• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Bystander noise of Taipan Veterans

Hello everyone! I am considering picking up a .22 Taipan Veteran for stealth backyard pesting in a quiet suburban neighborhood. Anyone got a Taipan Vet to sell? PM me ;)

Anyway, my prioritizations are:

1. Silence: in terms of perceived noise as a bystander say 20ft away, followed by
  2. Compactness in terms of overall length (OAL), followed by
  3. Accuracy. This is third because the only factor here is the impact on accuracy of a moderator and because my yard is at most 50yds. But I am firing from my house, so most of my shots will be within 30yds.
    [/LIST=1]

I am attracted to a Compact + moderator but I was told today that a Long (OAL 31.5") would be quieter than a Compact + 7" DFL Koi (OAL 23.6+7.0=30.6") despite having the same OAL. Is this true? 

I have noticed that quite a few Taipan veteran owners have more than one (a great sign!).

Also, I was hoping some of you would take a stab at ordering the following combinations in terms of noise perceived by by-standers (not the shooter) with 1 being (relatively) quietest and 8 being (relatively) loudest? I have included M-rods as a point of reference for myself.

.22 Taipan Veteran Standard

.22 Taipan Veteran Long

.22 Taipan Veteran Compact

.22 Benjamin Marauder semi-auto

.22 Benjamin Marauder bolt-action

.22 Taipan Veteran Standard + mod

.22 Taipan Veteran Long + mod

.22 Taipan Veteran Compact + mod

Thank you all so much! I love this community!!!

@ichinichi - I have two of them - a .22 long and a .177 standard. Neither has a moderator and neither of them need one. I have my .177 "de-tuned" down to a "British" sub-12 ( lol ) power level and it see's a lot of action inside of barns shooting AA 10.3's at around 710-720 fps. It's ridiculously quiet, and being that the power is so low, I'm getting a really high shot count out of it to boot. :) If all your going to use it for is 30-40 yards in the back yard - I'd say a standard in .177 would fit the bill.

Reactions: Skydivingmiami
I have a .25 standard. Tuned to shoot34gr jsb's at 880fps, it doesn't need its Donny in town. Now if you have dialed it all out to the max, it gets louder. I would say that if you can resist the urge to drop a v8 in it just for shooting inside 50 yds, you will love the noise level. Before you go buying compact, try to handle one of these bullpups. The shorter the barrel the less efficient and more loud they are, all from a gun that feels almsot identical to me. Good luck

I have a .22 Standard that I shoot Hades at 870 and JSB 18.1s at 890. I use an additional moderator because I have it, but the rifle doesn’t really need it. It’s very quiet at the lower power settings especially. For comparison my Marauder with an STO moderator is louder than the Veteran without one as perceived by a shooting buddy standing about 10 yards beside the rifles.

Several here love their Compacts, I would get a Long if I were to do it over. I either shoot targets off a bench at 30 and 60 yards or I shoot backyard pests at 40 and below.

I have a .22 Standard that I shoot Hades at 870 and JSB 18.1s at 890. I use an additional moderator because I have it, but the rifle doesn’t really need it. It’s very quiet at the lower power settings especially. For comparison my Marauder with an STO moderator is louder than the Veteran without one as perceived by a shooting buddy standing about 10 yards beside the rifles.

Several here love their Compacts, I would get a Long if I were to do it over. I either shoot targets off a bench at 30 and 60 yards or I shoot backyard pests at 40 and below.

Thank you, @av8r. Does the moderator on your veteran make a difference to your shooting buddy at 10 yards? I completely understand why a moderator wont make a diff to the shooter given the bullpup platform.

Any way you could share how much louder the Marauder+STO is vs the Veteran without a moderator? Both .22 cal, I presume?

Why would you go Long vs Standard if you were to do it all over again?

I have both the shorty and the long versions. Now a key componenet to your noise demand is the vets can be powered down which makes them extremely quiet with a mod. I personally use hugget standards . I have 25 cal , but I figure 22 cal is even quieter. to give you the best compactness to quietness ratio go with the standard length model. put a mod on it , you will need adapter from donnyfl as well as speed HS adjuster . this is the quietest outfit I ever shot. The thing is , the longer barrel can achieve equal power at a lower setting making it quieter. Now a taipan is already on the quiet side of most air guns , but the additional mod will lower it as far as it can be. Experiment with different power settings and you will see the difference in sound and you can go from there.

Yes, the Vet is definitely quieter with both the factory moderator and the STO than it is with either one alone. The shooter also notices the difference. When I am shooting targets I shoot into a Champion steel trap and the impact of the pellet in the trap is louder than the rifle noise.

Complete guessing, but I think it’s because the technologies are different and their effect is additive. The factory moderator has 3 K-baffles and a pretty large expansion chamber, and I perceive the sound of the shot almost as a hiss on top of the hammer strike sound. The STO moderator uses what it calls Edison cell dampening combined with a deadening material wrap. Used alone, I perceive the shot sound to be a reduced “smack” like a pellet hitting a rabbit, but it is different than the factory mod. Used together, the “smack” and the “hiss” are both gone, leaving the sound of the hammer striking the valve. A couple of the Veteran wizards have put a PEEK striker on the face of the hammer to quiet the impact.

I like the bullpup platform but don’t need the shortness of the Compact, whereas the Long has a longer barrel and a larger air capacity, so in essence I gave up that extra capacity for a smaller size I don’t need.

There are also some comments in the forum about CZ and LW barrels and which comes on which platform, and it is my perception that the owners of the Long version are happier with their accuracy, but I can’t really substantiate that. As I recall Motorhead, one of the greats, says his Compact easily shoots 1/2” groups at 50 yards.

Alan, with all respect, I believe you might be overthinking this a bit. Any Veteran, of any length in .22 will be yard friendly. The shorter guns are more challenging to shoot well, but all are sufficiently accurate and quiet. Sound is a very subjective thing, and I don't think you can be well informed by putting out an internet survey. It's a great rifle, buy and enjoy.

Alan, with all respect, I believe you might be overthinking this a bit. Any Veteran, of any length in .22 will be yard friendly. The shorter guns are more challenging to shoot well, but all are sufficiently accurate and quiet. Sound is a very subjective thing, and I don't think you can be well informed by putting out an internet survey. It's a great rifle, buy and enjoy.

Agreed Overthinking 10000%. I was in the same boat as you many moons ago.. now I look back and I made the right decision with my choices. There is a ton of great info in this thread and on the board! Not much negative feedback from this brand.

Why don't we make life easier .. Get the standard, best of both worlds. that's what I did

Plus.. if you don't like the airgun and its not the right choice for your backyard, someone will buy it from you in the marketplace guaranteed. These guns have a big following!

A few years ago I wanted to buy a vet. At that time I was thinking I wanted a 22 long. None were available then. So I went another direction. a year later I thought about a vet again. I was over thinking it also and put it off. I finally bought a 22 standard and it is the best purchase I have made on an air gun. I am shooting 18.13 @ 910. For me at that power I chose to use the Huggett Atom and it is super quiet. If I shoot steel you hear the pellet strike but if I shoot my cardboard / rubber trap even others don't hear a thing. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a standard. Plenty of power and it is accurate. It's a nice compact rifle.

IMG_20211205_150913.1640918503.jpg
I have a .22 Long and it's amazingly quiet. Just for kicks, I put a DonnyFL Tanto on it; the report was reduced to a whisper. The Vet Long is quite compact as well. Did I mention it's an absolute laser shooting JSB 18.1 gr @ 935?

Get one:. You won't regret it!