• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Calling all optics gurus! Best bang for my buck, side focus scope?

Hey guys I am fairly new to the PCP world and I’m looking for some educated assistance on an optic. Currently I am shooting an MK2 wildcat in .25 cal with a Hawke vantage 4-16x50 scope. Though I don’t have any issues with the scope, I do find it annoying to have to adjust my focus clear up at the front, and I also would like something with exposed turrets. I’m also considering a FFP scope. I don’t get much bench time with it and mostly just use it for pest control and I feel like a FFP scope with exposed turrets I could sit down once and set everything up to be able to shoot up to 100 yards or so and it would be much more user friendly for me. I was looking at Hawke FFP sidewinder scopes but was curious if you guys had any insight on a scope that would fit my needs at a better price possibly. Also to add to this I have a local vortex dealer who can get me a great deal on their optics if they have something you guys would recommend. 

I want SF as a lefty BR/bipod shooter. I like Hawke AMX reticle but I’m looking at SWFA 3x15 mil quad or 6, Bushnell Engage MOA Deploy. 

Sightron is supposed to be great. I’m not into super expensive optics. I want positive tracking, lots of fine hash marks, SF I can take or leave.

You’ll get many thoughts but I keep hearing SWFA & Bushnell for my price range. I would go as high as $1500,00 but when a $299.00 SWFA has 100% positive tracking that’s hard to justify when I’ll NEVER be shooting targets past 300 yards even with a .257

If you can get a great deal on a Vortex, get a Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP 6-24x50. They retail for $349 and are worth it, if you can get it cheaper, even better. Has everything you require and are great.

1559961412_16693754975cfb1f448c4a70.70549449_IMG_0940 (2).jpg

Stoti

Two I know of.

Leapers UTG original full size 3-12x44 SWAT, non-IR reticle. About $140. Discontinued but I just bought one new last year. 30mm tube. I feel they area a GREAT scope for the money. Wade and I both have them on our Mrods and regularly shoot to 100 yards plus using the 6 mil-dots. The AO ranges to about 45-50 yards on 12X Decent glass for the cost. Target turrets with 1/8" clicks. Thin reticle.

Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16. About $300ish range. 1" tube. BDC reticle with 3 dashes below the crosshair. Non exposed turrets. Clear glass, thin reticle.

Bigbassguy,

I use my Wildcat .22 and Royale 400 for pesting birds out beyond 100. My WC has an Athlon Midas Tac 4-16 FFP on top and the Royale has an Optisan EVX 4-16 FFP scope. They both have exposed turrets which track excellently, and I can highly recommend both scopes. I prefer the turrets of the Midas Tac and prefer the reticle of the Optisan. The Athlon has slightly better glass but the glass on the Optisan is very good as well. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either scope again.

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck FFP, side focus MOA/MOA scopes are the Monstrum 6-24x50 models. I used their later G1 on springers and PCPs. They always worked well. They have positive locking turrets and their MOA reticles are better than most.

I used the Monstrums for a year or so but eventually switched to an Athlon Helos which is a better scope, but not as good a bang for the buck ($500 vs $220).

Sure would be nice if we knew the budget.

Let's just say that the Athlon Midas TAC series is the way to go because it exhibits the overall quality and glass of much more expensive scopes.

Had six non HD SWFA's, both fixed power and three 3-15 FFP, all sold but one. The TAC is superior in glass vs all of them, and more versatility vs the fixed power, plus it has a true zero stop as well as 10 mil turrets. IMO the best sub $1000 scope turrets on the entire market.

All the other cheaper scopes mentioned fall behind it in various ways, and the TAC, except that it lacks illume, compares well with the Vortex G2 PST.

I know alot of guys like variable power scopes. So do I. However after watching some of joe reah's videos who is a member here and has a youtube channel called cyclops videos dedicated to rifle and airgun scopes I decided to try a fixed scope from swfa. The swfa is a fixed 10x side focus scope with paralax adjustment down to 10meters.its actually more like 8 on mine. Anyway reason for this scope being my choice is that its glass is as clear as you will get for under 1200 dollars. No bullpoop dude that is real. It was designed for military sharp shooters and is built to survive war and is springer resistant. Lifetime warranty and excellent turrets make it incredibly valuable to me. Also it comes in mil/mil or moa/moa so whatever your preference is they got it. I would not recommend this scope if all you do is shoot at 10 yards and under at running squirrels just because its 10x but if the squirrels are still under 10 yards its fine. Its awsome at 20 yo 100 yards! At 399 you cannot get a better scope. In any case check out joes youtube he has a 2019 best airgun scopes video that lists all his favorites and he shows you why. I cant say enough about that channel the man has saved me alot of money and heartache.