• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Caliber Collection?

So. I have an idea about usability and selection.

I feel that there are overlaps in calibers and capabilities.

For instance.

I don't care for .177. but it's still a usable caliber for small game.

I know there are more but I feel those are the most popular.

So for "hunting" as paper don't care about damage. I would say a set of 177, 25, 45 would cover a wind range of prey.

As I prefer nothing smaller than 22... I would say 22, 35, 50 would be a solid covering of calibers and you could tune the pellet weight to what ya plan to kill.

What caliber(s) would you guys say for the best selection to cover small to large game?

Coverage from small to large least amount of calibers?

Reactions: longshot81
I use .25 and .35. My very first airgun was a Benjamin bulldog 357, then I bought a AEA HPSS 25 cal semi-automatic, I also picked up a Hatsan jet 25 a few weeks back, and the guy I got that from offered me a fantastic deal on a 25 cal sortie which I really didn't need but it was such a good deal, I could not turn it down and I actually love the gun now. Most people don't believe me but I actually like the sortie better than the HPSS now. Anyway those are the two calibers I've been using but today I just purchased a AEA Challenger bullpup 50 cal. I'm really excited to try that out.

I use .25 and .35. My very first airgun was a Benjamin bulldog 357, then I bought a AEA HPSS 25 cal semi-automatic, I also picked up a Hatsan jet 25 a few weeks back, and the guy I got that from offered me a fantastic deal on a 25 cal sortie which I really didn't need but it was such a good deal, I could not turn it down and I actually love the gun now. Most people don't believe me but I actually like the sortie better than the HPSS now. Anyway those are the two calibers I've been using but today I just purchased a AEA Challenger bullpup 50 cal. I'm really excited to try that out.
So 25/35/50 is your selection?

Kind of one of those shooting paper is not FPE dependent. And pushing 177 at 1k is only X fpe with max weight pellet where shooting 22 at 1k with lightest pellet is greater FPE. If that makes sense.

I also have a bulldog 357... And a 22 Springer. So think the most FPE 357 would cover all of 45 up to the lightest 50.

I used .25 cal at 47fpe to take anything from mice to fox for years. I doesn't blow small game to pieces and even at 50yds I've still had pass through on fox with headshots. Any bigger than fox (coyote and larger) and I'd probably opt for .30 cal or just tune my .25 for a bit more oomph. I can't say for certain though because I've never attempted anything bigger than fox.

Reactions: longshot81
I used .25 cal at 47fpe to take anything from mice to fox for years. I doesn't blow small game to pieces and even at 50yds I've still had pass through on fox with headshots. Any bigger than fox (coyote and larger) and I'd probably opt for .30 cal or just tune my .25 for a bit more oomph. I can't say for certain though because I've never attempted anything bigger than fox.
What airgun do you have?

What airgun do you have?
***Had. It was an FX Dreamline Classic in .25. I had it tuned for 47fpe with JSB 25.39gr but ended up adding a Power Plenum and returning it for 60fpe with JSB 33.95gr pellets. I ended up selling it before doing any hunting at that power level though. My group sizes definitely shrunk after that tune so I have no doubts that it would have done well.

***Had. It was an FX Dreamline Classic in .25. I had it tuned for 47fpe with JSB 25.39gr but ended up adding a Power Plenum and returning it for 60fpe with JSB 33.95gr pellets. I ended up selling it before doing any hunting at that power level though. My group sizes definitely shrunk after that tune so I have no doubts that it would have done well.
Those are nice rifles.

So 25/35/50 is your selection?

Kind of one of those shooting paper is not FPE dependent. And pushing 177 at 1k is only X fpe with max weight pellet where shooting 22 at 1k with lightest pellet is greater FPE. If that makes sense.

I also have a bulldog 357... And a 22 Springer. So think the most FPE 357 would cover all of 45 up to the lightest 50.
Yes, I don't really see the point of anything smaller than a 25 cal. The smallest thing I've hunted is a squirrel and .25 cal makes quick work of them without causing too much damage. I bought the 50 cal for deer hunting. I killed a wild pig with my Benjamin but I was hesitant to take it deer hunting even though I know it's powerful enough, I don't want to cause undo suffering to a deer if I misplace the shot. I would rather make sure I have something that can get the job done.

What is your dream gun if you don't mind me asking?

An old Weihrauch HW55 Tyro. Prettiest gun ever made in my eyes and one of the softest shooting and pleasant cocking springers I've ever been fortunate enough to handle. The 5oz trigger is pretty fantastic too. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I mostly use it for indoor Olympic style 10m shooting but do plan on using it more for some of the indoor FT matches that the local club puts on.

20221107_163402.jpg

I figure if I need a 900 fps 357 or larger pellet gun to kill whatever is requiring said size ammo, then I'm somewhere I could be using a powder gun and probably should be. I was going to go up into the big bores, but I feel 22 and 25 is all I need in an airgun. I've been using a 22 pcp for most of my small game hunting for almost a decade now. The 25 will do the bigger stuff up to yotes if needed but even those I feel need a faster projectile to reach them in time, they tend not to get close enough for a good ethical shot with a slower moving projectile.

I'm currently finishing out my 177 pellets and then selling the guns. Tired of fiddling with tiny pellets and then only getting 15-20 fpe anyways unless you wanna pay a premium for the heavier stuff. Might as well shoot 25 then.

Reactions: Mycapt65
What's the largest critter you would use a 30 for?

Interesting to see the diff in slug-pellet as well... Even though small, still a difference.

I hope/plan to get a slugger in 22/35/50... Maybe a semi in 22 for pellets.
.30 in pellets ... Critter in my world EQUAL a Pest animal .... anything up to and including coyotes.
If I'm spilling blood for food / meat outside squirrels and rabbits not using an air gun and collecting game with a worthy firearm !!

.30 in pellets ... Critter in my world EQUAL a Pest animal .... anything up to and including coyotes.
If I'm spilling blood for food / meat outside squirrels and rabbits not using an air gun and collecting game with a worthy firearm !!
Yeah I get that. To me a pig is a pest.. well wild pigs... And I think 30 would be the minimum... Really 357 to be honest. But I'm not talking about piglets and such. Thinking more along the lines of say you want to hunt more seasons. There's black powder, archery, firearm... What if there was an air gun season? Then what calibers for United States animals? A 30+ in real guns for moose persay. But in air no less than 50 would be my guess. What about bear season? Airgun? What caliber?

Just pondering.