Calling all Northern California slug slingers!

Calling all Northern California slug slingers! Think you got the chops to go up against 22LR in a silhouette match? Ready to show them what is up!!! Friend of mine has been running silhouette matches for small bore/22LR for years at Sacramento Valley shooting center. He recently got really into airguns and have since sold all his 22LR stuff so he is opening up his small bore silhouette matches to airguns, in fact he himself competes in all categories with his airguns only. Come on out for a challenging and fun time at windy(usually) Sacramento Valley shooting center and show those 22 LR shooters how it’s done! 

I've posted the event in in AGN calendar for him (currently isn't an AGN member yet) with all the details. Sadly I might not make it to the match this Saturday due to another FT match but I'll be there next month for sure. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/events/smallbore-22lr-and-airgun-silhouette-match/

Hope some of you can make it! 

Edit: if you are really adventurous there are steel targets at 400 and 500 meters you can try after the match! This is an amazing silhouette range that's only accessible to non-voting members and general public during the these matches! 

Qball….I think you will find it incredibly difficult to get people to shoot silhouette…..more than once, anyway. It’s hard, and very few want that much challenge. It’s one of those things that you have to put a lot of time into to become any good at it.

I tried to get some silhouette matches going along with our wftf stuff we were doing a few years back and even most of the ft guys didn’t care to compete…which surprised me.

Shoot it off a bench and a lot more are willing….but that’s not traditional silhouette.

I wish you luck.

Mike 

Reactions: qball
Thanks Mike!

I know silhouette matches just plain hard especially out to 100 meters which is why my friend has the varmint class which is shot off the bench. Also on even months like this month it’s long range match which is also shot off the bench so I think all the people who have been playing with slugs would want to try and have fun at the match but will see if anyone will show up. My friend Dan is going to shoot his Maverick 25 Saturday. Maybe shooting with the 22LR people is a bit intimidating? There is even an airgun specific category for long range match out to 200 meters so I figure all the slug slingers will be chomping at the bits, then again we will see! Personally I want to see if I can at least keep up with the 22LR guys, but I’m weird like that. 

wither way I’ll definitely give silhouette a try next month, I know I SUCK at offhand shooting which is why I want to do it so I can get better. One thing I learned is to always find people who are better at something so I can learn from them and get better. Also if you are afraid of failing then you will never succeed……for crying out loud it’s just a hobby! 🤣🤣🤣

regardless I’ll have fun. 😄

Spoke with DAN earlier in the day, yea I'm thinking his program may fit the SVFTC broader outlook of air gunning in Nor cal.

While myself or qball won't make his current event both going too the ( Nevada State FT / GP ) we are going to talk further and see where this takes us both to better serve / provide Air gunning opportunities in our local region.

Scott S

SVFTC Match Director.

Reactions: qball
Spoke with DAN earlier in the day, yea I'm thinking his program may fit the SVFTC broader outlook of air gunning in Nor cal.

While myself or qball won't make his current event both going too the ( Nevada State FT / GP ) we are going to talk further and see where this takes us both to better serve / provide Air gunning opportunities in our local region.

Scott S

SVFTC Match Director.

Dan said the small bore matches have pretty low attendance anyways(half of the regulars are airguners too) so wonder if he can just simply switch it over to airgun extreme bench rest/field Target match. The range is simply amazing with ar500 silhouette targets out to 500 meters, it’s a slugger’s dream range so it’s a damn shame more airgunners don’t have access to it! can’t wait to see what you and dan come up with, this is exciting!

Last edited:
Please consider forwarding me the link for the matches? I'll post it at Diablo . Our 20 ft lb matches are the first Sunday of every month, but I'll get the Sac Valley info out to everyone we touch. Cross pollination with Scott's and Marty's FT program is a good fit even if the power levels differ.

Here is the link but they have not updated the information to include airguns, working on it though. Funny cause Dan the match director only shoots his airguns at all his matches, in fact he sold all his 22LR stuff.

You
Awesome! Thanks

NP! Hope more people would show up for the match because the range is just amazing!
F63FFDEA-423A-41DF-B81E-85DA16EDD4D9.jpeg

If you got the setup after the match you can try to hit those Rams at 500 METERS or 550 yards!

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Never been to a silhouette match but I just watched a match on YT and it looks FUN!

Is this how your match will be:

Dan is working with AOA on setting up XFT but need some time to fund minimum set of targets cost well over $3,000. If we can get more people attend the silhouette matches then the steel fee can help towards the XFT target fund.

Edit: for the monthly social shoot at range 6 if I can get it on the calendar then the steel fee portion from the range fee can also go towards XFT target fund. Keep in mind sac valley has the cheapest range fee around even for the private ranges.

Last edited: