Buying a compressor, what is best choice...

Hmmm... do you not drive your car on the freeway because it might break? Cars do... Do you not fly because planes break? Planes do. Do you not run your gas hot water heater and furnace because they might catch fire? They do...

High quality planes, cars, furnaces and hot water heaters break less than cheap ass ones. But they still break.

The Coltri Daystate is on par quality wise with Bauer and Alkin. Buy once, cry once. Of all the “affordable” compressors available for airguns, the Coltri Daystate is simply top of the line. Read the entries on the link below. Then treat yourself to quality. You’ll thank me and @humdinger 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-daystate-lc110-compressor-report/

I think you should set a more realistic target. Either pay more to get a more reliable compressor or pay less to get a budget compressor and learn how to fix it by yourself. If you are into this hobby, you will need to learn how to work on your guns anyway. 

I have been using hand pumps for a long time and recently get a Yong Heng budget compressor with all the external filtering. Total cost is around $280. I don't shoot a million rounds a month so buying an expensive compressor cannot be justified although I can afford it. Being compact and portable is more important to me and the Yong Heng meets these requirements very well. I have spent some time to read relevant materials on line and taken the compressor apart to check out it's construction which turns out to be quite simple. I am now confident that I can service the compressor all by myself. I like this feeling of being independent. 

Filtering is the last thing you need to worry about because it just takes a cheap filter containing molecular sieve to remove the moisture. The air going into your PCP will be much dryer than that produced by your hand pump. 

All the videos that I watch and all the reviews don’t speak of anything about getting more filtration. They basically say that it’s plug-and-play. 

I used a hill pump for years with that little trap on the side with no issues and to hear that if I spend 1500.00 it will ruin my gun, that stinks! 

All I want is something that is a little to low maintenance and easy to use, I don’t want to be a compressor expert, I just want to shoot and it seems that just might not be an option 😵

Maybe that why I still love springers, just the simplicity of it all......

More filtration has been exhaustively discussed on this and other sites. Research it more and you should find it. Highly advisable before buying any compressor. And the springer bit, you are correct there. Generally simple and ready mechanisms. But the PCP's are powerful, accurate, and generally easier to shoot. And there are acceptable options for HPA. My local fire station fills my tank. Some have not been able to locate such a service. One just has to find their comfort level with cost, availability, and reliability. Or, as you note, stick with springers.

Hmmm... do you not drive your car on the freeway because it might break? Cars do... Do you not fly because planes break? Planes do. Do you not run your gas hot water heater and furnace because they might catch fire? They do...

High quality planes, cars, furnaces and hot water heaters break less than cheap ass ones. But they still break.

The Coltri Daystate is on par quality wise with Bauer and Alkin. Buy once, cry once. Of all the “affordable” compressors available for airguns, the Coltri Daystate is simply top of the line. Read the entries on the link below. Then treat yourself to quality. You’ll thank me and @humdinger 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-daystate-lc110-compressor-report/

YUP YUP & YUP ... I bought my Daystate LC110 back in March 2018, on the recommendation of Centercut & Humdinger. Filled a few 88 cu ft bottles from 0-4500 and I top off 2 bottles from 3500 to 4500 every two weeks. It runs like a champ!

All the videos that I watch and all the reviews don’t speak of anything about getting more filtration. They basically say that it’s plug-and-play. 

I used a hill pump for years with that little trap on the side with no issues and to hear that if I spend 1500.00 it will ruin my gun, that stinks! 

All I want is something that is a little to low maintenance and easy to use, I don’t want to be a compressor expert, I just want to shoot and it seems that just might not be an option
1f635.svg

More filtration has been exhaustively discussed on this and other sites. Research it more and you should find it. Highly advisable before buying any compressor. And the springer bit, you are correct there. Generally simple and ready mechanisms. But the PCP's are powerful, accurate, and generally easier to shoot. And there are acceptable options for HPA. My local fire station fills my tank. Some have not been able to locate such a service. One just has to find their comfort level with cost, availability, and reliability. Or, as you note, stick with springers.

I have 6 PCPs. 

All I want is something that is a little to low maintenance and easy to use, I don’t want to be a compressor expert, I just want to shoot and it seems that just might not be an option
1f635.svg

I have 6 PCPs.

No offense intended. I assumed this was new to you from the wording of your posts. I like my springers and have quite a few. Also have a bunch of PCP's now.

Need for filtration while using powered compressors has been debated (a lot). Filters are available that range from relatively inexpensive ("gold" filter) to more expensive (Diablo) to even more expensive (Alpha from JoeB). I use a Diablo and molecular sieve media.

Seems you have several options for your PCP's-continue to hand pump, use a commercial fill station (dive/paintball shop or firehouse), or buy the necessary equipment.

Good luck with whatever method you choose to pursue.

1f635.svg

I have 6 PCPs.

No offense intended. I assumed this was new to you from the wording of your posts. I like my springers and have quite a few. Also have a bunch of PCP's now.

Need for filtration while using powered compressors has been debated (a lot). Filters are available that range from relatively inexpensive ("gold" filter) to more expensive (Diablo) to even more expensive (Alpha from JoeB). I use a Diablo and molecular sieve media.

Seems you have several options for your PCP's-continue to hand pump, use a commercial fill station (dive/paintball shop or firehouse), or buy the necessary equipment.

Good luck with whatever method you choose to pursue.

No offense taken at all. I also have a great white shark tank that I use. I just get tired of going to the paintball shop and have it filled up. But I’m wondering if he even uses the right filtration now. Again, all I was hoping to do was get a couple suggestions pull the trigger plug the thing in and go. It’s just open my eyes to realize that there’s a lot more to this

1561167601_9094005215d0d86f1d6fd99.04136160_Screenshot_20190621-213813.jpg
this is a real dessicant dryer those 400.00 dollar solvent dryers are for lab use so unless your trying to make anthrax or something you've been bamboozled if your pushing over 500 psi you need a dessicant tower if you call yourself drying air and these cost over 20000.00 I have to say it the majority of airgunner and air gun vendors don't know much about air quality control or air production but they're filling bottles and giving advise.

Just my thoughts:

• Number of threads related to compressor failure: I ran out of fingers, toes, and teeth counting. I'm sticking to my axiom -- the best compressor is one that works, the worst compressor is one that is broken; lets debate circumsantially :)
  • Number of threads related to airgun failure due to moisture ingress from an air compression system: Zero?

Admittedly I'm all for moisture reduction *but* the airarms we're shooting do not require breathable air. The failure rate from moisture ingress is several orders of magnitude below the filter failure rate or compressor failure rate.

Reactions: Rodeo
If you go on any vendors site who sells air compressors , filtration and Air dryers you will never see the molecular sieve filter dryer all these airgunners are using. Those thing are for removing water from solvents in a lab under a fume hood we have plenty in the labs never used on aircompressors

I am definitely no expert in air filtration but I do have seen many compressor shops selling filters that use molecular sieve to remove moisture. This is just an example : https://www.coltri.com/en/products/consumables/

1561189177_11690853605d0ddb39cb3093.82594092_big-150219-171813-sc000380.jpg

Feeding PCP with breathable air never hurts, except for may be the wallet. It's just whether it's necessary. My humble opinion is no. That's base on my experience and the lack of reports on problems caused by using molecular sieve, not any professional knowledge. 

• Number of threads related to airgun failure due to moisture ingress from an air compression system: Zero?

There has been a recent post reporting the seat of O rings in the cylinder getting corroded suspectedly because of the moisture transferred from the owner's hand pump. Other than that, I cant recall any similar reports. I do share the impression that the harm of moisture ingression into PCP has been overstated.

Well all things being said this thread was very educational which is good for the sport IMHO the most important aspect of making your own hpa is air quality which has a lot to do with dryers,and filters the cheapest way to dry and filter your air is when it is at a low pressure, 80 to 100 psi filters and dryers are much cheaper and more readily available than 500 to 5000 psi filters or dryers same goes for compressors so for the price of a nice shop compressor that can be used for more than just filling an air gun high quality filter and a decent refrigerated air dryer and a booster your looking at around 3 to 5 grand more useful and cleaner dryer air that you can paint, fill your tires, fix your roof , run an impact drill or fill and Impact MKII choice was simple for me BOOSTER

Full disclosure I feel the need to make a blanket statement here, I've been working with air compressors and producing quality air for over 20 years .

However my first air gun arrived this month I'm very new to the sport don't know much about gun maintenance, my thoughts are based on a plan to take my gun apart in 2 years and see if clean dry air saved me some trouble.

I agree that you really don’t read much about air gun failure due to “dirty air” I wish some one who actually works in busy air gun repair business can comment on what they see in the guns that come in for repair. One thing to keep in mind if the pressure vessel on your gun blows when being filled you will not be in position to write about it. In the dive shop I used where they only filled tanks to 3300 PSI maximum they would always put the tank in a metal cage submerged in cold water during filling. I was told that on occasion a tank would explode.

I agree that you really don’t read much about air gun failure due to “dirty air” I wish some one who actually works in busy air gun repair business can comment on what they see in the guns that come in for repair. One thing to keep in mind if the pressure vessel on your gun blows when being filled you will not be in position to write about it. In the dive shop I used where they only filled tanks to 3300 PSI maximum they would always put the tank in a metal cage submerged in cold water during filling. I was told that on occasion a tank would explode.

Very good post. I also don't know if HPA as used by most air gunners may be causing some corrosion. Seems it would take some time to show up if was there at all. Haven't seen it myself but haven't been involved long enough to know.

I have a local fire station that will fill my Great White tank. EXTREMELY nice cascade fill system with a massive multistage compressor. They use a VERY robust locking steel cabinet enclosure to house the tanks as they fill but it is a dry system, not water filled. Overkill or do those folks know about incidents that the public may not?

Full disclosure I feel the need to make a blanket statement here, I've been working with air compressors and producing quality air for over 20 years .

However my first air gun arrived this month I'm very new to the sport don't know much about gun maintenance, my thoughts are based on a plan to take my gun apart in 2 years and see if clean dry air saved me some trouble.

I know in different industries the use of compressed air is a vital part of the infrastructure. Most of the skyscrapers for heating and air conditioning have controllers form a company called Johnson Controls in these systems the buildings numerous thermostats use low pressure air to assure that the proper valves and vents open and close to keep everyone comfortable. These systems would not be possible without pollutant free air that are needed to operate. I know I that systems described by 2muchair4leyla are used in the buildings with these huge HVAC systems. In dive shops and I’ve been in quite a few, where human life is dependent on the air quality. The most elaborate air filtering system I’ve seen was where the air is put under a low temperature causing the moisture to turn to ice and somehow the mechanism was then able to remove the water. Then a filter system would remove the oil and other pollution with media that the air was forced through.