Came to a conclusion today.

I shoot 12 months of the year, don’t miss many days. I will shoot any temperature ( low as 0 ) as long as there’s no wind. Now when I shoot my Stable Table is 20 ft. from my back door under a covered porch. I might step out and shoot for 5 or 10 or 30 min. at a time, several times a day. I really like shooting in winter at nite. 20,000 lumines lites up the snow covered range. You can easily see your shots with your rounds skirt lit up. And No Bugs in winter either. I shoot a few different springers every day, never have a problem in winter. Crow
Thank you for that information! I have always read that a springer does not do worth a darn in cold temps.

So you've never shot your springer in cold temperatures under 45 degrees, yet you say it will be more weather temperature sensitive and won't work well in the cold? I don't exactly understand how you can make the claim and then immediately state you've never done it.

Is this just something you've read somewhere else by chance? What kind of performance difference are we talking? Velocity? POI? Shot cycle feel?

I don't have any issues at all with my coil spring guns in the cold. I hunt with them down to around freezing. Proper lubes and proper piston seal fit make it a non-issue.

A metal coil spring doesn't make a gun temperature sensitive. And leaving one cocked for a few hours doesn't hurt them either.
Yes, I read it that springers were temp sensitive, and should not be left cocked long. I have only been "airgunning" for a few years now, and am still learning.

Yes, I read it that springers were temp sensitive, and should not be left cocked long. I have only been "airgunning" for a few years now, and am still learning.
They are to a certain extent but not enough not to use them in the cold! Usually wanna check your zero before hunting because it could change slightly.
And with gas rams the heat seems to effect them more than cold! At least with the Theoben's I've owned. Still have an Evolution in .177 and in 90+ degrees it shoots quite a bit hotter than usual!

There a lot of myths and old wive's tales that have been floating around for ages around airgun communities. We have Beeman and Gaylord to thank for more than a couple of them....

Don't believe everything you read, do your own experiments and keep learning and having fun. We are all still learning about airguns, if we weren't we wouldn't have anything to talk about!

Reactions: crosman2016
My hw97 is a laser. Great gun!
I wish I had someone close who owned one so I could try it. Considering the cost factor, and my limited experience with springers/NP airguns, I'll stick with PCP or multi-pumps.

The one thing I MUST have is a "quiet" gun. Springers/NP guns are usually loud enough just because of the mechanics. Let alone what comes out of the muzzle.

Then again, the only "springers" I have owned were a Crosman Fire (loud and hard for me to be accurate with) and a Crosman V350 (BB) long ago. I was pretty accurate with the V350, but I was a LOT YOUNGER! Also, I could actually SEE the BB as it flew. Made aiming corrections easy, if I got a second shot. (smile)

P.S.

I did make a DIY noise reducer for the Fire that worked quite well. I could finally actually HEAR the pellet when it hit and the tree rats didn't scatter like they did without it. (grin)

Last edited:
I really wish I could like springers/NP airguns. Fact is I like to hit what I am aiming at and I can do that MUCH easier with PCP or multi-pump airguns.

Nothing against springers/NP airguns or the fans of them. I just like to hit my target consistently without a lot of fuss.

Having said that, I am considering a springer (not NP) for a SHTF gun. Simply because all I need is pellets to use it. (y)
You can enjoy a springer for what it is. They can be very accurate with practice, some easier to master than others. If you are taking critters use the easiest gun that you can shoot accurately. If that is a pcp then I say use it and leave the spring guns for whacking inanimate objects. I just sat down today with my HW97K and smacked steel eggs from 25ish to 45ish yards. It was so fun and simple. No filling the gun with air, it has that satisfying KA-chunk sound when. Fired with that little jump from the spring. It's just one of those things that is very satisfying.

If you ever do venture to try one again, try the very forgiving HW30S. It's very easy to shoot well and it's accurate with the right pellets. Mine in 177 likes the 7.3 JSBs and my 22 cal HW30S likes the H&N FTTS in 14.6 grain and 5.53 head size.

3B8EBE98-3CA4-4B7C-8453-4687A6479395.jpeg

7EA48CDB-859F-4445-8510-6C481C3A0E0C.jpeg

676B731D-3A19-4DB9-A455-569A9A9CD0EA.jpeg

7DF5D1E9-1C26-4091-BD04-044ACCC16F9C.jpeg

C5AAD00E-49E7-4354-9388-C582FEED679A.jpeg

I shoot my TX200HC all year round for FT. In summer, the temperature gets well into the 90s and our winter matches are shot in temperatures as low as 10-15 degrees. The gun actually shoots a little faster in the cold and a little slower when it is real hot. In my experience, the scope is a bigger concern than my TX. Scopes can shift dramatically with temperature extremes. I find my Premier modified Leupolds shift less due to temperature than any other scope I own.

Thanks! I really did not know.

p.s.

However... (grin)

How do the springers fair on accuracy compared to the PCPs in these competitions?

Just curious.
the courses are the same ,pcp or springer and the scores are same also just different power plants
across the pond ALL rifles are under 12 FPE so it is the same competitions mixed pcp and springer

Reactions: BackStop
The courses are the same, but PCP does not compete against springers. They are separate classes. On occasion, if there are not enough spring shooters, you may be bumped to the next, more difficult class, which could be a PCP class.

I have a Steyr and a TX200HC. It is my choice to shoot the TX most, but I have to admit, for me it is much easier shooting the Steyr.

And with gas rams the heat seems to effect them more than cold! At least with the Theoben's I've owned. Still have an Evolution in .177 and in 90+ degrees it shoots quite a bit hotter than usual!
Regarding thermodynamics, very true! As gases increase in temperature thier potential energy per unit mass (specific enthalpy) increases. Compresing a gas increases the temperature becuase you put WORK into the compression. If the initial gas temperature is higher to start with, the final temperature will be largely proportionally higher as well. When a volume of gas with higher total enthalpy is suddenly expanded (as in a gas ram airgun), more energy is extracted from the expansion than with a lower temperature gas.