• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Buy Once, Cry Once...

I am about 178 cm tall. I measured about 10 cm clearance from the end of the stock moderator (which 12.5 cm long on my gun) to the ground, on my 700mm .25 impact. Did not wear shoes, so you may say 12 cm clearance outside if you like. That was when I held the gun in the grip, facing down along my leg. I know it is not going all the way to the ground, but I would not be carrying the gun like that if I was going out on the field on uneven terrain, just of the risk of bumping it. If you have a 600 mm barrel you will get roughly twice the distance to the ground, so you do not have to be as careful when carrying it around. If you like to shoot out you car window, the gun will be easier to move around inside your car. I would guess the stock moderator is a common length, some are longer, and some are a shorter.

The 700mm barrel have some advantages, but my next .22 barrel will 600 mm, as I find it more convenient having the gun a litle shorter.

If you are mainly a pellet shooter, I would say, the 600 mm is better. Why: Because you can carry it in one hand along your side, without fear of the barrel bumping on the ground. And if you like a gun, capable of using in a truck, moving around from either passenger side, or backseat, out your driver window, shorter is better. But if you paid extra for a 700mm, I would keep the 600mm, and ask for a refund of for the inbetween. The most important thing is that the gun shoot good, and you are happy with how it performs:)

You raise some very good points, I do like not having to worry about bumping the ground with the barrel.

Congrats on a very wise gun choice! The 600mm does well with JSB 34gr MKIIs at 898 FPS, and the JSB 25.39gr do really well at 890 FPS, both tested at 52 yards. Unless getting into heavier weights at same speeds, 600mm does just fine. MKIIs at 920 opened up, too fast.

Here are groups today tested at different speeds. PW at 4 (898) did the best with many sub MOA groups.

1593452618_12306676665efa284ac802a0.59471339.JPG

The velocity to which you can push a pellet while remaining stable depends on quite a few factors, one important one being efficiency, meaning if you're at roughly 1.3 fpe/ci or better, efficiency shouldn't be causing issues, but under that, there is an increased chance of turbulence effecting the pellet as its leaving the muzzle...The reason to that is simple and should be elementary with tuning in a particular pellet for any gun...

So while triggertreat may not be able to shoot an mkll at 920 fps without his groupings opening up, many others may very well be able to, even with their impact mk ll... (there are those that already do...)

The velocity to which you can push a pellet while remaining stable depends on quite a few factors, one important one being efficiency, meaning if you're at roughly 1.3 fpe/ci or better, efficiency shouldn't be causing issues, but under that, there is an increased chance of turbulence effecting the pellet as its leaving the muzzle...The reason to that is simple and should be elementary with tuning in a particular pellet for any gun...

So while triggertreat may not be able to shoot an mkll at 920 fps without his groupings opening up, many others may very well be able to, even with their impact mk ll... (there are those that already do...)

I would guess the 600mm barrel is still longer than most other airgun barrels out there. I would believe most guns have around 500mm barrels +/- some. I know the 700 mm barrels was introduced for the longrange benchrest shooters, with the original impacts, to efficiently shoot the 34 grain heavys. Those guns still did require relative high regpressures to shoot them fast enough. Now they also are popular ammong slug shooters which like to get as much power as possible out of theire gun. I am not an expert, but I would believe the mk2 impacts with bigger plenums and bigger valves would still be regarded an efficient gun even with the 600mm barrels.

But in the ends it depends on one needs. Do one want the impact to look and behave like a bullpup? Or do one like a longer gun which reminds more of an ordinary rifle, but at the same time is more powerfull?

The first picture is a 600mm barrel, the seccond 700mm. Both guns using the same FX stock moderator. I know it is a bad picture, but tried to take both on same angle and position. For reference I also put a stock FX moderator on the floor, which is 12.5 cm long. I am 178 cm tall, and believe I have normal length arms:)

1593466218_20105933025efa5d6a6fe508.88652340.jpg
1593466249_14163064395efa5d890d9e12.37743257.jpg

I don't think its a bad photo at all, it shows exactly what you were intending to show. thank you for taking the time to show that for me.