• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying an fx impact and nomad 2 good idea?

I’ve always wanted an impact big fan of FX. I had a wildcat but sold it but now I’m getting the pcp itch again.

My question is would it be a smart move to buy the nomad 2 for filling the impact. No tanks, I figured with the shot count of the impact I wouldn’t mind taking a 15 min break every 60 shots to refill.

What do you think?

btw I’m if anyone wants to trade an impact mk2 for a TriStar tt-15 combo trap gun let me know (;

Well most people who are super into the sport eventually work up to buying a portable compressor like the nomad. The convenience of never being out of air is nice, if you shoot a lot. The only reason I would advice against it is due to your statement about having a wildcat previously that you sold. The set up you have in mind is on the extreme end of the price range, so I would just advice you to think through the whole thing. Why did you sell the wildcat? Did you not use it much? If that is the case then theres a good chance it will be a similar situation with the impact/compressor. I dont know your specific situation, but if you think you will get 3000 worth of use out of it then go for it. I assume you wouldn't be looking at the extreme end if you couldn't afford it. You have to be realistic with yourself and gauge whether or not the enjoyment you will get is worth it. 

I have that setup and it works great. As far as owning an impact be prepared to fix certain issues yourself as it would be more convenient then shipping it back to FXusa. The gun is really simple to work on. Just need a few custom tools that u can make to work on it. Main issues will be oring replacements. For the nomad I haven’t had any problem with it so far. Think I had it since March of this year. I don’t shoot very often but I do have 3 guns with bottles that I fill with it. I’ve heard some had problems with theirs. I’d say get it both and just keep up with the maintenance. Should be a great setup. I’m very happy with mine. 

Jadedc, 

You make a lot of valid points, I’ve always sold my pcp air guns and regretted it 2 marauders and my wildcat ive sold. Like I said I’ve always missed them and just sold them to buy something else so I’ve decided not to do that again because I know I’ll regret it one day haha. My wildcat was great but I love the impact. 

3k is a lot lol....I enjoy shooting a lot but would probably do it 2 times a month on average per year. Normally going through phases where I shoot 4 months 2 times a week normally how it goes 😂

Sold wildcat because I wasn’t shooting it much but like I said I do regret it, looking at the impact because I believe it’s a step up from the wildcat I do like the looks and Idea of it better.

if I hadn’t sold the wildcat I’d be perfect fine with keeping that and buying the nomad 2

The Wildcat is a straight out of the box accurate rifle. The Impact is more about fine tuning to get the best from it. Which do you want to do?

Yea 3k is a lot, i would say for most people who spend that much they view it as an investment into a lifelong hobby. If you think its going to be a long term thing then i think it can be justified. LIke hawkeye said the impact has so much adjustability in it that it would be a waste to spend that much on the rig if you dont intend on using it. If you want to just shoot and still have great accuracy, without too much tinkering the lower models like the dreamline and wildcat would be a better option. However, at the same time just because you cant tinker with it right away doesnt mean you cant learn to eventually over time. So its really up to you to decide these things. 

Not long ago my lovely wife allowed me a $3K play budget, but also asked if it was possible to not hit or go over that budget, to please do so, lol. I had my sights set on an FX Boss in 30 cal and a hatsan lightning compressor. My thought pattern was the life blood of this hobby is air, so first and foremost, the compressor purchase comes FIRST, and the gun comes second. Well, counting tax, shipping, scope rings, scope, extra magazines, and all the stuff that comes with a gun, I couldn’t swing the FX Boss. I was short a couple hundred bucks, and that did not even include pellets. So, wanting to own my first 30 cal I settled for the Hercules Bully, which turned out to be a super star in power with decent accuracy.

Almost two years go by and I fell into a great deal on a two month new Wildcat in 30 cal. The previous owner decided he wanted more of a shot count and bought an Impact, so the wildcat went up for sale.

So, the lesson here is yes, I eventually ended up with an FX, and a good one at that. So many times I wonder why folks don’t invest big in the air supply department first, rather than the gun. It’s a good feeling to know that no matter which gun you decide to get, the air supply will always be there, with no worries of a fill shop closing down, or being open during a holiday weekend, or enforcing a rule where they only fill to 3K psi. The savings in time and fuel driving to a fill shop you already can figure that out.

The cool thing is, I came in @ $500 below the budget, in which my wife greatly appreciated. 

Nothing wrong with a portable 12v compressor, but if you can swing it and are totally into this hobby, invest in a better air source first.