• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

buying a cheap pcp with little accesories vs. a nicer springer with everything

My springer record is 118yds on a 20oz Pepsi bottle. As much as I would have ratherd a Disco over it, having one without being able to use it is like not having a Disco at all. My springer is one of those varmint hunter in .22 the Jim shocky edition one. Actually the best scope I've ever seen on a springer comes with it. I set it over a year ago and haven't re-set the sights at all and it shoots money. 

"Barbarian"Spring guns have there place just like a horse and buggy. Once you go pcp you won't go back
I will agree with this for the most part, but after an hour or two of putting shots on target I always grab my springer to finish things off. That way I don't get complacent with shooting my laser. Also, I suppose because I'm still only a few months into shooting PCP's I have a hard time letting the BB collect dust as she's been so good to me. 

Also, for the OP and to clarify, my springer is a Benjamin Varmint Hunter in .22 and again, it's the Jim Shockey edition. The rifle is a Nitro Piston Break barrel. The optics that come with it is a Center Point 4x32. It's kind of fuzzy, but very doable. Remember, I hit a 118yd shot on a 20oz bottle with the 4x32. 

Here is is a link to the rifle via Amazon. In my opinion it's a really decent rifle for the price. It's $179ish depending where you buy it, but mine has shot incredibly true compared to several others I've owned.
http://www.amazon.com/Benjamin-Varmint-Power-Rifle-0-22-Calibre/dp/B00IVKAGQ4

I was in the same boat as you. I wanted a pcp but couldn't bring myself to spend so much on setting up. I ended up buying a CZ .22lr for my long range fix and am currently looking for a quality springer to use everywhere else. I think it will be a good combo for me and avoids spending hundreds on tanks or a pump. It all depends on your situation as I only have a short range to shoot around the house a springer will be perfect and everywhere else I can shoot the .22lr safely. 

I have a Marauder. Second to the Discovery, it's the least expensive air rifle on the market. I have 4 springers.

The physics of the springers make them vibrate and bounce all over the place when shooting. It's small bounces, but enough to make shooting less than pleasurable.

The Marauder has NO vibration, no bounce, no recoil at all. Just pull the trigger, pellet flies.

Perhaps best advice came from Master Ted. In a YouTube video, he he was asked whether kids should start with springers or go straight to PCP rifles. His answer, PCP because that's what he'd want.

No, I won't be buying anymore springers. PCP all the way. Currently saving for something like a Wildcat. Several years away, but that's the next goal.

The Discovery is a pretty compelling starting point for PCP. A Marauder would probably be better, but it all comes down to your budget. Here's one option:

On any given Tuesday go to Crosman.com and put a Discovery and a pump in your cart. At checkout enter '20OFFTUESDAY' and the price drops to $375. Can't beat that with a pointy stick. With just those two items you can start shooting. Well...you need pellets too obviously. If there's still money in the bank get a small tank and a fill assembly and you can get at least 6-30 fills(depending on the tank you buy) on that gun before you need to fill the tank again:

Discovery($279): http://www.crosman.com/benjamin-discovery-178
Benjamin Pump ($189): http://www.crosman.com/benjamin-pcp-pump
Total: $468...minus 20% on Tuesdays at Crosman.com...=468-93.6=$374.4

Tank Option# 1 ($214): Provides 6 fills for the Discovery
Empire 3000PSI tank ($49): http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Pure-Energy-48-ci-3000-psi-Aluminum-HPA-Tank
If you're mechanically inclined you can modify the regulator to allow it to fill to 2000PSI or you can buy the Nina valve that can be adjusted up to 3000PSI for another $100(http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Ninja-Paintball-3000psi-Output-PCP-Regulator-FOR-FILLING-ONLY?&search_id=2628268)
Crosman fill assembly($65): http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026OW8N0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

You won't get a ton of fills with this tiny tank, but it's light, portable, and you can fill it with the pump! so there is no need to take it anywhere to be filled.

Tank Option #2 ($284): This is more expensive, but only a little and it provides forward compatibility if you get a higher capacity gun later. Provides 25+ fills for a Discovery
90in^3 Carbon Wrap 4500psi tank ($219): http://jdsairman.com/TanksRegs.html
Crosman fill assembly ($65)Crosman fill assembly($65): http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026OW8N0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

I think this is more important of a question. HOW LONG until you can get the necessary to fill and shoot the disco if you choose to get that? 

Because again... I'd rather shoot a springer than have a disco and have to wait a year to fill and shoot it... Or whatever the circumstances are. The way he words it sounds like even pellet money is tight..

also, since tank was brought up. If you go this route for $195 you will be more stoked. I get 27 200bar fills on my Krosa Bullpup PCP. 

http://www.topgun-airguns.com/SCBA-tank-with-adapter_p_94.html

it all comes hooked up with everything you need to plug and play. Call and talk to Peter. He is a really great guy and will take care of you. I do know he only has a couple of these left and then he will be sourcing another batch, so I don't know how long he may "be down" in the HP tank department. 

"Swing360"I think this is more important of a question. HOW LONG until you can get the necessary to fill and shoot the disco if you choose to get that? 

Because again... I'd rather shoot a springer than have a disco and have to wait a year to fill and shoot it... Or whatever the circumstances are. The way he words it sounds like even pellet money is tight..

also, since tank was brought up. If you go this route for $195 you will be more stoked. I get 27 200bar fills on my Krosa Bullpup PCP. 

it all comes hooked up with everything you need to plug and play. Call and talk to Peter. He is a really great guy and will take care of you. I do know he only has a couple of these left and then he will be sourcing another batch, so I don't know how long he may "be down" in the HP tank department. 
Those tanks are a good deal, but I believe they only had 1 year left on them before they were end of life. Even with a recent hydrotest, at 15 years they're done. We discussed these tanks in a previous thread and found that they didn't have much viable life left in them. They're probably fully functional, but no one would fill them after end of life.

"ztirffritz"
"Swing360"I think this is more important of a question. HOW LONG until you can get the necessary to fill and shoot the disco if you choose to get that? 

Those tanks are a good deal, but I believe they only had 1 year left on them before they were end of life. Even with a recent hydrotest, at 15 years they're done. We discussed these tanks in a previous thread and found that they didn't have much viable life left in them. They're probably fully functional, but no one would fill them after end of life.
Correct, they do only have a year left, BUT that's a year of saving for a better system while being able to shoot and charge on the cheap. 

OP: You've definitely been given a few good options. Definitely curious to hear what the budget and time constraints are on if you were to go with a disco (for example) or if you were to just look into a springer for an "all in one" play right away type setup

We we do have a really good classified section as well and currently have a bunch of good guys who are selling quality gear on the regular. Be sure to look at who is selling what and then cross check the feedback section to see for previous transactions. 

Another vote for PCP from someone who owns both. I have a beautiful 1980's R7 that I do shoot once in a while and a disco that I purchased when they first came out but my PCP's of choice are my Prods that are both set up as carbines there very accurate and just plain fun to shoot. The only changes I have made are aftermarket trigger blades & trigger job plus MM LDC's. I have an original Benji pump that came with my Disco that I use as a back up pump and a Hill MK3 pump that I use as my primary pump. I am considering getting a guppy size tank since there are 2 scuba shops within a few minutes of work for easy fills. I believe you will be much happier with a PCP gun and if I were you I would give a sweet little Prod carbine serious consideration. Tim in Michigan

Also, if I were to interpret your name as you wanting to hunt quary with your airgun I would highly suggest looking into what it takes to take down a target based on size/distance/orientation and type of animal, as a raccoon is harder to kill than a groundhog obviously.

so give us some more to work with on what you are after and we can probably fine tune your decision a bit based on our collective experiences. 

All in in all for me though I equally enjoy shooting my springer as I do my PCP. Many people don't once they get their first PCP from what I've seen portrayed here and on other forums, but I may just be an odd ball. The challenge is real with a springer and I enjoy it. 

Edit
Tim mentions a popular entry level priced (not necessarily entry level performance) rifle which is the Benjamin Marauder Pistol or commonly known as the Prod. Multi purpose "per say" being able to be used as a pistol and a carbine style rifle. I bought that as my first PCP and gave it to my brother in law before I even filled it or shot it once. I didn't really like the feel and wanted a more traditional rifle and then ended up with a pup anyway, so I probably would have been more than satisfied with it. LOL. 

Ahhh, this PCP/airgun world is endless 😈

If cost is a super major issue, get the springer. I purchased the Marauder from PA on a special that contained the Marauder, extra magazine (2 total) 4-16x44 scope, pump, shooting glasses and pellets. If I remember correctly it was a bit over$600. The pump work fine up to about 2500 pounds pressure, then I'm about give out. Purchased a 4500lb bottle with the ninja valve for $250. Well worth it. Last upgrade was a new scope. The Center Point it came with is OK, but I wanted better. $250 for a new scope (mil-mil) Total cost a bit over $1000.

Total cost of a Disco with pump, $360, though no scope.

However, now that I have the setup, any PCP is ready to go.

You can do it how I started with springers. Most refurbs, in my experience, go back due to the scope. The gun works fine. People just don't understand that if a scope shoots 12 inches high at 25 yards, that's 4 clicks per inch to drop point of impact to the target, or 48 clicks. They think the scope is broken and return to the vendor. Seems ridiculous, but most air gun scopes, if sighted at all from the factory are at 100 yards.If it's sighted further out than 100, more clicks. Lots of perfectly good guns go back due to scope issues. (3 of my 4 were refurbs, shoot fine, scopes were way out).

Lastly, the pump. The Benjamin pump works ok up to 2300 or 2500 lbs of pressure. Over that and it's a real work out. Disco shoots at 2000 lb if I remember correctly. Filling a 2700lb gun like the Marauder is a real work out. If I were buying a Disco and pump, understand that an upgrade to a marauder, or any other higher end gun, means paying for a bottle. Just too much work in my opinion.

I'm going to put in a word for quality here. After messing with cheap springers for a year, I bought a Beeman R9 and Leapers 3-9x32 scope. Mounted scope, sighted in and proceeded to clear the ground squirrels from the neighborhood! Shot thousands of round through it and rebuilt it after 5 years of heavy use, it's still going and just as accurate as when new. The Benjamin Titan I got for a friend shot well-until the plastic breech washers wore out & the barrel flopped all over the place, destroying accuracy. A relative has a Crosman fury that we could not put a scope on due to this issue. I would not recommend the Crosman or Benjamin breakbarrel springers. For not much more $ than the Benjamin Jim Shockey you can get a German built HW 95 from Airguns of Arizona for $299 shipped. I'd say start there, with practice you can reach out to 40-50 yards with that rifle and the quality of workmanship and materials is far superior to the Benji & Crosman guns. It's true that PCP guns are easier to shoot accurately and can reach out further, but don't overlook a quality springer as an option. 

I too give the R9/Hw95 two thumbs up and yes the best deal going is the special price of $299 at AoA BUT that does not include shipping as suggested in the above post. It's a great German springer that will last for years. Personally I think it has a great weight to power ratio and a great gun out to 40 plus yards. Can't go wrong with adding one to the herd.

Cheers

The Diana 460 magnum. Not my picture, but I've got a similar springer, and to me, this is the next to a medium rated pcp. Still have great pleasure shooting it. 
imagepng

http://s280.photobucket.com/user/Gunnar_Trones/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-10/DF4E57DF-8689-4C7B-A918-E505D1A119D9_zpsajsce0ai.jpg.html