Caldwell Stable Table Labor Day Sale

These are by far the best and most stable 'somewhat portable' air gun shooting tables I have used, unless you want to DIY your own wood and/or concrete shooting table, or get up into the much higher tier models like a Stukey ($1,400). Their stability is further enhanced if they are placed on hard ground, or if on soft ground, with 12"x12" pavers under each foot.

$160 plus sales tax (at least to CA) with free shipping during Caldwell's Labor Day sale. Next best price is on Amazon where they are ~$210 plus sales tax.

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/benches/the-stable-table/252552.html

These stand up really well being left outside in the elements. I have 4 of them already at my home range as I am always hosting local friends to come over to shoot. The adjustable height seat is regularly used by different shooters, or when shooting a gun off a different style of rest. Makes shooting comfortable. Some have said that they don't think the 34"x23" table top is of adequate size, but I have never found this to be an issue.

It looks like the ones available currently from Caldwell have a newer design round shaped seat, instead of the older seat shape. Don't know what difference that will make in comfort.

Newer Style:

Stable New.1630422671.jpg

Older Style:

Stable Old.1630422671.jpg

I too have the Lite version, and I really like it. It is surprisingly stable and also surprisingly light. I really appreciated the lightness and the ability to fold up into something small whenI had to relocate it from my 50 yard shooting position to the inside of my garage while preparing for Hurricane Henri a week and a half ago.

The stable table looks good too. I wonder if my wife would complain if I had a second shooting table…….

...The stable table looks good too. I wonder if my wife would complain if I had a second shooting table...

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife. And anyway, she enjoys it when our Cowboy shooting friends, turned Airgun shooting friends, come by the house for a shoot. And as soon as her broken elbow heals, she'll be out there shooting her airguns with the group again.

I actually bought another one of these Stable Tables at the great sale price. Will allow me to convert the little green MTM table back to portable use, or as an overflow position when we have more than 5 shooters. It is a real PITA to shoot off that little and low picnic table on the right, and I'm usually the one who gets that station!

IMG_2010.1630544961.JPG

...The stable table looks good too. I wonder if my wife would complain if I had a second shooting table...

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife. And anyway, she enjoys it when our Cowboy shooting friends, turned Airgun shooting friends, come by the house for a shoot. And as soon as her broken elbow heals, she'll be out there shooting her airguns with the group again.

I actually bought another one of these Stable Tables at the great sale price. Will allow me to convert the little green MTM table back to portable use, or as an overflow position when we have more than 5 shooters. It is a real PITA to shoot off that little and low picnic table on the right, and I'm usually the one who gets that station!

IMG_2010.1630544961.JPG

You are a lucky man! 

My wife is very understanding about everything I buy except firearms. We’ve “evolved” to where just doesn’t say anything, and she definitely prefers airguns to powder burners, but there is no chance she is gonna come out and shoot with me and my friends. She’s quite happy for me to have my friends come over and shoot, as long as i put everything away afterwards.Me, I want to leave shooting tables and targets hanging around all over the place 😎

@TMH- can the table itself be raised higher? I’d like to pick one of these up(thank you, btw, for announcing the sale!), but I’m hesitant only because of my fused back from thoracic to tailbone. If being at all haunched with a rounded back is the position one will be when using this, well, no can do for BigRagu.

Big favor if possible- anyone on here thats of the 6’-4”, 250 build, can you send me a pic thru pm of you on the table with your Airgun, in the most comfortable position ready to shoot. I don’t like the pics of the ones that show a dude using it in the ads. They always put a guy on there that’s a mini me and it makes the set up look spacious and huge.

These tables can be raised, but only via setting the legs onto something taller like concrete retaining wall blocks. The seats have a nice range of height adjustability just using a heavy quick-release pin. 

It just so happens that I am 6'4" tall and weigh just shy of 250#. As you can tell by how I spend my money, I find these tables to be very comfortable for long shooting sessions. I tried out a whole bunch of different solutions early on, and always wound up with pain between my shoulder blades after shooting. But not with these. Plus with their adjustable height seats, they work well with shooters of different heights/statures, and with different height shooting rests.

I'll try to remember to get a pic of me during today's shooting festivities and get it to you. It might have to be staged, though, as I think I will be on the MTM table while my friends are on the Caldwells!

Bigragu and Scotty1 -

Here is a pic of me on the Caldwell Stable Table. I'm just over 6'4" tall and weigh 248#.

You can see that the seat adjusts fairly extensively up and down for getting one's back pretty straight. In the pic the seat is in the 3rd position from the bottom, and could move 4" up or 2" down. Then, of course, you have the ability to raise your rifle higher or lower on the shooting deck by using different rests, bipod legs in different positions, etc.

We use these for a fairly wide variety of shooters, including kids. Seems like everyone can get comfortable on them. For an extremely short individual, or one with a short torso, it would be easy to put an FT type shooting cushion onto the plastic seat, but we have never needed to do this.

IMG_2014.1630688041.JPG

I received one of the Stable Tables today, of the 2 which I ordered on this sale.

I am happy to report that the seat is still the 'spade' shape, and is not the round one.

My home range can now accommodate 5 shooters in style, comfort, shade and stability. By next week the white picnic table on the right can go to make room for a 6th shooting position. Then I'm DONE. Will have to start charging membership dues soon.

IMG_2026.1630881617.JPG

Opon first opening the box it looks like any other caldwell packaged product.

20210905_171738.1630889481.jpg

Except that it was heavy. The legs and post are thick and nothing like a typical folding table or chair. It took basically no time to assemble. Maybe 20 minutes. Probably did not need the instructions if you just had a blown up parts diagram, but for some I understand it is nice to have.

20210905_180445.1630890310.jpg

If the top were to wear out I see it as just an opportunity to replace it with a heavy wood top. 

20210905_174657.1630890265.jpg

I put some locktite on the table top bolts so they would not wiggle out

It has this plate that is bolted to the table top that could easily be bolted to a custom made top. I may do that anyways as i tend to like the tables a little wider with the slight kick out on the side for a bag or monopod. I'm not sure how well the knobs will hold up to the weather as they do not look very robust and may split over time. 

20210905_181955.1630891352.jpg

They are threaded metric 10mm x 1.5 so you should be able to source them if and when they do break.

20210905_182449.1630891614.jpg

Otherwise a simple heavy duty teardown table. 

20210905_175003.1630889923.jpg

Allen

Does the table top and or seat rock a little if you shift your weight around? Does it fold up or you take it apart? How heavy is it?

These tables are not as stable as a concrete or heavy lumber constructed shooting bench but of the easily purchased and assembled variety I find them to be the most stable at this price point. Sure, there is a little movement as you move around but not much. It will also depend on the stability of the surface you put it on. Since mine are on sandy dirt, I put concrete patio pavers under each foot and they are quite stable enough for my needs.

These don't fold in any respect. Some of Caldwell's other portable or 'Lite' Stable Tables do, but then they are then not as stable as these tables in use. Each leg comes off with removal of a pin, as will the seat assembly. The top and the post will come off after you loosen a wingnut-type bolt. So could feasibly be transported with legs removed, top removed, and probably seat, post & base still assembled.

They weigh about 80 pounds.

"Some of Caldwell's other portable or 'Lite' Stable Tables do, but then they are then not as stable as these tables in use."

Debatable, IMO. I have the Lite version and it is pretty solid once you sit down to shoot. The single post design of the non-Lite unit to me suggests that any movement by the shooter might move the entire unit more than would the 3 point arrangement of the Lite unit. Could be wrong, though.

As Tom says they are very stable for the price point. Right now I would say they are more stable than a folding table and even more stable than my dewalt folding table. Will it would shake a lot if you raise your feet off the chair and shake them?? Heck yeah lol But i have not really got much use out of it yet.

It tears down easily as i had to move it to the other side of the house. In some ways it is better so you can take a couple trips. You could take two trips to move it. I would definitely not recommend just carrying it all in one load as it is too heavy. The foot print is a lot larger than you would think.

Allen