• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Calling all bullpups

Love my Taipan Vet. Would like to know if anybody is using a tripod for shooting and what you might recommend? Looked at the BOG Death Grip but it's not optimal because of the way it clamps onto the forearm of the bullpen makes the whole setup rather tail heavy. I thought about using a bipod with table but my space for a stable platform is limited where I shoot at home. C'mon guys and girls - what do you think?

I shoot my P35 a little better off a cheap UTG bipod than I did off what I think of as a traditional front rest. In both cases I use a bunny ear bag on the rear. I got a plastic printed adapter that clamps over the air tube and gives me a picatiny to clamp the bipod to. But I shot some good groups with the traditional front rest (sub moa). With both, I find it important to hold onto the front of the gun to get reasonable groups. If I just let it sit on the bipod or rest it seems like the front jumps a tiny amount. I have the same issue with an even lower powered Prod that is also short. I do not need to hold onto my Avenger. I am not sure If this is a possibility for your Taipan, it seems built similar to my P35 but I think there is about a 2 lb weight difference between the guns. More weight should keep the Taipan steadier. Clamping it to the rest should also keep it stable, I would think.

Love my Taipan Vet. Would like to know if anybody is using a tripod for shooting and what you might recommend? Looked at the BOG Death Grip but it's not optimal because of the way it clamps onto the forearm of the bullpen makes the whole setup rather tail heavy. I thought about using a bipod with table but my space for a stable platform is limited where I shoot at home. C'mon guys and girls - what do you think?

@wijib Take a look at @dairyboy’s setup in this thread. It’s a solid. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/whats-your-tripod-setup/
To mount your rifle to a ball head via the picatinny rail you will also need a picatinny to arca plate adapter. They’re relatively inexpensive. I believe he used an Innorel tripod. I also use one of their models. As you mentioned, the thing about mounting bullpups to tripods by the pic rail is that the weight will be unevenly distributed favoring the but of the gun. This isn’t really an issue until you allow your gun, mounted to the pic rail, to rest unsupported (by your hands, chest, or shoulder) and locked in a horizontal position on the ball head. Locking many bullpups in a horizontal position places stress on the pic rail and the screws holding it into your stock. It’s also a concern for picatinny adapter/mounts affixed to the bullpup reservoir (air tube/bottle). I like the gun to be mounted towards the center in proximity to the trigger guard if possible. Personally I don’t like the forward mounting configuration, but if used it I think it works better with a saddle (padded vise type of clamping mount) as opposed to mounting to the pic rail. Sometimes you have one or very limited options when it comes to where or how you can mount a bullpup to a tripod. 

When shopping for tripods and ball heads pay attention to the max weight capacity (of the head and tripod) and the diameter of the skinniest leg section of the tripod. I advise getting something sturdy. I like the skinniest section to be at least around an 1” in diameter. Not sure what your budget is like or what other uses you have for a tripod setup, but those are a few things to consider. 

I use a deathgrip and I know what you mean about tail heavy but it hasn't been an issue for me.

I use a primos trigger stick tripod when hunting sometimes. I shoot a Zbroia Kozak.

I shoot my P35 a little better off a cheap UTG bipod than I did off what I think of as a traditional front rest. In both cases I use a bunny ear bag on the rear. I got a plastic printed adapter that clamps over the air tube and gives me a picatiny to clamp the bipod to. But I shot some good groups with the traditional front rest (sub moa). With both, I find it important to hold onto the front of the gun to get reasonable groups. If I just let it sit on the bipod or rest it seems like the front jumps a tiny amount. I have the same issue with an even lower powered Prod that is also short. I do not need to hold onto my Avenger. I am not sure If this is a possibility for your Taipan, it seems built similar to my P35 but I think there is about a 2 lb weight difference between the guns. More weight should keep the Taipan steadier. Clamping it to the rest should also keep it stable, I would think.

I’m using a Caldwell Magnum Field Pod with my Taipan. It’s solid, stable and works well. As mentioned they have stopped making them and the ones you find are double the original Al price, selling for $400+. I’ve seen pictures of the BOG Unit and it looks identical but I haven’t look closely at it

Bullpups were designed to be shot free hand . Close quarters shooting !

All of my rifles are...bullpups, not a crutch in the place.

Hey...you said..."all" bullpups !

Mike

@wijib Take a look at @dairyboy’s setup in this thread. It’s a solid. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/whats-your-tripod-setup/
To mount your rifle to a ball head via the picatinny rail you will also need a picatinny to arca plate adapter. They’re relatively inexpensive. I believe he used an Innorel tripod. I also use one of their models. As you mentioned, the thing about mounting bullpups to tripods by the pic rail is that the weight will be unevenly distributed favoring the but of the gun. This isn’t really an issue until you allow your gun, mounted to the pic rail, to rest unsupported (by your hands, chest, or shoulder) and locked in a horizontal position on the ball head. Locking many bullpups in a horizontal position places stress on the pic rail and the screws holding it into your stock. It’s also a concern for picatinny adapter/mounts affixed to the bullpup reservoir (air tube/bottle). I like the gun to be mounted towards the center in proximity to the trigger guard if possible. Personally I don’t like the forward mounting configuration, but if used it I think it works better with a saddle (padded vise type of clamping mount) as opposed to mounting to the pic rail. Sometimes you have one or very limited options when it comes to where or how you can mount a bullpup to a tripod. 

When shopping for tripods and ball heads pay attention to the max weight capacity (of the head and tripod) and the diameter of the skinniest leg section of the tripod. I advise getting something sturdy. I like the skinniest section to be at least around an 1” in diameter. Not sure what your budget is like or what other uses you have for a tripod setup, but those are a few things to consider.

Many thanks to all who replied to my question. I very much appreciate the forum and all the help I have received over the years.

Bill