• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Caiman X vs Taipan Veteran

Howdy folks, I am new here and this is my first post.

I am in the market for my first PCP rifle. I do have a PCP pistol, a Pardini K12 10 Meter Olympic pistol, which I have shot in a few competitions.

I am kind of set on a short bullpup design and I think I have narrowed it down to two rifles, the Caiman X and the Taipan Veteran. I can't make up my mind though on which one to get. Part of me thinks I should go with the Veteran as I like the aesthetics of it better and it seems to have a good track record. I just don't know if that is persuasive enough of a reason though.

So, which would be the better rifle for mostly target work with just a little field shooting to go into it? I plan on getting a .22 version of whatever I end up buying.

Any help to help me make up my mind would be appreciated as I tend to way overthink these types of decisions when I'm looking at getting something expensive.

I have had a Taipan .22 and just got a .22 FX Maverick compact. The taipan is a great gun and shooter, but I like the maverick better. I also had a FX wildcat mk1 that I would pick up before the Taipan. I think it really is just personal preference. The Taipan was heavier and I didn't like the rear cocking lever as much. I would go with a wildcat mk3 or maverick over the Taipan. If you are just wanting to shoot pellets, the Taipan is great. If you are wanting to do more, the wildcat or maverick has more opportunities. 

I have a Veteran Long and really like it. I thought about the Caiman X until I saw the video from AEAC. Not a fan of the regulator on that one. I would like to have a Standard version with a Red stock to match my Long version with a Green stock. I bought the aftermarket cocking lever extension and it helps considerable. The are very accurate and consistent, especially with a Huma reg and power plenum installed. If I bought the standard I would add the Huma reg and power plenum as well. 

Rock solid tac driver. You already made up your mind. Im not a pup guy. But had to see what all the fuss was about. Glad i did!

Resizer_16192349660180.1619235255.jpg

The caiman X sure does look interesting. But being so new, it still has to prove itself in the long term. Airmaks is certainly starting off ahead of the game with CZ barrel and forward reversible cocking. Personally I can get past the looks of the stock, just not a fan. But that's just an opinion.

I have 2 taipans. .25 long and a .22 standard. Both have Lothar walther barrels and both are deadly accurate. In the same day , both guns took out 2 doves each at 120-130 yards. The .22 shooting NSA 17.5 .216 and the. 25 shooting FX 33.95 pellets.

Either gun you choose will be accurate and fun!

20210404_145350.1619236407.jpg

On the other hand, I've got a Caiman, .22, (the short version).

Airmaks Caiman.1619245165.JPG

I'm really happy with it. It shoots well, shoulders like a feather (almost !). The trigger pull is as good as any other bullpup. The mechanical parts of the gun are very solidly made. The cocking is very smooth...AND...it's forward, just above the trigger, where it should be..! They didn't just take a normal rifle and mount it in a bullpup stock like some have, and left the cocking arm in the back in the breech block. The cocking arm can be easily swapped to the left side if you like, which makes the gun very good for both right and left handed shooters. Though I'm right handed, I prefer the handle to be on the free hand side (left). Simple swap. The "fit and finish" is as good as any out there.

And don't worry about the Caiman, Caiman being, new. The guns main designer has worked at other airgun manufacturers, so he's had good experience.

Visually, the Camain, Caiman X also have it over the Taipan design to me. The air pressure gauge is on the side of the gun, so you don't need to look down the barrel. While my "range" is shorter than most, I've seen videos showing the Caiman X hitting some "small" bullseye's at 100 yrds.

Check out some of the videos, here's a good one, by a guy that's tested a lot of guns... https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/airmaks-caiman-x-300-bar-regulated-22-full-review/?view=all#post-982194

Have fun with whichever you end up with.

Mike

Thanks everyone!

Well, after a lot of reading and watching videos, I made up my mind and placed an order. I ordered a .... Taipan Veteran Long in .22 from Talon Tunes!

The Veteran grabbed me as soon as a saw it. I though about others (Caiman X, Urgaran, etc), but the Taipan and its excellent build and trigger won out.

Man am I excited!

Congratulations Sir. Tony set up my trigger, the way he likes it,and I've not touched it, AWESOME!

Let us know when it arrives!