Came to a conclusion today.

While shooting my two Nitro Piston rifles, and one of my Springers, I finally decided that I sure do like the shooting experience of a Springer, over a Nitro Piston gun. Generally, my Springers shoot more accurately for me as well. I don't know if it is made up in my head, or others feel the same way.

It just sucks that Springers tend to be a little more weather/temperature sensitive than an NP. Has anyone been able to get decent performance out of their Springers in the cold? I have never shot mine below about 45 degrees.

Reactions: Bolillo
Not all piston guns are created equal, be they spring or gas piston. I found Theobens at least as enjoyable to shoot as sping-piston guns.

Theoben Evolution.JPG

And THE least enjoyable piston gun I've owned was a lovely-looking spring gun, but utterly obnoxious to shoot (a Turkish made Webley Longbow).

Last edited:
I shoot 12 months of the year, don’t miss many days. I will shoot any temperature ( low as 0 ) as long as there’s no wind. Now when I shoot my Stable Table is 20 ft. from my back door under a covered porch. I might step out and shoot for 5 or 10 or 30 min. at a time, several times a day. I really like shooting in winter at nite. 20,000 lumines lites up the snow covered range. You can easily see your shots with your rounds skirt lit up. And No Bugs in winter either. I shoot a few different springers every day, never have a problem in winter. Crow

I've got an assortment of higher-end springers, yet the one I reach for first is my Sig ASP20 nitro piston !! It's simply stupid accurate. Easily rivals my PCP rifles. Now....my brother, who ONLY shoots PCP, can't seem to get 3" groups with my Sig. Same gun, same ammo, different user. Go figure !!
Coming from a firearms background, I can tell you it took me thousands of shots to tame my asp20... once I "got it", it became my go to gun to hunt small game, and my regular pester. Also, great for plinking, targets, and anything else. I think anybody having difficulty with with asp doesn't give it enough time...

I really wish I could like springers/NP airguns. Fact is I like to hit what I am aiming at and I can do that MUCH easier with PCP or multi-pump airguns.

Nothing against springers/NP airguns or the fans of them. I just like to hit my target consistently without a lot of fuss.

Having said that, I am considering a springer (not NP) for a SHTF gun. Simply because all I need is pellets to use it. (y)

While shooting my two Nitro Piston rifles, and one of my Springers, I finally decided that I sure do like the shooting experience of a Springer, over a Nitro Piston gun. Generally, my Springers shoot more accurately for me as well. I don't know if it is made up in my head, or others feel the same way.

It just sucks that Springers tend to be a little more weather/temperature sensitive than an NP. Has anyone been able to get decent performance out of their Springers in the cold? I have never shot mine below about 45 degrees.

So you've never shot your springer in cold temperatures under 45 degrees, yet you say it will be more weather temperature sensitive and won't work well in the cold? I don't exactly understand how you can make the claim and then immediately state you've never done it.

Is this just something you've read somewhere else by chance? What kind of performance difference are we talking? Velocity? POI? Shot cycle feel?

I don't have any issues at all with my coil spring guns in the cold. I hunt with them down to around freezing. Proper lubes and proper piston seal fit make it a non-issue.

A metal coil spring doesn't make a gun temperature sensitive. And leaving one cocked for a few hours doesn't hurt them either.

I really wish I could like springers/NP airguns. Fact is I like to hit what I am aiming at and I can do that MUCH easier with PCP or multi-pump airguns.

Nothing against springers/NP airguns or the fans of them. I just like to hit my target consistently without a lot of fuss.

Having said that, I am considering a springer (not NP) for a SHTF gun. Simply because all I need is pellets to use it. (y)
When the SHTF I'd want to be able to hit what I was aiming at more than ever, lol

I don't know about the cold weather shooting but I have a Crosman Shockwave Nitro Piston that has always been hard to c0ck so it's not that enjoyable. It seems to recoil more harshly than my springers. I chopped the barrel and stock so now I c0ck it with a cut off metal broom handle.

I actually think gas rams have a higher temperature sensitivity vs springers iirc.

Not all piston guns are created equal, be they spring or gas piston. I found Theobens at least as enjoyable to shoot as sping-piston guns.

View attachment 280104

And THE least enjoyable piston gun I've owned was a lovely-looking spring gun, but utterly obnoxious to shoot (a Turkish made Webley Longbow).

Theoben evolution?

Man what a shame they went bust, I really wanted to get my hands on a Eliminator/crowmagnum.

When the SHTF I'd want to be able to hit what I was aiming at more than ever, lol

LOL! YES! But I am also considering what accessories it takes for a PCP. Perhaps a multi-pump would be a better choice. Similar to a PCP in that it doesn't jump all over the place when you pull the trigger. But it does take more time to pump. :cool:(y)

Last edited:
LOL! YES! But I am also considering what accessories it takes for a PCP. Perhaps a multi-pump would be a better choice. Similar to a PCP in that it doesn't jump all over the place when you pull the trigger. :cool:(y)
I'm just giving you a hard time..... Left in a SHTF situation, I'd be glad to have either one over a handful of rocks! :D

View attachment 280104

Totally agree and wish Theoben still made them.

One thing to point out here, and the question I always like to ask:

If gas pistons are inherently somehow superior to a metal spring, then why is it almost always the box store cheap stuff that comes with gas pistons? And yet the "high end" expensive German and British guns come with metal springs?

Also, I haven't really seen anyone winning Field Target with a gas piston gun lately. And those guys go to the extremes to find consistency.

Just some food for thought.....

One thing to point out here, and the question I always like to ask:

If gas pistons are inherently somehow superior to a metal spring, then why is it almost always the box store cheap stuff that comes with gas pistons? And yet the "high end" expensive German and British guns come with metal springs?

Also, I haven't really seen anyone winning Field Target with a gas piston gun lately. And those guys go to the extremes to find consistency.

Just some food for thought.....
Is FT separated into PCP and Springer categories?

Forgive me, but I don't remember ever hearing of a springer, of any variety, winning FT. But then again, I really don't keep up with such things. (grin)

Is FT separated into PCP and Springer categories?

Forgive me, but I don't remember ever hearing of a springer, of any variety, winning FT. But then again, I really don't keep up with such things. (grin)
Yes, different classes. Sorted by gun type and also power level and equipment differences.

I don't know about the cold weather shooting but I have a Crosman Shockwave Nitro Piston that has always been hard to c0ck so it's not that enjoyable. It seems to recoil more harshly than my springers. I chopped the barrel and stock so now I c0ck it with a cut off metal broom handle.
Yeah, I don't like the recoil impulse of my NP's...seems more violent.