• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying Compressor Oil Locally

Anybody got a recommendation for a compressor oil that can be picked up at a hardware store or auto parts store? I'm on a fixed income and just cannot see myself paying $20 in shipping costs for a $20 bottle of Seco Lube 500. I just ordered a Yong Heng and need to fill it. I know I can find that 46 stuff at like Home Depot or somewhere but what else is out there as far as the Rarus or Seco Lube type oils that you can go into a store and buy?

it would probably also work to use Alphabet org fluid.. it's similar weight to compressor oil.. actually a lot of compressor oil is nothing but 30 WT non detergent motor oil.. but standard Alphabet org has more lubrication properties and also higher flash point than regular compressor oil.. I don't know for sure on your compressor the exact crossover.. another option is my Ingersoll Rand shop compressor usus their name brand and it's full synthetic, it's the extended life oil and you can get that im sure at home Depot or, well I got mine at a farm store..
just ideas.. unless you can get a crossover number at a auto part store for the recommended oil.. as that would be better..
hopefully someone else is chime in that has experience with your compressor..
my PCP compressor is a Omega trail charger and it's just got a grease pot and uses a food grade grease.. I'm assuming because it is also rated for breathing air..
Mark

Reactions: Flash_The_Floof
Those 3 letters are banned on this site (due to their government agency affiliation), and the system automatically changes them.
thank you for telling me, made me think it was my phone autocorrect.. and I always have referred to it by the abbreviation and it took me awhile to think of the wording, since all my bottles are the abbreviation..
I understand the need to watch what people say, it too bad that it's not somehow by what you say instead of the filter..
but I am thankful for you telling me what was wrong and I'm thankful for this forum
Mark

Reactions: Flash_The_Floof
Husky oil at $15 for 16 ounces translates to $30 a quart. It's made for low pressure shop compressors. Shop compressor oils made for compressors that reach 150 psi not the 4500 psi of Yong Hengs, Tuxings, etc. The problem with them is that they create more sludge and carbon residue that wears out the composite high pressure rings. The carbon residue from heat fouls check valves. On the opposite end of the scale is using $$$ Mobil Rarus which is sold repackaged in small containers by resellers. If you are getting the genuine Rarus it is overkill for an inexpensive compressor. The best way to save on shipping is to buy a gallon of quality brand oil like Secolube since the shipping is the same for a gallon as it is for a quart. You can also try Royal Purple which is sold locally at $20 a quart. Many swear by it but some others don't. I've never trued it so can't comment on it except to say it's affordable and it is made for high pressure compressors.

Husky oil at $15 for 16 ounces translates to $30 a quart. It's made for low pressure shop compressors. Shop compressor oils made for compressors that reach 150 psi not the 4500 psi of Yong Hengs, Tuxings, etc. The problem with them is that they create more sludge and carbon residue that wears out the composite high pressure rings. The carbon residue from heat fouls check valves. On the opposite end of the scale is using $$$ Mobil Rarus which is sold repackaged in small containers by resellers. If you are getting the genuine Rarus it is overkill for an inexpensive compressor. The best way to save on shipping is to buy a gallon of quality brand oil like Secolube since the shipping is the same for a gallon as it is for a quart. You can also try Royal Purple which is sold locally at $20 a quart. Many swear by it but some others don't. I've never trued it so can't comment on it except to say it's affordable and it is made for high pressure compressors.
You can also find Husky, full synthetic, non detergent, HP, compressor oil at Home Depot or the like. I've used it for a couple years in my compressor with great results.

You can also find Husky, full synthetic, non detergent, HP, compressor oil at Home Depot or the like. I've used it for a couple years in my compressor with great results.
The label doesn't say HP anywhere that I found when researching Husky oil on Home Depot's website. It is also ISO 68 oil where HP compressors specify ISO 100 or higher. $15 for 16 ounces isn't even competitive with HP oils that sell for $20 a quart or $15 a quart when purchaed by the gallon.

The label doesn't say HP anywhere that I found when researching Husky oil on Home Depot's website. It is also ISO 68 oil where HP compressors specify ISO 100 or higher. $15 for 16 ounces isn't even competitive with HP oils that sell for $20 a quart or $15 a quart when purchaed by the gallon.
THIS is the stuff I'm talking about. Most full synthetic non detergent will work.
20231204_091602.jpg

I dumped Royal Purple after first 3 hours, it has an odor running in my 2019 YH, but seems fine in my 200 psi shop compressor. I'm staying with Seco 500 unless another ester based oil catches my eye. None of the big dive compressor companies use the likes of Royal Purple, was a big hint. On the other hand you have many good people that cannot justify expensive oil in a cheap compressor, no? Me, I baby the YH...anything not to have to deal with overseas mail order.