Can a high end scope help make up for lack of experience and skill when hunting pest animals?

I'm sort of new to hunting pests, where hitting your target where you want to is really important. Not only did I get a gun with great accuracy, I ordered the match grade pellets. Of course I'm doing research and also practicing, but I'm still wondering if a very high end scope is just nicer to use, or if it would make up for a lack of skill and experience and help with accuracy?

A great shooter can shoot great with a crap scope but a crap shooter is still going to be a crap shooter with a great scope, just with less money in his bank account. Not saying you're a bad shot by any means but in general that's how it works. A decent scope is definitely nice to have though so if you can comfortably afford something decent, go for it.

What are you currently working with and what kind of shooting are you doing? Do you have a budget in mind for a new optic?

better scope will help you see better, but not shoot better. that said, seeing the target clearly is generally required to hit something.
at typical airgun pesting ranges, a moderately priced scope will usually be fine, the exception might be in low light conditions (where good glass and coatings make more of a difference).

Kind of a scary thought,the answer is No. Practice is what accuracy is about.
Once the basics are practiced and you become good with them then think about the other "things" that can make your shooting better for you.
A high-end scope does not make you a better shooter or help with a lack of skill. When you get the skill part, a better scope will help you "see" better.:sneaky:

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I'm sort of new to hunting pests, where hitting your target where you want to is really important. Not only did I get a gun with great accuracy, I ordered the match grade pellets. Of course I'm doing research and also practicing, but I'm still wondering if a very high end scope is just nicer to use, or if it would make up for a lack of skill and experience and help with accuracy?
Well a malfunctioning scope will cause missed shots. On springers this can be a serious problem.

If a scope is functioning correctly but simply not extra bright, clear, or consistent in click adjustments, it won’t cost you shots since you shouldn’t be shooting at any living thing without a very clear understanding of the shot and your capability to consistently hit the target. I’ve used high end, middle range, and low end scopes and the difference is fairly minor compared to the more fundamental issues that result in real world field accuracy with an airgun.

No offense but I think you need practice not a scope. Match pellets are a good idea but all barrels like the specific pellets the like and usually not the rest. So try a few types of the match grade basic diabolo style until you find the most accurate one. Once you know which diabolo is the best shooter you can experiment with pointed/expanding/etc specialty pellets.

Then with the knowledge you of what can reliably hit at various ranges, and the energy at the target, you can hunt humanely. Yeah it’s not as simple and blasting away with the old 30-30 but it’s truly what it takes.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I'd make an estimation of your distance then decide if you want to see the critters individual hairs/scales or be in the ball park, enough to do the deed. Then 2nd focal plane or 1st focal plane. Generally 2nd is fine, IF you set it up correctly IMHO and a bunch less fussing about. For us nut cases that are tying to split a card at 100 yards and spending more than most people make in a year, get a decent 2nd FP and call it a day. But then you wind up with this situation....$2,000 worth of gun and glass and the darn thing is too close. That yellow thing in the distance is my target. I just couldn't shoot it, only because I knew I'd miss it that close. I kept shooting, it kept eating.
1675824001895.png
1675824042978.png

Last edited:
Seeing through a better scope can definetly help you gain the skills to make you a better shot. For example, a larger magnifiction will let you see the amount of holding on target, drifting, shakng and whatnot that you are going through to remain on target As such it will, if you are willing to learn from it, help you to control that and become more steady.

What's more, a better scope with quality manufacturing, clear lenses, and all of n alignment will help you not have mistakes in shot placement based on equipment.

I wasn't allowed a scope on any gun until I could hit whatever my dad pointed at with iron sights🤪🤙
Still getting used to scopes bc I'm so used to irons 😄
That's great. All younger generations learned on iron sights. That brings back memories... I broke my front tooth and gouged my dad's TC Contender 30/30 pistol shooting silhouettes nearly 5 decades ago from the kick back.

With scopes come additional skills too.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
It has often been said that cheap scopes don’t track accurately. So if you dial elevation for correction you could be disappointed and frustrated with a cheap scope. But, if you use holdovers with the stadia lines (if it has them) tracking isn’t an issue. Just depends on which school you prescribe to. If you’re a dialer, spend as much as you can afford/justify.
I like dialing at the range, but hunting I like to use holdovers. I laser range to the critter, then holdover as necessary. Hollywood influences a lot of people to be dialers because all the snipers and assassins are shown dialing. I like holdover in the woods so that in the heat of the moment I dial wrong or lost track of where I previously dialed. But playing on the range, dialing is fun. In the woods, shot opportunities are premium so I stack the deck in my favor and range and holdover.
Good luck.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I'd make an estimation of your distance then decide if you want to see the critters individual hairs/scales or be in the ball park, enough to do the deed. Then 2nd focal plane or 1st focal plane. Generally 2nd is fine, IF you set it up correctly IMHO and a bunch less fussing about. For us nut cases that are tying to split a card at 100 yards and spending more than most people make in a year, get a decent 2nd FP and call it a day. But then you wind up with this situation....$2,000 worth of gun and glass and the darn thing is too close. That yellow thing in the distance is my target. I just couldn't shoot it, only because I knew I'd miss it that close. I kept shooting, it kept eating.View attachment 330507View attachment 330508
I admire your hunting ethic. 👍

You need to know your point of impact at short range. For example if at 10yards the pellet will hit lower if you zero your scope at 15 yards. At further distances it makes less of a difference…I use a laser plus scope. what gun?

I got a Gammo Swarm Magnum .22 Gen3i

It comes with a 3-9 x40 scope and the people on YouTube who reviewed it keep saying it's "not bad". I actually built a small U shaped enclosure so I can put food out and shoot at the squirrels at the same distance each time, to keep the shooting (distance, elevation) as consistent as possible. Anything I can do to get the shot as perfect as possible.

Side note, this forum is AMAZING! So much input, this makes learning SUPER fun. Thank you for all the replies!

Reactions: rcs9250
I got a Gammo Swarm Magnum .22 Gen3i

It comes with a 3-9 x40 scope and the people on YouTube who reviewed it keep saying it's "not bad". I actually built a small U shaped enclosure so I can put food out and shoot at the squirrels at the same distance each time, to keep the shooting (distance, elevation) as consistent as possible. Anything I can do to get the shot as perfect as possible.

Side note, this forum is AMAZING! So much input, this makes learning SUPER fun. Thank you for all the replies!
You should definitely replace that scope. Gamo scopes are notorious for not lasting long. I had one go in less than a full mag and the second one only make it a couple months.

A UTG Swat Compact and a UTG one piece mount will work great. The adjustable parallax alone will help shrink your group sizes. They are far from a high end optics but they're built to take the abuse a Gamo Magnum will inevitably put on it.

You should definitely replace that scope. Gamo scopes are notorious for not lasting long. I had one go in less than a full mag and the second one only make it a couple months.

A UTG Swat Compact and a UTG one piece mount will work great. The adjustable parallax alone will help shrink your group sizes. They are far from a high end optics but they're built to take the abuse a Gamo Magnum will inevitably put on it.
Then he gets to learn to focus the reticle AND properly focus the parallax properly. But I do second UTG for that gun.

That's great. All younger generations learned on iron sights. That brings back memories... I broke my front tooth and gouged my dad's TC Contender 30/30 pistol shooting silhouettes nearly 5 decades ago from the kick back.

With scopes come additional skills too.
Over 3 decades of life and only about 2 years looking through a scope on a gun. Got so stuck on iron sights forever it seems 😅
I was my dad's spotter 🤷‍♂️🤪🤙so I got to use the binocs and spotting scopes alot instead🥴

The answer is no.

Typically the higher the price of the scope the more the quality that is built into it. Even that has limits because at a point you are buying into diminishing returns. Spending twice as much for 1-2% more refinement and mostly superior in every way.

On the other hand I've bought cheap scopes that were absolute junk! Fortuitously I was able to get my money back upon returning the scopes. I learned my lesson and bought much nicer scopes.

Nowadays my default if buying scopes is in the $500-$800 range. That sounds expensive but compared to some scopes costing upwards of $5000 the $500 scopes are looking pretty enticing money wise. They aren't as nice as the expensive scopes, but have great warranties, decent glass, loaded with modern features, and most importantly do the job.

BUT if I were outfitting a lower priced springer I suppose I'd buy a scope that is springer rated with a superb warranty and if I didn't plan on putting that scope on a better gun later I'd go for something approximately what the rifle was worth.

Warranty, warranty, warranty - put in some time to find out which brands are the most reliable and get the best reviews.

I'd say use what you have for now and see how it holds up since you aren't using the gun for serious endeavors. You can always upgrade later if you want but at least now you're armed with great advice from the forum members for a possible purchase as you see fit.

Reactions: Centercut