California Airgunners

Hey Jim, is the range still open in Carlsbad?
Range? What range? The only range I’ve ever seen here is the police-only range. Closest outdoor ranges are tens of miles away. Closest indoor range is Iron Sights in Oceanside but I can’t stand having my bones rattled over and over by powder shooters in there with gigantic caliber guns.

Reactions: SoCalAirrifles
Range? What range? The only range I’ve ever seen here is the police-only range. Closest outdoor ranges are tens of miles away. Closest indoor range is Iron Sights in Oceanside but I can’t stand having my bones rattled over and over by powder shooters in there with gigantic caliber guns.
On the backside of the Oilfields, west side of the field

On the backside of the Oilfields, west side of the field
Are you by chance thinking of another city? Not aware of any oil fields here. A google search around San DIego Country shows the nearest outdoor ranges are in Pala (Pala Gun Club) or way down in Dulzura (South Bay Rod & Gun). Anything closer is an indoor-range only, unless you count Camp Pendleton but I think those ranges (Alpha, Bravo, etc.) are limited to military only.

SOCASA.ORG website
CASA is the oldest Field Target club in the US since 1980s
we shoot ,177 and .22 rifles
SECOND SATURDAY and FOURTH SUNDAY in Sylmar, CA

2-28-2010.jpg

Reactions: davhowrd
Are you by chance thinking of another city? Not aware of any oil fields here. A google search around San DIego Country shows the nearest outdoor ranges are in Pala (Pala Gun Club) or way down in Dulzura (South Bay Rod & Gun). Anything closer is an indoor-range only, unless you count Camp Pendleton but I think those ranges (Alpha, Bravo, etc.) are limited to military only.
My Bad, I had a moment.... Yeah I was thinking of another Carlsbad, no where near San Diego.

Where do you bay area guys shoot?
We have a pretty active group who shoot at the USI range in Concord, CA. on Wednesday and Friday and multiple weekend events. We belong to the Diablo Rod and Gun Club. Take a look at our website: https://diablorodandgun.com/
The club bought us a Bauer compressor 5 years ago that is going strong.

No. Central Valley......
But slowly losing all my hunting spots due farmers selling out for housing tracts....
These people don't realize they are moving into a flood plain...
Waiting for the next 50 year flood
Now I have a FX Impact M3, it is getting a full makeover inside and out!

Last edited:
Regarding the Carrizo Plain: it’s a good place for hunting - though not so much in dry years - but keep in mind that target shooting is forbidden.
If you shot into a target to capture your ammo as I do you probably would be fine. They don't want target shooting and leaving a bunch of shot up trash out there which is understandable.