• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Caliber to shoot at 20fpe, .25 possible???

First post with a newbie question, apologies if it has already been discussed and I've missed it. Airgun Nation is an awesome forum, I've learned so much reading so many of the posts, of course now I have a case of the "gotta have's".

I'd like to get a PCP rifle that I can use for fun field target matches and the FPE has to be <=20fpe. I would like to be able to use a .25 caliber, but didn't know if that was practical. I ran the calculations with some of the available .25 pellets which worked, but I was just guessing so far as velocity and whether or not it would be ridiculously inaccurate. Ideally wanted the .25 so it could also be used for hunting and some varmints, like groundhogs, etc.

Would appreciate any suggestions and sage advice. Thanks!!

Two biggest downsides to a .25 for < 20fpe field target are how loopy he trajectory would be, and trying to squeeze a .25 projectile through a 3/8" kill zone 0.375").

For a .25 to be moving slow enough to keep it under 20 fpe you're going to have a heck of a rainbow. And part of the game is distance estimation. Being off by a couple yards on the far targets isn't a problem with a zippy little .177, cuz trajectory is "straight" enough to still be in the kill zone. May not be the case with a .25, ie, more precise yardage determination would be necessary.

The math shows that a .25 will fit through a 0.375 hole, but man I man there ain't much wiggle room.

Even .22 is rarely used in sub20fpe ft, for the reasons listed above. I think a .25 would really be a handicap.

Yes indeed to above anwser !!!!
Loopy trajectory equates too Ranging & POI difficulties.
Larger diameter more prone to snagging edges of the KZ hole far easier than smaller calibers.

Now said ... I broke the .177 tradition some 7 years ago going to .20 caliber on my primary FT rigs. Yes indeed this caliber as well makes it more difficult for the same reasons we are mentioning :rolleyes: ... while not a lot, still a tad more challenging. The PLUS side is better BC in .20 with less wind drift overall.

.22 can be made to work as one learns the FT game, but .25 cal don't think anyone experienced in the FT game would recommend using it .. outside of if it's all you have & comply to <20 fpe is GO GET YOUR FEET WET at an FT event seeing what the game is all about :love:

Reactions: OldSpook
Two biggest downsides to a .25 for < 20fpe field target are how loopy he trajectory would be, and trying to squeeze a .25 projectile through a 3/8" kill zone 0.375").

For a .25 to be moving slow enough to keep it under 20 fpe you're going to have a heck of a rainbow. And part of the game is distance estimation. Being off by a couple yards on the far targets isn't a problem with a zippy little .177, cuz trajectory is "straight" enough to still be in the kill zone. May not be the case with a .25, ie, more precise yardage determination would be necessary.

The math shows that a .25 will fit through a 0.375 hole, but man I man there ain't much wiggle room.

Even .22 is rarely used in sub20fpe ft, for the reasons listed above. I think a .25 would really be a handicap.
Thanks, Frank!! I definitely don't want to start out with that great a handicap.

Don't think I'll be that great a shot even under the best conditions!! Not necessarily in it to win, but sounds like the .25, and even .22, would have me pretty frustrated rather than having fun!!

Yes indeed to above anwser !!!!
Loopy trajectory equates too Ranging & POI difficulties.
Larger diameter more prone to snagging edges of the KZ hole far easier than smaller calibers.

Now said ... I broke the .177 tradition some 7 years ago going to .20 caliber on my primary FT rigs. Yes indeed this caliber as well makes it more difficult for the same reasons we are mentioning :rolleyes: ... while not a lot, still a tad more challenging. The PLUS side is better BC in .20 with less wind drift overall.

.22 can be made to work as one learns the FT game, but .25 cal don't think anyone experienced in the FT game would recommend using it .. outside of if it's all you have & comply to <20 fpe is GO GET YOUR FEET WET at an FT event seeing what the game is all about :love:
Thanks, Motorhead!

I'll check out the .20's. Hopefully the budget will allow me getting hooked on this hobby with multiple airguns or ones with multiple caliber capabilities (at least I'd be saving on the cost of multiple scopes ;)).

I think I'm pretty much hooked just reading about it!! Many years ago I loved doing field archery practice with my dad, gave it a more fun and challenging experience for me than regular target shooting. Although that was fun too.

Find a club doing for fun FT events or just some buddies to sample various distance precision shooting w/o knowing the distance prior.
We who shoot FT mostly use parrilax focus and a data card to have a known trajectory profile & corresponding hold correction required.
Sounds like a plan!!

Thanks!! So much to learn for my old brain :giggle:

Reactions: wolfdog
I second the advice about going to a Field Target match and soaking your “old brain”. You will find a lot of other old brains who can steer you. Your profile page states you live in Maryland. Here is a link to match locations. Hopefully some are close enough for you to attend a match.

I second the advice about going to a Field Target match and soaking your “old brain”. You will find a lot of other old brains who can steer you. Your profile page states you live in Maryland. Here is a link to match locations. Hopefully some are close enough for you to attend a match.

Thanks!!! And the location is great, I knew they had an air rifle group, but thought it was for the kids. Today's airguns certainly aren't the kid's airguns for plinking we had when I was young. The PCP airguns are amazing.

Thanks!!! And the location is great, I knew they had an air rifle group, but thought it was for the kids. Today's airguns certainly aren't the kid's airguns for plinking we had when I was young. The PCP airguns are amazing.
Drop by a match and let them know you are interested and totally new to the game. I have shared my rifle many times with people interested in the sport, but who have never shot. If somebody asks if you want to shoot please don't say no....Take them up on it and have fun. The first time I shot FT I really sucked!!!!!

Now I have fun at it and most everybody are very welcoming when you start out....After a few matches you will settle down and get into a groove.

Our son was in town over Christmas and had never shot FT so we took him to the Tuesday morning "Crusty Critter" match and he shot Barb's Revere....After about 15 minutes on the sight in range he cleared the course....He beat both Barb and I 😱. Should have made him walk back to the house 😂😂😂

Tony P.

Reactions: New2PCP
Drop by a match and let them know you are interested and totally new to the game. I have shared my rifle many times with people interested in the sport, but who have never shot. If somebody asks if you want to shoot please don't say no....Take them up on it and have fun. The first time I shot FT I really sucked!!!!!

Now I have fun at it and most everybody are very welcoming when you start out....After a few matches you will settle down and get into a groove.

Our son was in town over Christmas and had never shot FT so we took him to the Tuesday morning "Crusty Critter" match and he shot Barb's Revere....After about 15 minutes on the sight in range he cleared the course....He beat both Barb and I 😱. Should have made him walk back to the house 😂😂😂

Tony P.
Definitely plan to drop by a match, won't even need to borrow a gun (other than maybe to see what to purchase next 😉). We bought a .30 Ghost to take care of a guinea fowl killing fox and a .177 barrel for the crazy lady that wants to try field targets. Although not as pretty a Ghost as the one Barb had in that photo I saw in one of the threads!!

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment for your son's never having shot FT!! Sounds like he had great teachers, maybe too good 🤣