• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying "Used"

Like ghoststalker states. Buying used is kind of like a crap shoot but you get lucky more often than not. Gunbroker seems to be a hot spot for scammers not that we do not have our own list, now in the mid thirties, of them. Add to that that some do evil things to their guns or misrepresent them so things can get dicey. Still If you use PayPal correctly it can be a blessing to both seller and buyer and give one a little sense of safety anyway. Pictures with current dates and phone calls help as well.

I have purchased several guns off off the forums and only one was misrepresented and broken. I had worse luck sending guns out for upgrades or repairs lost two that way, a Webley Hurricane and a Crosman 600, even though the person I sent them to was well known and seemed safe at the time.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Yeah, I'm hesitant in buying used but the guns I want aren't currently available, so ....
I was also looking at the Crosman 600. Seems like a cool gun but due to it's age, I know I'm probably in for a complete rebuild. I looked at a few YouTube videos to see how it breaks down and was pretty intimidated. lol

Thanks again for the responses!

Like ghoststalker states. Buying used is kind of like a crap shoot but you get lucky more often than not. Gunbroker seems to be a hot spot for scammers not that we do not have our own list, now in the mid thirties, of them. Add to that that some do evil things to their guns or misrepresent them so things can get dicey.  Still If you use PayPal correctly it can be a blessing to both seller and buyer and give one a little sense of safety anyway. Pictures with current dates and phone calls help as well.

I have purchased several guns off off the forums and only one was misrepresented and broken. I had worse luck sending guns out for upgrades or repairs lost two that way, a Webley Hurricane and a Crosman 600, even though the person I sent them to was well known and seemed safe at the time.

Apparently not true any longer according to another current running thread. Air guns are considered firearms by PayPal now and not covered.

NOTHING can protect you from getting ripped off even if the seller has good references no matter how you pay and pray PayPal through your credit card can give you buyers protection refund recourse which isn't guaranteed unless you stop paying that card cut it up toss it in the trash and ruin your own credit.

It will help to get the sellers physical family home address in case you have friends in the Mafia. FACT all it takes is one phone call any state in the US because they are everywhere.

You of course give the seller a reasonable amount of time before making a call that will potentially affect his loved ones to make a point he did this to them.

Get the sellers physical home address and landline and check online to verify before paying. Phone call TO the seller to his landline is a common sense automatic no brainer since it already matched your online search with address before sending a complete stranger any money.

I have FIRST HAND PROOF OF THE MAFIA. Someone really close to me was robbed a large sum of cash. The police couldn't locate the perp who had already been identified via photo lineup for a week then a call to the Mafia was made to find the money. The guy ended dying of natural causes within one month later. If it were me the perp would be sure to live a long life and his loved ones would be taken cared of but not killed with a point he was responsible for it.

Get the sellers physical home address and landline and check online to verify before paying. Phone call TO the seller to his landline is a common sense automatic no brainer since it already matched your online search with address before sending a complete stranger any money.

I have FIRST HAND PROOF OF THE MAFIA. Someone really close to me was robbed a large sum of cash. The police couldn't locate the perp who had already been identified via photo lineup for a week then a call to the Mafia was made to find the money. The guy ended dying of natural causes within one month later. If it were me the perp would be sure to live a long life and his loved ones would be taken cared of but not killed with a point he was responsible for it.

+1

If there not willing to give you that basic information run.

It's easy to get anyone verified, with a name, address , landline

You do realize not many people still have a landline.

https://www.statista.com/chart/2072/landline-phones-in-the-united-states/

That's why to this day the only used gun I ever bought was a Webley Tempest. Did I over pay? Yes because it was no longer available. Why anyone would ever buy a used airgun, something that guys just cant keep their fingers out of in the quest for more power, and pay close to new prices is totally beyond me. The classified section is my source for amusement. How much would I sell my Taipan with a CZ barrel for? A grand, because that's the max I would pay for it if I was desperate.

I’ve been lucky buying used. Of the three guns I bought used, two of the sellers we remain good friends long after the sale. One of them was trusting of me enough to hold onto his gun to give me time to sell off some stuff in order to purchase it. I gave him my word, which truly is all one has in these situations. It’s FfNn sad that a few chosen nimrods have ruined things for guys that are good for their word, and follow the golden rule. 

I “met” a guy recently thru a pm who bought a gun off of a member that was just a piece of chit in my eyes. He was venting to me, asking my opinion on the gun and what it was doing.

Things weren’t disclosed properly, and what’s funny is I contacted the seller on this same gun asking about the tune he had before he even put it up for sale, and the FPS he told me it was getting wasn’t anything close to what the buyer was getting on his chronograph. From the sounds of things, the seller didn’t know what he was doing in modifications to the gun(rookie) and he off’d that gun to leave the problems with someone else. Then of course came the “it was working perfect when I had it”

I understand used is used, and if there’s something wrong with the gun, adjust the price to reflect that, and disclose it. And please, don’t play dumb like “it wasn’t doing that when I had it” cause that just makes you look not just like a piece of chit for getting one over on someone, but a stupid piece of chit, for thinking someone’s gonna fall for that. 

Captain America hated bully’s, and well, I despise lying thieves. 

I made a statement on an archery forum about used bows and I will make it here. If you have to have top dollar for your used stuff, maybe you are in over your head with this hobby. The unique thing about this hobby is availability, that's where a seller can have a buyer over a barrel. When I sold my first 3 month old Impact, I told the guy to make me an offer, he said $1,800. I said you're joking right. He said he cant find one anywhere and he wants one now. I was hoping for $1,500. My buddy said I guess you can buy a gun, shoot the crap out of it and sell it for almost no loss. Interesting hobby.

Seems as though the ones I’ve looked at are asking 200-300 less then I can buy brand new. These are two and three year old guns, I think I will go for new, unless they lower the price.

Some people are very unrealistic in their expectations that people will pay near new price for a used gun (even in excellent condition) when it has already been replaced by one or two generations of newer models. They are not collectibles from a value increasing perspective and 98% of the time you will lose money. 

The general guideline of 60-80% of new works, but supply and demand play into the used market as well. A newer model gun may get near new price if there is no supply and a very high demand (ie: Impact X II - they're selling used with pretty high value).

There are few sure things, but I think it's a good practice to always talk to the seller. A phone conversation is no guarantee of honesty, but it usually offers a much better idea of the seller and his merchandise. I have also asked for a photo ID, usually driver's license. I had one fellow who wanted me to send payment to a different name and address, since he was trying to keep his gun dealing from his wife's knowledge. It was probably true, but I told him I needed to think about it, and I didn't call him back.

I'm setting here wondering. I've read recently on one of the forums, That paypal will not honor "recorse "action for fire arms.They will pay to start with because they want your fees. The forum members were saying that paypal makes thier own rules and no firearms is one of them. They were discussing about one of the members and how he got burnt. I 'm pretty sure they are foreign but I was under the impression that even so, they still have to abide by the laws of the counrty they are doing business in.Person might want to check into this before you need it.By the way I know our feds say that our bb guns are not firearms. ,but that's beside the point , as I mentioned.