• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying, Selling, Shipping Airguns, Getting Scammed and In Praise of FEDEX

I feel it is necessary to tell this story, both to show my ignorance ( who knows why I think that's necessary) and maybe, to help others who may get caught in the same scenario.
Recently I sold my Air Arms HFT500 online. I sold it for a very reasonable $1050 price, plus shipping. When the cashier's check arrived it was for $2980, whoa! horse!, what's happening here. I messaged the seller and he ended up calling, seemed incredibly surprised that something had gone wrong at his bank. After he checked it out, he told me that his bank was supposed to cut and mail two seperate checks, one to me for the gun and another to a wedding planner in Florida. So commenced the discussion of how I would return the extra money. He came up with some pretty iffy ideas, venmo, cashapp, money orders, etc, none of which I was comfortable with. After some back and forth, I searched online how to verify a cashier's check and the very first line of every page I looked at was to call the issuing bank. So I called and was informed they did not verify checks of any kind over the phone? What, they can't even tell you if THEIR check is good? There were no local branches in my area of the country. So, I then took the check to my bank, where they know me and I've banked for many years, and was told, "it looks ok to me" by the several tellers working that day. Now here is where I made my mistake. After the tacit approval of the check I'm thinking even though this guy seems anxious to get his money on the way to Florida (he was in Arizona), since the check looked legit, I would send his money on to Florida. So I purchased a cashier's check made out to the planner in FL. and fedexed it to him. That was on Thursday, and on Monday, the bank called to say the cashier's check was altered, and bogus. When I went to the bank, we looked at copies of the check and it looked perfect, in every detail, at which point the bank said it could still be legit? Anyway, I know what's happening, I'm out my money for the cashier's check and I've lost the gun. What's weird is the guy keeps answering my text and calls claiming to be honest. When I demanded the gun back he said he would ship it back and gave me a different phone number to call, to which I never got an answer. I call fedex to head off the two packages, the gun and the check, to which I find the check still in transit, but the gun delivered in AZ, the fastest delivery across country ever.
Now the story get's weirder, if possible. I call fedex and they inform me that the check has been intercepted by fedex security and is being held in Mississippi at their security division and will ONLY be returned to me once the investigation is finished. How on earth did they know to intercept this check when it obviously happened long before any of my calls? After two or three calls to fedex, I learned all the dates and times and the exact person who worked for fedex who received the check in their security division. After a couple weeks the check arrived and I was able to salvage the roughly $2000 of the nearly $3000 I was out. WAY TO GO FEDEX!!
The story doesn't end there. I just wrote off the gun, thinking I would never see it again. Time passes, probably three more weeks, and I'm having coffee one morning and the doorbell rings. There's the fedex guy with the unopened package with the gun in it. SOMEHOW fedex was also able to intercept the gun too. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? So, now I'm whole again and will never accept a cashier's check again.
After much discussion with the bank, fedex and others, here's what we've come up with as a scenario of what happened. A guy in AZ scouts out a house who's front porch is secluded form houses around it. Looks up the owner's name and uses that to ship the gun to, knowing he can track it, and know the delivery date and steal it off the porch. Walla! gun in hand, no one the wiser. Same thing with his accomplice in FL, check is delivered to a legitimate house and stolen off the porch. The only rub is that the check package probably required a signature, not sure what happened at this point, but somehow, some way, fedex picked up on the scam, and kept the package. When I started calling, and they realized the package to AZ was also involved, they either intercepted it too, or it is possible, the thieves were unable to grab the package before the homeowner got it and kept it, until he could have fedex return it. No matter how it shakes out, it's a miracle of good work by fedx.

I can't say enough good things about how FEDEX handled this mess for me, and how helpful and reassuring every single person I talked to at FEDEX was, making sure I understood they had this in hand and that it may take some time, but they were doing all they could to rectify the situation. It seems all we do is gripe about delivery companies, but I must say, this is way beyond the call of duty and simply amazing work on the part of FEDEX. I know for sure they intercepted the check long before I ever knew the scam was unfolding. The package with the rifle, I'm not sure if they intercepted it or the homeowner called them and asked that it be returned as he/she did not order it. From all the markings on the package, it seems more likely that FEDEX intercepted it, but I can't be sure. The folks at FEDEX are all in my prayers, and I'm so grateful of how they handled their jobs, it's so good in this day and age to see people who care and care enough to do everything in their power to make things right.

Until I can find a way to thank them, I salute them for their fine work!!!

Shipped 2 rifles from a UPS store from Fla. to WA (from myself to myself) 1 showed up. Called UPS corp. & followed up, ended up with the Eastern regional fraud manager. Need to prove everything, naturally and in 7 day's short of 6 (LOL ) month's had a refund for the retail price - had to prove that simply by showing them PA's current price- the rifle. 1 (one) week after they paid for it someone left That stolen airgun unboxed on our old porch in Fla. (very odd). They were scared to find a "rifle" sitting in thier porch and called the Sheriff who contacted family who contacted me who contacted the fraud investigator explaining. NO idea how it got there but, they had arrested the UPS store owner and his brother 500 miles away for a HUGE scam (mostly jewelry). The owner looked for likely good boxes to steal and relabeled them to his brother while somehow still showing them shipped to the correct address. Fraud investigator said "well it is your" but NO I cashed the check. NO no no. IF it was found it was mine again check or not. A huge pain ( at least it was not a sale tho) but they did honor thier end.
Now if I had said "hole puncher" or such NO insurance but happy happy in the end and UPS did fully prosecute theirstore owner and made me more than whole in my opinion it should have been there property.

John

He means that Paypal payments sent as "payment for goods and services" are guaranteed and if you get scammed you get your money back from Paypal. It is, (as far as I am aware of) the only way to send money that is safe. I checked on venmo, cashapp and zelle and once the money is sent, it's gone. They are just like sending cash.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is that you CANNOT stop payment on a cashier's check. The Fed government in their infinite wisdom doesn't allow it. So there is NO reason to ever go get a cashier's check because the buyer would still need to deposit it and wait for it to clear before sending out anything they sell. You might as well take a personal check, same difference, and with banks unwilling to verify their own checks, they're no better than personal checks. Plus, you CAN cancel payment on a personal check if you desire.
I was kind of miffed at my bank, because I know there's got to be a way of banks verifying other banks checks, they just didn't want to take the time to do it. Just one more non service banks do for us. I guarantee if my bank had called the issuing bank, they could have gotten confirmation one way or the other. I bet if I was paying the money to my bank, they would have checked it before taking it for anything.

Reactions: .20calguy
sadly, this is why I hate selling online. even with paypal I've been screwed. one time I sold some car parts and after the guy received them, he put in a complaint that he didn't also receive everything else needed to install the parts. lost the parts and the money.
one thing I have learned is the majority of scams come from the west coast, cali. and wash. seem to be the 2 main states so be extra careful if you see sellers or buyers from these areas. also, USPS money orders have been counterfeited for a while now, but I believe they can be verified. glad it worked out for the OP, sucks that we have to do a full homeland security check to sell or buy something lol.

They are relentless. i'm only selling on this forum to people with credibility.

Can you expound a little on this? I was thinking USPS money order was the way to go?
Pp merchant and services will 100% stand behind you if you maintain proper evidence. This is for both buyer and sell, proper documentation, conversations, hell I even record myself packing or opening packages just to be safe. I have had a dispute where a packaged was damaged while shipping and had to fight the shipping agency, paypal helped both return the money to the buyer, let me keep my money, and I was able to send them the insurance return when it came in.

I'm sure I'll be the contrary on this, but I believe the best way to sell online is with personal checks! The seller holds the item until he has collected funds in his account, then ships to the buyer. The name and address on the check should match the information previously given. Nothing is foolproof, but I've never had a problem. I never involve a third party in a transaction.

I'm sure I'll be the contrary on this, but I believe the best way to sell online is with personal checks! The seller holds the item until he has collected funds in his account, then ships to the buyer. The name and address on the check should match the information previously given. Nothing is foolproof, but I've never had a problem. I never involve a third party in a transaction.
I've taken personal checks, cashier's and postal money orders. In the case of any type of check, nothing ships until funds are truly in my bank. You can't be cheated that way. If the post office doesn't have the cash on hand to cash a money order, it gets deposited and nothing ships until the bank confirms funds. My bank never confirms in less than 5 business days not including the day of deposit. Strangely, at least the one time I tried at one post office, the post office cannot confirm a postal money order is real until they cash it out. Maybe the people at that post office just didn't know how, just seems strange they cannot confirm if it is real when they are short of funds to cash it out.

Reactions: PBuffa
Can you expound a little on this? I was thinking USPS money order was the way to go?
USPS is the same as cash, both party's know they won't be screwed, well sort of you can still be buying someone's garbage so PP takes care of that detail to a degree. I purchased a Maverick from a member here who'd gotten it from another member. It was messed up badly, someone had fired the gun with the cocking handle back A LOT!!!! Actually broke off a chunk inside the block, as I found out when I replaced the block and looked inside after disassembly.

On Gunbroker, I generally avoid auctions that do not take credit cards. Only other places I have bought used air rifles was from Baker Airguns and American Airguns Classifieds. There are several sellers on those Classifieds that are well known and I did buy a gun from one. One trick I learned from others on a gun or other small merchandise purchase is to get the seller to take several pictures with the gun like with his drivers license, a bill with his address and/or maybe something common like car keys. I guess on the reverse side for personal checks, have him send pictures of his drivers license and a bill. Personal check address should match the address on those 2 pictures. Of course I agree with waiting 10 days and then verify funds in your account before shipping. On USPS money order, the Post Office did verify it for me plus I cashed it. May be able to do this online. Not sure how to verify a Cashier Check. I think on firearms and other prohibitive mechandise, Paypal does not guarantee the transaction but not sure.

Last edited: