Cabella's Covenant 7, more than I expected.

On a whim, I bought a Covenant 7 on sale at Cabella's recently. With the sale price, the specs to cost are very good. That said, I have experienced "good glass" recently, so i was not anticipating this being any better than mediocre.

I have to say, that my expectations have been exceeded pretty much entirely. No, I don;t rate this as highly as my Meopta, currently the best glass I own, but it is a good deal superior to the Hawke I paid more for, and I also believe it is at least as good if not superior to the Crimson Trace I have. Mine did great with the box test, but more , it just looks and feels right.

I understand that there is a series of Cabelas scopes made by Meopta. (Instinct) Given the price I don't imagine this is true for the Covenant. In fact, it bares no resemblance at all to my Meopta, but again, it is a better scope than I expected. If you can get the sale price, you could do a lot worse while paying more. It's noticeable CA at higher magnification (I have the 5-35X) but dial down to 25x and the CA is really tame. It's still very usable way up there at 35x (this is the only 35x scope I've ever looked through that wasn't junk, so i don't have a great benchmark to put it up against) but at 25X it is as good as anything I've looked through, including my Crimson Trace.

The turrets clicks are a little mushy, not the best, but again, not at all bad either. For the price I am not complaining. It's overall view and eye relief are superb!

Cabela's will farm out their scopes to the lowest bidder. I bought a Covenant 4 a few years ago and it is a great scope. I'm fairly certain it was made by Vortex. Same specs and all. They wont tell you who makes their scopes if you ask. Just like their reels (as well as Bass Pro Shops reels) I have had models that were made by Pinnacle and Daiwa. They farm them out to lowest bidder too.

Yeah the Cov 7’s are the best kept secret in airgun optics IMO! I have them all and the 7 is my fav, wouldn’t put them on a big powder burner or crank on the turrets for every other shot, but the redicle is very hard to beat in this game, the 3-21 is clearer IMO than the 5-35, but the 5-35 won a lot of crap for me back in the day at RMAC, the CXpro is even better, but double the money, but on sale at 250-$300? Crazy worth it if your on a budget, I was thrilled with mine and I payed the full regular $400. Good call!