• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Caliber... man. Feeding vs Magazine ? Accuracy

Just a general question - i have .177 and .22 FAC barrel kits for my FX Crown.

Light pellets in .177 especially from JSB due to their softer lead will benefit from the manual loading.
When i shoot .22 i mainly shoot Slugs, hades and 18 gr. Jsb and I dont see the same accuracy improvement of handfeeding....
so in .25 and larger calibrrs does it make any differences in accuracy when hand loading? I assume compared to a good auto indexing magazine ?
I look forward for your opnion.....

The reason for this question is that i designed a manual indexing .177 to my Crown and will do one for 22 as well. A lot of comments was that I should do one for .25 and .30 as well. But In my head there must be limited gain

image of my new manual indexing Single loader

Claus
20230308_092942.jpg

20230307_165653.jpg
20230308_100213.jpg
20230308_090206.jpg
20230308_090238.jpg
20230308_090317.jpg
20230308_090338.jpg
20230308_093048.jpg
20230308_093107.jpg
20230308_094916.jpg

Last edited:
I have a .22 cal Daystate Air Ranger that simply stacks pellets when I use either the factory single shot tray or my Rowan Engineering swing out tray. With any magazine - and I have tried several iterations of Daystates, CARM and others - I get variation in the POI. Not huge, but real and noticeable. At 25 yards, ten shots might group at around 4-5 mm CTC or so with the best of the mags, while single shot is probably at 2mm (with ~8 of the ten being in the same hole). I've done everything I can think of from shiming, to deburring to pretty much anything and I can't get them to stack the same with any magazine. I don't have this issue with 3 Marauders that I have - they all shoot the same either way.

Nice!! A couple of years ago I machined up a few on the CNC in 177, 22 and 25 out of aluminum for all my hunting rifles..I call them manual mags.. I personally like the manual mags when hunting... If I don't have the shot I can decock my rifle and it not index to the next round and worry double loading.. sure I could use the safety when using the factory self indexing mag.. but 9 times out of 10.. in the excitement of the hunt I will forget it was already loaded and double load it anyway..
Some of the self indexing mags in all 3 calibers never caused me any major accuracy issues (manual mags do better) except for slugs... Non of mine do well with slugs.. my manual mags work great for slugs...

@engfred I have been chasing an accuracy issue with my M3 22 shooting FX or JSB 18.1g pellets. For a while I was (still am a bit) thinking it was me then I started trying to reduce my ES to single digits an ongoing task.
Then @Bigragu said this
"Me personally I noticed early on when shooting pellets, the groups are best with a full mag, and somewhere when the mag gets to be only a third full, groups slowly start to open up. I’ve found that depending on the tension of the internal spring inside the mag, it can cause pellets to tilt as the spring pressure forces the pellet against one side of the mags exit hole, and it gets worse as the mag empties as there’s less weight from the pellets.
Because of this, I try to stop shooting and refill the mag when it gets down to the last 10 or so pellets.
And if you’re using a pin style pellet probe and if this is going on with your mag, that pin probe exacerbates things.
Without you realizing this, the start of a full mag is in line with a gun freshly pressurized full, then as you cocky thru your mag, coincidentally your air pressure is dropping and you are more focused on the air pressure being the cause of impact shifts, when
it could be a problem with your mag.
So like was suggested, rule the mag out by single loading, and if your shooting pellets stay with a pellet probe, not a pin style"

So I thought I'd try something different. Instead of chasing my POI thinking I had a problem reading wind or to wide of an ES, I started with 240bar in my big tank and also in the gun leaving the valve open. A near windless day I started shooting 5 or 6 shot groups keeping the same aim point. I shot 4 mags and I belive that @Bigragu may be correct. So now I am going to print a single shot tray to continue my test. Then I remembered seeing a post about a manual indexed mag and here I am.
I don't care much for SS loading and I am very interested in your design (once again) and looking forward to seeing results.