Daystate Redwolf, Thomas, Steyr LG110), but then you are also paying north of $2500 for that accuracy, and that price doesn't include the scope, so figure north of $3000 easily. That being said, PCP's are easier to shoot and will forgive a LOT of mistakes.

But if you want to really learn the gun, don't discount a good Piston gun. They force you to do everything right, all the way from hold, through the aim, and finishing up after the follow through. when you can learn to shoot a springer well, it will make you a much better overall shooter, regardless of powerplant.

I have two TX200's. Love 'em both. One has a 12 fpe venom kit in it. The other has a Tony Leach 22mm piston and is under 12 fpe. Both are smooth as silk to shoot and have excellent triggers. With the scope, you can put one together for right around $1000. Of course, I have a custom stock on each in order to accomodate my length of pull and to get the comb up to position my eye directly behind the center of the scope, so that upped the price a bit. But I also don't need any other associated gear that is associated with the PCP. AND, I haven't run out of air during a match yet with my springers!

I don't shoot off of sandbags or a rest. I shoot in AAFTA open piston class and when practicing, or setting up my guns/scopes, I use the sitting position with harness for all my shooting. My last practice outing, I shot a 10-shot, 25 yard group of 9/16". At 50 yards, that opened to exactly 1" for 10 shots. I had a little wind, but I was happy with those groups, which, in my opinion, is realistic.

What I like about them the most, is that they are so damn much fun to shoot! Each gun has its' own personality, and when shooting a match, and working the wind, it can be extremely satisfying when everything falls into place. That fun factor is something that you cannot put a price on. Conversely, shooting a PCP and getting near perfect scores all the time, can end up being boring as hell. Don't get me wrong, I have a number of PCP's, and shoot them well, but I really enjoy shooting my piston guns so much more.

I equate shooting a piston gun to driving a vehlcle with a stick shift. A PCP gun is like driving an automatic. Those who can drive stick don't lose anything to those who drive an automatic. It also makes you more aware of what you are doing.

There are a lot of guys and gals out there that shoot piston and know exactly what I am talking about. Those who discount a piston gun don't know what they are missing.

Maybe in the hands of exceptional shooters if they get all the ducks in a row on a given day and at short distances for a limited amount of shots,...maybe :)

In today's world you put a 300-400 bucks PCP in the hands of the majority of average shooters and they will outshoot 700-900 bucks Springers all day long.

Most average shooters can't outperform a $700 Springer on their best day.

And it does not matter what they have in their hands.

It doesn't matter what you're shooting if you haven't found the right ammo for it and gone through the process of getting it to perform to its best it's not going to out compete the alternative.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread each platform has its pluses and it's minuses. So far in my some 60 years of air gun shooting I have not seen any air rifle in any platform that could induce me to drop $1,500 on the rifle and $800 on on a cheap compressor to keep it charged. They just don't make rifles like that in my mind. At that price point I can buy three excellent piston rifles which will bring home as much small game as that money spent on one PCP.

I absolutely love my Diana Storm Rider. And having spent quite a bit of time tuning it and getting it to shoot it is a fine squirrel rifle and will hold its own with any piston rifle I have including my 430s and my hw98. 

Each tool has its purpose and it's advantages and disadvantages.

Maybe in the hands of exceptional shooters if they get all the ducks in a row on a given day and at short distances for a limited amount of shots,...maybe :)

In today's world you put a 300-400 bucks PCP in the hands of the majority of average shooters and they will outshoot 700-900 bucks Springers all day long.

It doesn't matter what you're shooting if you haven't found the right ammo for it and gone through the process of getting it to perform to its best it's not going to out compete the alternative.

As I have said elsewhere in this thread each platform has its pluses and it's minuses. So far in my some 50 years of air gun shooting I have not seen any air rifle in any platform that could induce me to drop $1,500 on the rifle and $800 on on a cheap compressor to keep it charged. They just don't make rifles like that in my mind. At that price point I can buy three excellent piston rifles which will bring home as much small game as that money spent on one PCP.

Dreaming :) LOL

also you don't have to drop 1500 and 800,.,....a 300 bucks PCP and a 50 bucks pump will outshoot, outcarry, outsilence. outdistance any 700-900 bucks springer out there

As I have said elsewhere in this thread each platform has its pluses and it's minuses. So far in my some 50 years of air gun shooting I have not seen any air rifle in any platform that could induce me to drop $1,500 on the rifle and $800 on on a cheap compressor to keep it charged. They just don't make rifles like that in my mind. At that price point I can buy three excellent piston rifles which will bring home as much small game as that money spent on one PCP.

Dreaming :) LOL

also you don't have to drop 1500 and 800,.,....a 300 bucks PCP and a 50 bucks pump will outshoot, outcarry, outsilence. outdistance any 700-900 bucks springer out there

Not dreaming, just been doing this long enough to have my own opinion about the tradeoffs. Do feel free to do likewise, just don't tell me what to think and we will get along famously.

Here is the proof for your side of the argument.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/stormrider-experiences/

Here is the proof for mine.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/new-personal-best-d430l/

Yet, I still prefer to take my D430L or one of my other piston rifles to the field MORE OFTEN than the fine little Dianna Stormrider. That doesn't make me a dreamer because I never fail to bring home the meat. You know your rifle MIGHT be able to hit a silver dollar at 75 yards in the woods without a bench (on YOUR BEST DAY). That doesn't mean YOU can and if you can't it doesn't matter what you take to the field.

I will take a spring rifle to the field hunting with ANY PCP of similar caliber shooting pellets and bring home squirrels ONE for ONE against ANY hunter I've ever met. Either rifle will do the job.

It is a tool, just a tool.