• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying FX Impact ?’s before buying

I’ve had several impact but I’ve sold them all about 3 years ago. I’m looking to get back into PCP’s, I like what’s going on with the slugs. I’ve got a Vudoo 22lr and I love it but just got to see what these new guns can do. Are they comparable to 22lr in accuracy? Not worried about matching power just accuracy.

If I buy an impact I’m really liking the compact look. I’ve been reading the compact is a lot harder to tune. I don’t like the 800mm barrel it just looks goofy but I’m okay with the 700mm barrel.

Would I be more happy with the 700mm over the compact?

I just want something that’s gonna shoot really well. MOA at 100

Am I expecting too much out of these guns. My Vudoo is a really great shooter am I gonna be disappointed if I compare an impact to a Vudoo strictly in accuracy alone.

If you all have group pics pls I’d love to see what you all are able to achieve. Thanks for your time. Look forward to hearing some feedback.

If you want to shoot slugs, for my money, 600mm is minimum. Compacts can shoot them but you will be well advised to stick with light for caliber weights.
My M3 is a 600mm and the bull pup configuration makes it pretty short. I have been tinkering with changing to a 700mm but am happy with what I have and changing is just an excuse to blow more money on air guns. Is that a bad thing?
I have never owned a true high end 22 so cannot speak to them, but I have decked out a couple 10/22’s and my M3 out shoots them at 50 yards and probably at 100 but I am a limiting factor that gets in the way of the gun’s ability.

Reactions: Stone02
If you want to shoot slugs, for my money, 600mm is minimum. Compacts can shoot them but you will be well advised to stick with light for caliber weights.
My M3 is a 600mm and the bull pup configuration makes it pretty short. I have been tinkering with changing to a 700mm but am happy with what I have and changing is just an excuse to blow more money on air guns. Is that a bad thing?
I have never owned a true high end 22 so cannot speak to them, but I have decked out a couple 10/22’s and my M3 out shoots them at 50 yards and probably at 100 but I am a limiting factor that gets in the way of the gun’s ability.

I don’t know what you’ve been reading but a compact Impact is the easiest to tune of the three. But it’s crippled by barrel length. With these guns it’s when something gives you an advantage, you pay for it with a disadvantage. For instance, a 700mm Impact will give you a way broader tuning range because of how easily it shoots stuff fast. But on the flip side you deal with more barrel harmonics. Then have to spend some money on addressing it. If you want to compare one of these guns to a powder burner, buy a helmet. Because you will be banging your head off a wall the whole time you own it. Remember, guys only show great groups and spectacular kills on forums and in videos. For most, that’s only half of the story. On the up side, if you put in the work, you can get some pretty good results. Just forget about your Vudoo. Don’t compare.

Chukar60 Thank you for your reply. Yeah I remember how much I loved the bull pup design over long rifle. So 600 or 700mm isn’t a problem. What slug and what speeds are you finding best with your setup. i assume you’ve prolly done lot of testing? Any tips or pointers? What would you say a consistent group size at 100 Yards is with your impact?

My Vudoo will shot .6 and .7 at 100 yards Regularly. It’s just not practical for the type of shooting i need to do. It’s great for laying prone but i tend to shoot out of my truck or in tight spaces. That short bullpup design is unmatched.

I don’t know what you’ve been reading but a compact Impact is the easiest to tune of the three. But it’s crippled by barrel length. With these guns it’s when something gives you an advantage, you pay for it with a disadvantage. For instance, a 700mm Impact will give you a way broader tuning range because of how easily it shoots stuff fast. But on the flip side you deal with more barrel harmonics. Then have to spend some money on addressing it. If you want to compare one of these guns to a powder burner, buy a helmet. Because you will be banging your head off a wall the whole time you own it. Remember, guys only show great groups and spectacular kills on forums and in videos. For most, that’s only half of the story. On the up side, if you put in the work, you can get some pretty good results. Just forget about your Vudoo. Don’t compare.
I appreciate the response. I forget where i seen it but i think it was one the South Africa guys who was saying the short guns are harder to tune. But yeah i remember how my older impacts were and when I switched 22lr how many differences there are. That is a good point though barrel harmonics surely come into play on them longer barrels. The big set back with 22lr is the extreme spread. Out to 100 yards they’re great but after that those spreads get you.

Big advantage in that aspect

Chukar60 Thank you for your reply. Yeah I remember how much I loved the bull pup design over long rifle. So 600 or 700mm isn’t a problem. What slug and what speeds are you finding best with your setup. i assume you’ve prolly done lot of testing? Any tips or pointers? What would you say a consistent group size at 100 Yards is with your impact?

My Vudoo will shot .6 and .7 at 100 yards Regularly. It’s just not practical for the type of shooting i need to do. It’s great for laying prone but i tend to shoot out of my truck or in tight spaces. That short bullpup design is unmatched.
I am shooting 23 gr Zan .218’s @ 980 fps out of a slug liner. The liner shows a preference for the .218 diameter slugs and I tried some 31.? slugs that shot well but I did not like the shot count. I went to the light slugs and have been very happy with the accuracy and shot count.
So far the best group I have shot with them is 1 1/4”. There was some minimal wind, but I don’t think that was much of a factor. This was in the late fall and was the first group at 100 that I tried. Winter sucks around here and sitting at a bench punching holes in paper is the last thing on my list when it is cold and nasty. As it warms I will go out and work on it some more. If you want you can PM me and I will let you know what I come up with.
No tips. Every air gun is different and getting slugs to shoot can require a lot of testing of sizes, weights and brands. There are no shortcuts that I am aware of. They are more work than pellets, but in my mind and for my uses, well worth it.

I'm new {3yrs} to pcp guns but have shot 22br ,22 silhouette and now NRL22 with good 22lr's, Anschutz 1712, 40xr, Sako and Tikka for 35yrs.
Unless you live where the wind never blows no airgun in the 177/22/25 is going to have the practical accuracy of a target 22lr specially a Vudoo.
Yeah, you sit at the range on a calm day and shoot 50 groups at 100yds until you get a killer one but that's not reality. Maybe at 50yds the accuracy is comparable if your using slugs in the really well tuned pcp.
I've had thoughts of starting an airgun match to run simultaneously with the nrl22 but after shooting my FX dreamline on the course I don't think so....
I use my gun for pest control and recreational shooting as well because it's a really fun shooting that's inexpensive.
My regulator is maxed out and I've replaced the hammer spring to get 965fps with jsb 13.43 177 slugs, it'll topple 22lr rams at 100m which is amazing for a 177 airgun but know way is the 100yd accuracy comparable.
Here's a 50yd target from the 10th of this month, your Voduu will beat these groups all day long at twice or three times the distance.

I appreciate the response. I forget where i seen it but i think it was one the South Africa guys who was saying the short guns are harder to tune. But yeah i remember how my older impacts were and when I switched 22lr how many differences there are. That is a good point though barrel harmonics surely come into play on them longer barrels. The big set back with 22lr is the extreme spread. Out to 100 yards they’re great but after that those spreads get you.

Big advantage in that aspect
As far as I remember the only thing I heard about shorter barrels and tuning is you need more pressure and a quick hammer strike and valve close to get the slug moving and have the short burst of air to have the valve closed before the slug leaves the barrel.