Buyer's remorse

Interesting... How about your example, Hawkeye? As far as me, I'll probably get pounded by the EDgun fans for this, but a .25 EDgun R5M. I fell in love with the looks, and read all the posts on the gun, and how everyone raved about it. Also really like all the EDgun videos and factory support provided by Ed himself. So when I saw a used but practically new one here on AGN in brown laminate, I bought it. Truth in posting, I recently bought a used old style .20 EDgun Lelya and really like it...

To fill in some back story, at the time other guns I had were a a .22 DS Renegade, .30 FX Bobcat MK2, and .22 Cricket mini Carbine, and .177 RAW TM1000. Every one of these guns would put ten shots inside of a dime at 50 yards and had/have easy smooth cocking.

So when I got the EDgun, I was really thrilled with its looks, but surprised by the heavier than expected weight. I was also surprised that the cocking is not really a mechanically advantaged lever, but just a simple and straightforward back and forward action on either side, but required much more effort than any of my other guns. So I mounted a scope, and shot the gun for a while, at least two tins of JSB Kings.

After what I considered a reasonable break in time, I took it to the "tunnel" at my club, which is a 52 yard indoor section we use for gun and pellet testing. Its just a 30 inch sewer pipe under ground with a bench on one end and a target section on the other. But no wind at all in the tunnel, so its great for subjective pellet testing. The below photo is the best I could do at 52 yards with absolutely no wind, quarter sized 9 shot (one magazine) groups. Every other gun I have or had would do dime sized groups at that distance. It was even worse with the AAs. I truly expected better.

The trigger was only slightly adjustable (first stage travel adjustment only), and while a fairly nice hunting trigger with just a bit of creep at second stage break, nowhere near the quality of the other guns I had/have. And of course there was that loud mechanical "ping" next to your ear each shot. Not horrible by any means, but it gets irritating after many shots in a day.

So, I needed up trading (with some $$$ to me) for a .25 Vulcan Tactic gen 4. Easier cocking, more accurate, better trigger, no ping. But just as heavy... I don't have buyer's remorse for the Vulcan, but haven't decided yet if its a permanent member of my stable like the Bobcat and Cricket...

1548353157_3400455025c49fe85b1b1a2.21467885_EDgun 25 kings AA at 52 yards.jpg

It is a shame you sold it, because I'd pass along a piece of advice I originally got from our very own Michael: use a little JB Bore Compound. It isn't a solve-all, it won't fix everything, etc. but it has this damn near magical ability to take some barrels which just aren't shooting and turn them into shooters. Use it judiciously, with the gun upside down to keep the port clear, do a couple dry-fires as part of your cleaning to make sure it is all out, etc. but it just does magic in some percentage of cases. YMMV. 

The other thing I always say about a gun that won't shoot is try single loading it. Mags are apparently dastardly, and figuring out that the problem is linked to the mag is the first step in fixing it. 

I don't mean to flame you here, far from it, just dispensing wisdom of questionable value which hopefully will help you or someone else some day. :) 

The 1st thing that comes to mind is my "$99 Special" Turkish Tomahawk in .177.

After the first 30 or so shots,I had a headache for the remainder of the day. I tore it down,cleaned/polished/de-burred it,installed an upgraded piston seal and spring in addition to all new high grade lubes.

The shot cycle was better but the accuracy was still "ho-hum". I managed to get the trigger to be ok...but after all the work and testing,I was just fed up with the whole damn thing.

I've heard the term "Problem Child" when referring to these types of guns Soo....

I sent it away to live with a relative. From what I hear,it's locked in a basement,never gets outside and he doesn't feed it.

Mike

Air Venturi Booster compressor. Filled one bottle, broke down, got sent back for repair, got it back and filled one bottle, broke down again, got sent back & my $ back, a very frustrating ordeal from start to finish. 

My first UTG scope. Got full of water after having been exposed to light drizzle. Have had 2 Bugbusters after that with no regrets on those. 

Not sure I have ever regretted buying any airgun but I have a habit of selling stuff off when I want to try something new anyway so I expect to take a bit of a loss (a rental fee you could say). 

There have only been two guns that I bought and never truly liked, a .177 Walther Rotek and .22 Wildcat. The Rotek was loud, horribly inefficient and had the worst hammer bounce imaginable and the fact that it was listed as having an "adjustable match grade trigger" was a joke. It wasn't adjustable and certainly not match grade! The barrel on my wildcat fouled after about 50 shots so it required constant cleaning and the trigger was mushy (this was an early wildcat with the weak trigger linkage clevis). It felt like if you put too much pressure on the trigger something would break, and it probably would. Also the cocking lever pins kept working there way out which was easy to fix but really annoying to have to fettle with a $1200 gun so much. It was accurate as long as you cleaned the barrel every time you aired it back up lol. I'm thinking the newer Wildcats are better guns because you don't hear about many of the complaints any more... I didn't like them but I wouldn't say I regretted buying them if that makes sense?

Oh and when you pay a lot of money for something never say you hate it! You are supposed to rave about how sweet it is and then quietly slip it onto the classifieds. Something like, "It really pains me to have to sell this but..."😄😄

Buyer remorse - yes I have had that in airguns.

1 - Hatsan Sortie - what a waste of money. The gun was fun for the one or two times it worked but I have no patience for the frustrations this gun produced in my life (and away for warranty work). I wouldn't even feel right selling it to someone it was that bad. Filed in parts in the appropriate receptacle. 

2 - Ocelot - This is an amazing pistol. Very accurate, precise regulator. But, way to heavy for a pistol to shoot offhand and there are better guns if I'm shooting off a rest. Also the trigger is crisp but too heavy for a pistol let alone a target pistol.

I guess that's about it. I have other guns I plan to sell, not because of remorse, but because they just aren't for me.

As far as a rifle goes I do regret buying a gun I liked. It was a .25 Marauder. I spent an incredible amount of money customizing it to shoot like a high end FX or Daystate. Never happened of course. I'll not buy less expensive airguns with the thought of making it something it isnt.

Another gun is the .22 Gauntlet I bought for my Daughter. Most overhyped piece of junk ever. I wouldn't even give it away.

As far as accessories I regret every "budget" scope I ever wasted money on. I'm old and will never buy anything but high quality optics again. 

MTC viper Pro, overhyped, poorly built, too expensive. You have to loosen up the front scope ring so the side focus works properly.

I also regret buying the LabRadar only because it wasnt suitable for use in my back yard because of metal buildings. Was excellent at the range, but I do my tuning at home.

Atlas clone bipods...horrible 

On the flip side I really regret selling my FX Royale 400. I needed the money to purchase an Impact, but I regret not saving up more and waiting.

Reactions: sonny
Not sure I have ever regretted buying any airgun but I have a habit of selling stuff off when I want to try something new anyway so I expect to take a bit of a loss (a rental fee you could say). 

There have only been two guns that I bought and never truly liked, a .177 Walther Rotek and .22 Wildcat. The Rotek was loud, horribly inefficient and had the worst hammer bounce imaginable and the fact that it was listed as having an "adjustable match grade trigger" was a joke. It wasn't adjustable and certainly not match grade! The barrel on my wildcat fouled after about 50 shots so it required constant cleaning and the trigger was mushy (this was an early wildcat with the weak trigger linkage clevis). It felt like if you put too much pressure on the trigger something would break, and it probably would. Also the cocking lever pins kept working there way out which was easy to fix but really annoying to have to fettle with a $1200 gun so much. It was accurate as long as you cleaned the barrel every time you aired it back up lol. I'm thinking the newer Wildcats are better guns because you don't hear about many of the complaints any more... I didn't like them but I wouldn't say I regretted buying them if that makes sense?

Oh and when you pay a lot of money for something never say you hate it! You are supposed to rave about how sweet it is and then quietly slip it onto the classifieds. Something like, "It really pains me to have to sell this but..."😄😄

LOL, did you recognize the Taipan on my profile picture?! Well this is supposed to be post about the gun you regret buying and I couldn't be happier with that purchase! Thanks once more!

I've had more than my share of "buyers remorse". Most was my share of hatsans. Some were good, some were horrible(the Bullmaster #1), I bought the very first addition of the Bulldog that I spent too much moding out because it could barely hold 5" groups at 50 yards. 

As for the Edgun Lelya 22 I got none. But I understand your complaints on the .25 matador. I shot one last week. The cocking was stiffer than my .22 lelya. The ping was more pronounced too, but still nothing like any of my hatsans or Benjamin's. Still nothing that would bother me. As for the accuracy, I still thought the .22 Lelya was more accurate, but I did not have enough testing to say for sure.

I still plan on buying another Edgun, although. 

Centercut, give me a deal on the .25, I'll take it off your hands.

BSA Supersport SE .25 tactical stock - bought online (impulse buy), - when it arrived, I found that due to the stock shape, the open sights were not useable, and the barrel was loose in the action (side to side movement).

I got onto the BSA agents who replaced it with a wooden stock version with a better fitted barrel. 

BUT ! just like a lot of you on this forum, I like to tune my guns, so I pulled it apart, and besides being a little dismayed at the rough finish, I also found rust in the compression tube.

I cleaned it all up, lubed it correctly and had a shot, the rifle produces about 15 FPE - so well short of the advertised figures, and has so much barrel droop that standard scope mounts are not much good.

tried using open sights, and found that due to the height of the front sight, the rear sight does not have enough vertical adjustment to be on target at 25 M.

I then tried a peep sight which wasn't too bad, but all in all I would not reccomend one of these to anyone.

Sorry Edgun fans, but it was the .25 Edgun R5M for me. On the plus side it was a dream to take apart and clean. Mine was pretty accurate, more so than Centercut's. It was beautiful drop dead gorgeous to look at.

I did not like the trigger, the foregrip on the wood stock felt thin and delicate, hated the digital gauge, and would have changed it out had I kept the gun, didn't care for the plastic magazines, the forward double sided cocking was a nice application had it been butter smooth? To me it was hard to cock, especially when compared to my Colibri. They weren't even in the same league in the cocking department?

That was my first and only Edgun. Wish I had started with the original single shot, bolt action, maybe I could have given it a better review?

Fuss