• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buying a .20 cal was a mistake.

I have five tins of 20 caliber JSB 13.73 on pre-order with Utah airguns. I received the same amount about two weeks ago after about three weeks of pre-order. I'd order more at the same time but they limit each customer to five per order. AoA gets them in fairly often. I converted my R1 from 20 to 22 caliber because of pellet availability and a slightly nicer shot cycle.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
You can pre-order from Utah Air, 80 bucks plus shipping for 5 tins. I did this a couple of weeks ago and they were shipped within a week. Good luck.
I have five tins of 20 caliber JSB 13.73 on pre-order with Utah airguns. I received the same amount about two weeks ago after about three weeks of pre-order. I'd order more at the same time but they limit each customer to five per order. AoA gets them in fairly often. I converted my R1 from 20 to 22 caliber because of pellet availability and a slightly nicer shot cycle.
A pre-order is a good plan of attack. Thanks guys! I suppose I could just shoot something else while waiting too lol. Playing with the new gun is always more fun though

I wouldn't sweat it ........, but I'll say a silent prayer for you.
I converted my HW80S from .22 to .20, because it was only as accurate as a Hatsan. I was all set to sell it, when someone suggested using the .20 caliber.
Biggest improvement I've even seen in a break barrel, not my most accurate Springer.

Last edited:
I wouldn't sweat it ........, but I'll say a silent prayer for you.
I converted my HW80S from .22 to .20, because it was only as accurate as a Hatsan. I was all set to sell it, when someone suggested using the .20 caliber.
Biggest improvement I've even seen in a bread barrel, not my most accurate Springer.
I'm finding it pretty awesome too. I said I wasn't going to open it up but then I remembered that I had a spare Vortek piston seal for my 97K and two ARH Hornet springs on my shelf. Sure enough the spring fit the guide better than the factory spring and eliminated all the buzz. I liked the gun before but I absolutely love it now. Its just a quick snap straight back and a pellet hole shows up on target.

Out of curiosity, what type of muzzle energy are you getting out of a .20 HW80? 17-18fpe?

I'm finding it pretty awesome too. I said I wasn't going to open it up but then I remembered that I had a spare Vortek piston seal for my 97K and two ARH Hornet springs on my shelf. Sure enough the spring fit the guide better than the factory spring and eliminated all the buzz. I liked the gun before but I absolutely love it now. Its just a quick snap straight back and a pellet hole shows up on target.

Out of curiosity, what type of muzzle energy are you getting out of a .20 HW80? 17-18fpe?
Sorry Sqwirl57,
My HW80S in now my most accurate Springer - shoots pretty hard with a ARH spring, two coils clipped -> 19+ FPE (JSB 13.73).
The gun has a very sudden shot cycle, but is not hold sensitive - go figure?

My R9 & R10 in .20 caliber shoot the JSB 13.73 at 15.5 and 16.5 FPE respectively with a Vortek spring and my custom tune.
Shot cycles are smooth vs. the abrupt cycle of the HW80S.

Last edited:
With none in stock anywhere I'm bound to start going through withdrawal soon.

Pray for me.

I just might.
And while at it, I will definitely express my heartfelt thanks to God — because we mostly have First-World problems....:
•Lack of pellets (I only have 4500 left on my pellet shelf). •None of the 3 slugs I tried printed smaller than 2" groups at 100y. •Delivery truck is a day or two late. •I can't see my impacts on the paper target unless I dial the magnification to 24x. etc. etc.

Wow, we have it good!! 👍🏼😊

Matthias

Sorry Sqwirl57,
My HW80S in now my most accurate Springer - shoots pretty hard with a ARH spring, two coils clipped -> 19+ FPE (JSB 13.73).
The gun has a very sudden shot cycle, but is not hold sensitive - go figure?

My R9 & R10 in .20 caliber shoot the JSB 13.73 at 15.5 and 16.5 FPE respectively with a Vortek spring and my custom tune.
Shot cycles are smooth vs. the abrupt cycle of the HW80S.
19frlbs WITH a snipped spring? Wow! I was planning on an 80 at some point in 22 but now you have me second guessing myself there. Thank you for the insight!

I just might.
And while at it, I will definitely express my heartfelt thanks to God — because we mostly have First-World problems....:
•Lack of pellets (I only have 4500 left on my pellet shelf). •None of the 3 slugs I tried printed smaller than 2" groups at 100y. •Delivery truck is a day or two late. •I can't see my impacts on the paper target unless I dial the magnification to 24x. etc. etc.

Wow, we have it good!! 👍🏼😊

Matthias
You know what? I couldn't agree more. We have it pretty darn good!

Reactions: jbuchse17
We did warn you .20 was love it or hate it caliber. Would appear you fall into the "Now that I have one and shot it, I love .20"...lol.
Guess now we wait to see what you buy next in it :)
Slightly addicted myself, own 8 of them already and have a couple I'd very much like to on my bucket list.
"Love it" is an accurate statement. 16fpe, very manageable recoil, and I'm only holding 1.4 MIL at 50yds with a 30m zero. Zero complaints from me! I'm definitely curious about a .20 HW80 now thanks to @SpiralGroove. 800fps with a 13.73 may as well be a laser beam. I need one for the collection anyway so it seems like a no brainer there.

Lol at "slightly addicted". I'd say you found more of a solution than you did a problem!