• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Can a rimfire suppressor be used effectively on an air rifle

Just curious if the above would be effective. I have a Sparrow suppressor and yes it is legal. Wondering if I could use it on a air rifle. Since legally suppressors are registered and not gun specific I was wondering if it would be effective at suppressing an air rifle's noise. I know the suppressor is a 1/2x28 thread and most air rifles are 1/2x 20 but there are adapters.

Just wondering if anyone here still dabbles in firearms still and might know. I have tried to search but have found little on the subject.

Just curious if the above would be effective. I have a Sparrow suppressor and yes it is legal. Wondering if I could use it on a air rifle. Since legally suppressors are registered and not gun specific I was wondering if it would be effective at suppressing an air rifle's noise. I know the suppressor is a 1/2x28 thread and most air rifles are 1/2x 20 but there are adapters.

Just wondering if anyone here still dabbles in firearms still and might know. I have tried to search but have found little on the subject.

I am a powder burner myself. Yes it will work, but they function a little differently and you will get a lesser amount of reduction. Here is why. A good suppressor functions to take the heat from the initial explosion and diminish it outwards inside the suppressor, usually by way of first a metal mesh that retains the heat and then the Hot air goes into the baffles. 

An airgun suppressor, however, functions not by removing heat but by dampening the fast air right behind the pellet. It does this by sometimes using acoustic materials like sheets and foam, but primarily by chambering the air. This is why you can have unconventional shapes and size moderators and still have them be very quiet, as the best moderators usually have larger chambers Sound reducing chambers (Sometimes in opposing direction of the projectile).

hope that helps.

Lieutenant, Thanks for that explanation. I knew that powder burners developed much more heat however not knowing airguns well I did not know the difference in the construction between the two suppressors.

Now it is understandable why they are shaped differently. Was headed to see Charlie of Georgia Airguns on Monday and will perhaps try it on one of his Zboria's to see the difference between that and a Sumo if we can find an adapter.. If the airgun suppressor is much quieter than will just buy it and leave the Sparrow for my .22 CZ. Compared to decent powder burner suppressors airgun suppressors are not that expensive. Again, thanks for taking the time to explain the differences.

I am a powder burner myself. Yes it will work, but they function a little differently and you will get a lesser amount of reduction. Here is why. A good suppressor functions to take the heat from the initial explosion and diminish it outwards inside the suppressor, usually by way of first a metal mesh that retains the heat and then the Hot air goes into the baffles. 

An airgun suppressor, however, functions not by removing heat but by dampening the fast air right behind the pellet. It does this by sometimes using acoustic materials like sheets and foam, but primarily by chambering the air. This is why you can have unconventional shapes and size moderators and still have them be very quiet, as the best moderators usually have larger chambers Sound reducing chambers (Sometimes in opposing direction of the projectile).

hope that helps.

Yes, you can theoretically fit a rimfire suppressor onto an airgun. Nothing can really stop you if the threads fit anyways. As for reducing the sound report, yes you might be able to squeeze off a few decibels here and there, but the way sound report works is that (I am no scientist), there are different frequencies which the human ear can pick up better than others, even if it's a lower frequency with a lower decibel rating, there are certain sounds that make it distinguishable to the human ear to pick up. Usually any blasts or shots are detected by humans as this is a sudden and drastic volume change to the surrounding environment. Now as this person has stated above, there are differences in an airgun suppressor and rimfire, and really without directly hearing what the sound is like whether directly at or near the muzzle, we can't say for sure how detectable the sound might be. With that said however, the change in airflow generated from an airgun suppressor will most certainly mitigate any detectable "blast" or report that sounds conspicuous like a gun shot; rather you'd hear more hammer spring and poof sound, and maybe pellet impact depending on your range. The same cannot be said of a rimfire suppressor because that was not it's intended purpose for "air" gun. Hope this helps too! 

Dale, That is good news. It would be nice not to have to get another. It would also seem that given the slower airgun pellet velocity and lack of powder that the rimfire suppressor would not need cleaning or at least not as much as it might with a powder firearm. On my CZ .22 452 it is extremely quiet especially when sub sonic ammo is used like CCI quiets or Remington CBEE. With either of those it is more quiet than my Benjamin 392 with say 5 or 6 pumps. It would be backyard friendly but given the .22's ability to travel long distances I do not feel comfortable shooting it around neighbors due to safety concerns.