Caldwell Magum Deadshot tripod

I have one. Be aware there is a magnum and a max model. The max model is lighter and cheaper. The difference in the two are the legs. The magnum has spikes on the bottom of the legs to hold it steady in the dirt. That said, the magnum is a very steady rest. I use it when I shoot ground squirrels and use it standing. The legs are adjustable from prone to standing. The shortest distance between the two yokes is 22". My Mutant standard fits nicely. The tilt and pan is adjustable for tension and is very smooth. It folds and comes with a carrying strap. The few times I shoot paper, I use it instead of a bench or table. Two of my friends tried it and they each bought one. You should be able to find one on sale this time of year. Hope this helps

@FredSG...if you're shooting in wind strong enough to knock this down you can forget trying to hit anything with an Air rifle.
The telescoping part of the legs lock but they splay and close freely; but make no mistake, the weight distribution along spikes at the end of the legs make for a solid rest.

They bite very well into cement, asphalt and dirt. I like that the legs don't lock because it allows for quick micro adjustments without having to unloosen and retighten a couple of knobs.
The only way your gun will fall off is if you leave it unattended with the swivel tension knob loose...gravity will eventually tug on the heaviest end.
I had reservations too since I'd be using it with $1000-$2000 pcp's. The few rounds that I have shot with it left me with one thought , "man, this is cheating."
Very, very good purchase.

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind my questions . . . is there any way to lock the legs in place once they have been set in a firing position? . . . to keep them from splaying further out from their set position? I have to admit I have the Magnum Tripod and when I was using it with my TX200 everything was fine but when I went to change my paper target a sudden gust of wind just knocked my Magnum over sending my TX200 onto the gravel. I'm thinking if that happened to my PCP the air tube might get damaged or my scope would feel the hurt!
I tried using bungee cords to tie the legs together to keep them from splaying out further . . . any other ideas? The leg screws can't be tightened any more to keep them more secure when splayed out . . . top heavy seems to be a weakness.

@FredSG...nah, don't worry, bro, inherent to any forum is questions upon questions.

I've configured this tripod in various ways and honestly can only see it toppling if the "friction" and "pivot" knobs are loose which would affect the yokes weight bearing ability...and if the bubble level is giving a misaligned reading. Unless you're 6'5" and have the legs so close together to accommodate such height thereby rendering the blance to a teeter, well, it'll definitely fall over then. I found it sturdiest in dirt and unforgiving on wood (the spikes aren't pointy enough to bite into wood) which is quickly remedied with rubber table leg inserts found at Home Depot ($4). But the legs absolutely Do Not lock.

Fred, what surface are you shooting on? The spikes won't dig into a smooth cement floor or a hard wood floor. I'm using mine on a smooth cement surface most of the time and I have a piece of carpet remnant on the cement. It's about 4' square so it's not going anywhere. The spikes dig in and the tripod doesn't move. You can go to your local carpet store and ask them for piece that they are going to throw away. If you're shooting on dirt and the tripod fell, my guess is you have the legs too close together and the spikes are angled so far in that they can't dig into the ground. You should have plenty of adjustment in the length of the legs so you can spread them out and still be able to shoot comfortably.

I have an indoor/outdoor rug on a rough ceramic tile patio. The spikes hold very well. Sometimes I place the tripod where only two legs touch the the large rug. I just place a bathroom rug under the third leg. Works perfectly. The tripod has never slipped , and I have bumped into the leg many times. I had originally thought I would drill holes in the floor for stability, but there is no reason for this as per my experience. At first, I tethered the legs as a precaution, and the tether is still there, ( the sling included) but there is no need. It's just something to get tangled in. These work quite well with a high-power firearm. Very stable and usable. I've used them on a wooden deck with holes drilled to accommodate the spikes. Use max eye relief , if you don't use a muzzle brake, from a chair. Trust me on this one. Over-all, these work very well for me. Very effective reclined in a chair looking for needles in trees at perhaps 75- 80 degrees. A bipod such as a "Dead Deer" is also very effective and frankly , easier and better with very high angles of inclination. I purchased one from sportsmans guide for I believe $135. Very good deal.