Buying guns from user classifieds

Just wondering if anyone has had problems with scams from the user classifieds. See some good deals from time to time that maybe seem to be a little too good to be true. So Im wondering how other transactions have went for you on here. Is there a way to protect your money to make sure you get your item first or is it kinda just a crap shoot and you hope that you are dealing with some one honest. 

Not from this forum but I have purchased over 200 airguns used off the internet and only ever one problem ( and that was a deal that involved custom work not a normal dealing).

TALK to them, dont want to talk any/everything airgun, no deal.
I like people who have had the same email for years and years and who are easily looked up Via that method. Surf around & read there posts, should help you size then up.
Ask any every question you need, where purchase, when,.... goes with TALK to the person.
Some say "Pay-Pal" but pay-pal is anti-gun ( did ban airgun dealers once upon a time) and offers protection ONLY for the buyer.
U.U. Postal Money Order is the old time airgun standard. Post Office can verify AND cash it is a split second.

Sticking to this forum for buying ( sees you mentioned that) could be a good idea. 
There is a minimum post count - might help some- to post sales ads.
The forum has the IP numbers of every ad and does try to look for??? BUT you are the responsinble party if anything goes wrong.
There is a sellers feed back section here, use it. ( personally I dont like a refference from billydude1 regarding widemac so I always list my name in any refference and at least you can PM widemac or billydude and see if the ref. is real.
Most folks have been into airguns a while. Were you to ask me about an airgun I can talk for hours, seems the norm.

So talk, verify , you SHOULD feel very good about the deal, or, you should run.

Just use common sincse the used market is THE place to shop. 

John

need a .177 pre-charged ? I'll make you an honest to goodness almost too good ( but real ! ) deal. You can find deals safely.

When I was wanting to get into air rifles early last year and I figured out what guns I was interested in I started looking at classifieds for used guns. Not knowing if I'd like messing with them or not I thought used would be a good way to start. It seemed every time I found a fair deal something was just wrong and things didn't add up. One guy started pressing me to send money western union right after the first e mail so I backed out. The second was only one hour from me but wasn't willing to meet me in his hometown to look at the rifle, said someone tried to beat him up and take it from him the last time he met anyone. I even offered to meet him in the parking lot at the police station with cash so he'd know I was on the up and up. Still no, so I backed away.
In the end I just bought new instead of losing my money and having to buy new anyway. It seems on several classifieds most guys use g mail or hotmail accounts instead of a normal carrier, both guys in the above example did. I'm looking for something now that tickles my fancy but I won't consider buying from folks that only g mail accounts or who refuse to post their name and phone number. 

Take this with as many grains of salt as you feel is appropriate because I'm pretty new here. The majority of my gear was purchased used from the classifieds here, and every single transaction went down like clockwork. I've paid by PP adding the 3% for the protection it offers, and every person I've dealt with has communicated with me in a clear and timely manner. I've never been stiffed by a fellow shooter, but I do follow a 'trust but verify' philosophy. Do your research, be very clear about what you want, and don't hesitate to ask questions. And trust your instincts.

Then again, I've never gone in for the 'too good to be true' deals that do show up occasionally. 

I agree with the use of PayPal and pay the 3% I’ve only had a couple of transactions from this site with no problems. I would also recommend talking to the individual and I also like to to a call cell to cell where I see the person I’m dealing with and have them show me the merchandise live during the call. I would be easier on the sellers who I have come to know over the last year. 

Right the seller takes the chance on paypal , it has happen that someone said they DID receive the package but it had a brick in it period. One picture of a brick and a well known airgunner was out an airgun and money when paypal refunded the money to the scammer.

U.S.Postal money orders are the safest and fastest ( do checks ever clear??? 10 day's? More?) .

Mainly if anything feels at all odd, walk away.

John

I'll weigh in here...

Over 35yrs experience selling and buying on these classifieds...

U S Postal Money Orders...and phone calls...in 60seconds of phone conversation you will know what you're dealing with...most gun guys are honest and go out of their way to portray the item as it actually is....and when buying, low balling an already deep discount deal only pisses off the seller...who most likely is taking a loss....
wiring money anywhere is a red flag...

Just took a look at AA ( 7:27pm here ) and spotted 34 ads from people I personally know to be up and up airgunners on the first page, even at least one cross listing, I have an ad on the first page.
One thing I like is people who ( use their real names on forums ) have had the same email for years of airgun activity, people with accounts you cant find 1 post anywhere one, run.
I spent 1 minute on google looing at one ad ( 1st page) that was price3d to low, NO email related posting anywhere, and it seems a gmail account from Finland, might skip that one. Now thhat was 1 minute "research" from someone who know's nothing about internet research.

Just take responsibility for your dealings, due diligence and all that and enjoy.buying used, and their are a good number of other internet places to buy used airguns - and be careful there and here also-. I sold an item today to a person I've not heard of before and I am going to Mail it out before payment arrives because I feel comfortable with all the arrangements we both made, a smooth easy deal I am confident. And if I wasnt feeling 100% about someone "I" likely wouldn't even sell to them. Too many hassles.

Boycott all used airguns! Keeps the price down for the rest of us.

John