Buying a used "new" PCP from an airgun website

Am I buying someone else's problem? Or it depends which airgun shop selling it...?

Can't help but makes me wonder when I see a newly released product available as "used" on an airgun website...that it may have been a customer return. Which may be a return because they had too many problems with it; or it was fixed by the shop but the shop already sent a replacement; or whatever was wrong with it was fixed, but there may be other issues with it. What is your primary concern when you decide to buy such a used "new" PCP? The "street reputation" of the shop vouching that the product is fully functioning and not a lemon? Or the manufacturer's factory warranty (assuming it's transferable)?

Some are demo guns that have been used to demo the new product and are being sold as used, because well, they are. Those airguns have been in the hands of experienced review folks and usually care and handling. Others could be, as you said, returned for various reasons under the sun -- didn't like, ran out of money and needed to return it, wanted something else, impulse buy, defective, TSTU error (Technology Superior To User), etc.

Just as with everything in life the individual experience provides the sum of the result outcome and that persons perception influences their happiness. I've seen posts where people nearly have an aneurysm over a scratch or smudge on a used weapon stock as a result of OCD flare-up.

Reactions: fe7565
I recently bought a new well known brand $2500+ PCP from one of the top USA dealers. I had to immediately return it because the velocity of the regulated gun was all over the place ( a 60fps swing over 15 shots). I received the Airgun back with the regulator replaced under warranty and it still had the problem so I returned it for a refund. About two weeks later the Airgun showed up used on the vendors web page at a discount (still over 2k).
I cannot be certain it was my gun but I would say it was because the guns are the latest greatest thing and I have never seen one used on any dealers web page. Since it was a couple weeks later it is most likely they determined the problem and fixed it but I guess you never know the history of the gun or if it will be a problem.
That is why if I am going to buy an expensive used gun I try to buy one that is still under warranty.

Reactions: fe7565
As concerned as you sound save your pennies and buy new. You will always be suspect of whatever used you bought from whoever. Buying used anything is a leap of faith.
Even if the seller had no problem with it and then one developed people claim it was a known kissue even if it did not crop up for a couple weeks after arrival.
Buying used is not for everybody. If you are not fairly to adequately mechanically inclined and unafraid of tearing into an air gun, I would suggest you avoid used guns.
If you are looking at a premium PCP from a top tier maker that is in like new condition you won‘t save much money anyway.

Reactions: LMNOP and PumaCarl
Yeah but if everyone followed this wise advice we wouldn't have all the Public Service Announcement threads cautioning us folks who were born yesterday about the dangers of purchasing used goods! ;)

I once purchased something used off the Classifieds here and the person had the audacity to use a generic Zip-lock bag not a name brand one. I immediately started a thread and proceeded to trash the person cautioning everyone about the dangers of the seller. :p

I kind of like buying the exact gun I've seen used in a review, especially if it comes with a discount.

BTW I have an AEA Terminator 30 for sale and its truly "like new" having shot maybe 200 rounds and zero issues. I think my asking price is a good deal, but I haven't had any takers yet. And this gun just happened to be purchased from BinTac as a "used new" (so I'm passing on the discount). I think it was simply used for photographs, or who knows, maybe it was a return? Either way it arrived in mint condition and I would have been a fool to pay full price instead, at least in this instance.

• Haha
Reactions: LMNOP