• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Bystander noise of Taipan Veterans

Own a Short, and a Long, both originally in .22. 

The Short:

Running at just under 20fpe, in .22 or .20, is quiet enough that I've had multiple people comment on how quiet it is while I'm shooting at FT and silhouette matches. Very little sound from the gun at this power level and below. As has been stated, pellet hitting it's target will be louder. 

Maxing the Short out at about 33fpe with the .22 barrel makes it louder than most back yards can handle. 

Running the Short with the .20 barrel (bout 4 inches longer than the OEM Short barrel) at around 29fpe makes it backyard friendly, but noticeably louder than when at only 20fpe. 

I had a donnyfl adaptor to be able to screw in a moderator on the end of the factory shroud. Note, HAD (I put it up for sale less than a few hours after receiving it as I didn't like the increased length and the gun was already plenty quiet for me.) 

The Long:

Always around 41-44fpe. Backyard friendly in report, but not in power output. 

Conclusion

In my opinion, the only reason to put a moderator on a Veteran is because you like the aesthetics. If you're running a Short at it's max power output you could potentially need a moderator, but likely shouldn't be shooting in the average backyard anyway. Something around 20fpe and below is more appropriate for the typical american/suburban back yard, and at 20fpe, any of the three lengths of Veteran should be mighty quiet. Ans if you've got the 25-30 yard max depth yard with somebody else's back yard on the other side of the fence like MANY backyards in cookie cutter neighborhoods all over the country, you probably should try to keep it under 12fpe, and then a Vet is going to be REALLY quiet (and you'll need a dependable and quiet pellet trap of some sort. And really cool neighbors, cuz they'll figure out what you're up to whether looking through a knothole in the fence or over the fence, etc.). 

I took the additional silencer off of my .22 Standard today. The difference in sound is negligible, it's not needed.

Wow! Amazing thank you for taking the time.

Does a bystander 10yds away agree? Or if you have a buddy discharge it with and without and you stand 10yds away, do you really not hear a difference?

Again Alan, maybe the overthinking thing? But to answer, no, I haven't solicited anyone to "come listen to my rifle". IMO the important thing, it doesn't make any practical difference. 

I took the additional silencer off of my .22 Standard today. The difference in sound is negligible, it's not needed.

Does a bystander 10yds away agree? Or if you have a buddy discharge it with and without and you stand 10yds away, do you really not hear a difference?

Again Alan, maybe the overthinking thing? But to answer, no, I haven't solicited anyone to "come listen to my rifle". IMO the important thing, it doesn't make any practical difference.

Thank you for the datapoint. Seems like for my use, standard or long will work.

Own a Short, and a Long, both originally in .22. 

The Short:

Running at just under 20fpe, in .22 or .20, is quiet enough that I've had multiple people comment on how quiet it is while I'm shooting at FT and silhouette matches. Very little sound from the gun at this power level and below. As has been stated, pellet hitting it's target will be louder. 

Maxing the Short out at about 33fpe with the .22 barrel makes it louder than most back yards can handle. 

Running the Short with the .20 barrel (bout 4 inches longer than the OEM Short barrel) at around 29fpe makes it backyard friendly, but noticeably louder than when at only 20fpe. 

I had a donnyfl adaptor to be able to screw in a moderator on the end of the factory shroud. Note, HAD (I put it up for sale less than a few hours after receiving it as I didn't like the increased length and the gun was already plenty quiet for me.) 

The Long:

Always around 41-44fpe. Backyard friendly in report, but not in power output. 

Conclusion

In my opinion, the only reason to put a moderator on a Veteran is because you like the aesthetics. If you're running a Short at it's max power output you could potentially need a moderator, but likely shouldn't be shooting in the average backyard anyway. Something around 20fpe and below is more appropriate for the typical american/suburban back yard, and at 20fpe, any of the three lengths of Veteran should be mighty quiet. Ans if you've got the 25-30 yard max depth yard with somebody else's back yard on the other side of the fence like MANY backyards in cookie cutter neighborhoods all over the country, you probably should try to keep it under 12fpe, and then a Vet is going to be REALLY quiet (and you'll need a dependable and quiet pellet trap of some sort. And really cool neighbors, cuz they'll figure out what you're up to whether looking through a knothole in the fence or over the fence, etc.). 

Thank you. I think you're right. Seems like any length would work. I am thinking standard or long.

I added the plenum for slinging heavy weight projectiles at lower reg pressures. I have been meaning to tune it up a little to try out heavy slugs, but haven't had the chance yet. For now it is set up to push .22 34gr beast pellets. My pest vary from your average squirrel to possums and raccoons if they get destructive in the yard. The heavy pellet has amazing knockdown and everything drops on the spot. Also I choose .22 because it is the most affordable caliber with the largest selection of ammo types.

I have the Taipan Vet Long Power Plen, rolling with JSB .22 34gr beast @870 fps to control the pest in my back yard. Headshots all day long. I have the Donny Koi attached (already owned the Koi), but it does NOT need it. The head cracking is louder than the shot.

What does the power plenum do for you?

The power plenum will only exacerbate your issue for minimum sound. It helps with heavier pellets and/or higher velocity.

Late reply but I wanted to comment about shooting from the house which you mentioned in your first post. I shoot pests out of two different casement windows with a Leshiy Classic. I have done so with anything from the most compact 250mm barrel setup all the way up to the 350mm barrel with the Akula moderator that adds another 2" or so.

I barely crank open the windows as to not startle the pests and I prefer the longer setups so I know the end of the rifle is extended past the window while retaining a comfortable shooting position. Out of a single or double hung window or even a door I don't think it would matter as much. 

I have never shot a Taipan or any bullpup for that matter but if I had one I'm sure I'd prefer a longer setup for shooting out of my windows. Since I'm a hiker I'd probably prefer the compact and have a long moderator screwed on while at home, assuming it didn't alter the point of impact too much compared to with no moderator. 

Late reply but I wanted to comment about shooting from the house which you mentioned in your first post. I shoot pests out of two different casement windows with a Leshiy Classic. I have done so with anything from the most compact 250mm barrel setup all the way up to the 350mm barrel with the Akula moderator that adds another 2" or so.

I barely crank open the windows as to not startle the pests and I prefer the longer setups so I know the end of the rifle is extended past the window while retaining a comfortable shooting position. Out of a single or double hung window or even a door I don't think it would matter as much. 

I have never shot a Taipan or any bullpup for that matter but if I had one I'm sure I'd prefer a longer setup for shooting out of my windows. Since I'm a hiker I'd probably prefer the compact and have a long moderator screwed on while at home, assuming it didn't alter the point of impact too much compared to with no moderator.

I'm more bothered by how unwieldy a 43" (1092mm) overall length rifle with a 20" (508mm) barrel has been running window to window inside of the house. And then I tried adding a DFL Sumo (+6.5"; +165mm) on top of that. Yikes. Like maneuvering a 2x4; had to "hook" it through doorways and stuff.