Buying used?

Interesting topic. It will delve into issues of trust, warranty, etc…

I’ve had good luck buying both used and new. I’m a little different because my going in position is that I am going to fix (and learn to fix) any issues myself. I don’t expect to ever send in a rifle for warranty repair… unless its new out-of-the-box and isn’t working… and then its just an exchange.

Whether its cars, photography, computers, phones or airguns… there are always those folks that love to have the “latest and greatest“. They don’t mind taking a ” loss” on their new purchase, as they look on it as a ”rental fee” - they knew they would sell it when a newer option came along…

… so that’s where you can get some nice deals on “used” airguns. Some are very lightly used… not even “leaded in”, lol.

IMHO, learning to fix issues has additional benefit, it deepens your understanding of how the rifle functions - which you can use to help maximize the performance that you can obtain from the rifle.

Its like that Tom Cruise NASCAR movie - he was a driver (shooter) who didn’t have an understanding of how a car was setup and functioned. He had great natural skills as a driver (shooter), but once he started to understand how setup of the car (rifle) interacted with his performance as a driver (shooter), he was able to perform at a higher level.

Just using this analogy to say whether its new or used, don’t be afraid to dig in. Once you do, the line between “new” and “used” doesn’t seem as great…

-Ed

I mostly buy used. Doing your research on the seller is key, feedback if they have any, how active they are in the forum, etc. As someone that sells/trades a lot on here, I try to be very descriptive and lots of pictures. I’m always willing to talk to anyone through text or phone calls, answer any questions they have, take any additional pictures they want, etc. I always leave feedback for everyone I do business with and like them to do the same for me, it helps people know that the individual is trustworthy

Great topic! Throughout the years, I’ve noticed that this hobby, in particular, draws in a different crowd. My theory is that since Airguns, traditionally, have been lower powered, more about finesse and tinkering to get a perfect balance/harmony of power and accuracy (and beauty), the folks interested tended to be of a more tame, less aggressive, and overall friendlier demeanor. And because of this, I feel as though the majority of the enthusiasts on this forum tend to be more trustworthy than folks I’ve come across in my other hobbies.

I’ve been extremely fortunate and have had great experiences dealing with folks in the handful of purchases and one or two sales that I’ve made here on AGN.

P.S. like others have mentioned, still take the time to vet out the folks you’re dealing with. Been seeing a lot of accounts trying to rush through their 10 posts to join in on our classifieds & it’s concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: MysticalDragon
the fact is you can't buy old guns that are not used
but is there bad with the good, hell yes, but that is the way it is
if you do not have the skills to work on the used gun that you are looking at and wondering about, is it okay, move on
if you see something that is well known by you at a great price but unknown guts, as many do buy it
there are deals and steals for us that repair guns as part of this hobby, it is not all about shooting at least for me
but to each his own, but for me the hunt continues.