Caldwell Accumax bipod review! "D'oh!"

Here's my review on the Calwell Accumax Bipod. It was never my intention to have these reviews considered "torture tests" in any way. I had high hopes for this one but, I guess I pushed it too far during the test and it couldn't keep up. 

It's going to have to be left out of my final testing unless I can repair it before then. 

Hope you all enjoy!

Tom

1569715612_13453009115d8ff59c9bcb82.76149207_Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 6.01.02 PM.png

P.S. This one was the first to fail but, it's not the last to fail! ;)

Jeez...,Tom! If you are going to use your gun as a balance beam for gymnastics something will fail. I understand testing a $500 bipod like this because it has a wide and diverse role to fill and they are not really affordable to most, so you want what you paid for, BUT. I think your experience with great bipods leads you to expect too much from obviously lesser ones. Truthfully, there are no deals, you get what you pay for. I am really interested in seeing how these bipods function more than at what point they fail at. I was really laughing watching you tweak the hell out of that thing; I would never intentionally treat my weapons roughly, and I didn't in the Army either, because my life depended on it and I didn't want to lose my zero. Airguns are a whole different level of delicate (except for Eduns) and most would not have survived you putting all your weight on them to push down the legs. Most of the mounting points aren't that rugged either, never mind the long floating barrels. Too funny! If you keep testing at this level this test is really going to cost you. Thanks for the effort, it is interesting to watch.

Please take a moment to consider a few things. I performed the functionality tests before I took it outside to run it through more stressful paces. On the bench top, everything functioned as it should. When I took it outside, and started to push it, is when I ran into the main issue with this particular one. But again, in a calm non-stressful environment it functioned and I showed that.

I scripted the videos this way on purpose. I wanted to test the basic functionality before I took any chances at having a malfunction or pushing anything beyond its limits. 

It was never my intention to break any of these bipods, and I don't feel as though I'm putting them through unreasonable tests. Even pushing down on the legs to see if they will hold or not is not meant to break anything. It is meant to answer a question - CAN it slip, IF pushed hard enough and, if so, where is that point? If I'm putting my whole body into making the leg slip then, it's a non-issue. If I can make it slip by simply pushing on it with my finger then, there's an issue that many shooters could struggle with. 

So far, 2 bipods out of 5 have "failed" (IMO) these tests for different reasons. Of those 2, one was this one in the $100+/- range and the other was around $230 and all metal construction. Keep this in mind too - The Harris bipod was the cheapest one of all the bipods being tested (~$75) and it passed these same tests just fine. The Caldwell costs more, does more, and ultimately scored worse, IMO. 

Also, these video reviews are not just for airgun benchrest shooters. They will be viewed by a multitude of shooters performing a multitude of disciplines. Some of those shooters will be treating their rifles rough and taking them to the limits. For those shooters, a video like this may save them money and headaches. 

My intention is to sell off many of the bipods after the final testing is done. Losing money is a risk I was willing to take when I acquired them. I certainly hoped they would all perform great and that I wouldn't lose too much money but, I went into this knowing that was a possibility. 

Yes, I have grown accustomed to top of the line bipods. In my intro video I stated, "For some shooters, a bipod is nothing more than legs for your rifle". These videos aren't really applicable to those type of shooters other than to show them how the bipods function. These videos are more applicable for the shooters that not only want to see the bipods function, but also see them put through the paces and expose any weaknesses they may have. These shooters look at a bipod as more than a pair of legs. It's a piece of equipment that needs to perform in order to help them achieve the level of shooting that they are pursuing. 

RMAC has prone shooting, benchrest, sitting, shooting off a barrel, shooting off a rooftop (2018), and barricade, among many other positions. Many of these events are timed and meant to put the shooter into a stressful environment. During these stressful times, a shooter is quite often more aggressive and harder on their equipment. My Red Wolf is a benchrest queen and, yes, I'm going to treat it like one. However, my Impacts stand a very decent chance at being put through the same paces that I show in these videos. In fact, I was going to use one of my Impacts for these videos but, I decided not to because, I wanted the focus to be on the bipod and not the rifle it was being used on. 

In the end, I'll never be able to satisfy everyone no matter how I structure the testing and no matter how hard or light I push the bipods. I'd only ask that if you watch the videos, you consider each series of movements individually. Focus on what applies to you and your style of shooting and base your opinion on those areas. 

Thanks to both of you for sharing your opinions and for watching my videos. I will keep your opinions in mind but, the bipod tests will continue in the same format in order to remain equal and fair. 

Happy shooting! 

Tom

Thanks for the explanation Tom, I get your point. I was just saying I have 3 of them and have never had a problem. I’m waiting for your review of the UTG Rubber Armored Full Metal QD Bipod. That one is my favorite non big bucks bipod. For $40 it’s hard to beat, and other than weight it’s better than the $90 Caldwell Accumax. 

Mike