Buy once, cry once, and other ways you rationalize your spending and choices...

ok, i get it. i understand that there are folks that might not appreciate the growing popularity of the sport, and perhaps in particular, newbs and fng's with deep pockets buying "$2500 PCPs" and probably hogging all the good ammo! believe me, centerfire shooters are thinking the same thing.

for myself, yeah i am one of those plonkers that hadn't owned an airgun since he was a kid, and all of a sudden can't wait to brag about his new expensive toy. sorry.

but to put things in perspective, i am considered one of the fooking poors on most centerfire forums. can't even afford thermal gear for chrissakes!

when i actually buy things they tend to be expensive, but i don't have more than one of any kind of gun except handguns, and now this is true for airguns as well.

also, i rarely spend money on "luxuries" like eating out. we cook or prepare literally 99% of what we eat. i only bought soda pop once in 5 years (besides some we keep on hand for company) and it was Pepsi, because f*** Coke. every time i don't eat out, or get a burger instead of making a sammich, that is money i consider mine to spend or waste. same if i don't take a trip to the rifle range and shoot $200 worth of .308 ammo. works for me, lol.

at least i am not spending 10 bucks a day at Starbucks and crying about my unpaid college loans.

/ok boomer

//i reserve the right to start collecting <$500 rifles, now that i have a way to fill them.

The airguns, in general hold the value pretty well. Visit the classified section and you will see. To begin with you can buy from a reputable member over there and Dave some cash.

One way I sometime look at it is as if I'm renting the gun. For example I bought a brand new rifle for $1500 that I use for a year (or more) then later I can sell in $1200 or even $1000 what was the cost over there period of ownership? I think as if I rented it for $300 or $500 for an entire year. 

Hope this helps

I'm one of those that commit for a lifetime regarding hobbies. 

Been shooting target and Clay's for over 50 years so it was relatively painless migrating over to air and gaining the benefits. 

I know longer shoot target with rim fire, it's all air but as a very practical thinker, I'll never go big bore simply because that arena is all ready filled. 

I'm retired and have no issues spending the children's inheritance. 

There is a reason there are no uhauls at funerals… you can’t take it with you enjoy what time you have with whatever hobbies make you happy.

Yep, ain't no luggage racks on a hearse, either -

Personally, I can't justify spending four figures on anything that shoots, be it powder or air, but that's just me - we all have to live within our means.

But I have absolutely no guilt buying a few ""parts" here and there, and eventually acquiring enough to build something affordable that fits my budget.

That's my airgun rationale/rationalzation du jour.

For me, shooting airguns is an inexpensive sport.

Please consider- no range fees paid, no travel to and from ranges for practice, etc. except for competition (air pistol), etc. Air (from my compressor) is less expensive than those multiple 8lb cans of Bullseye powder that I used to buy every year at Fin, Fur, and Feather while at Camp Perry. Never mind the cost of primers, etc. Also, I used to spend many hours hand loading every round for Bullseye 45 shooting- my time is valuable, too. Pellets, even the best, remain inexpensive.

One can, therefore, invest more initially in a high quality air rifle/air pistol. That cost is offset by the lesser expense involved with everything else in the sport. 2 cents.

ok, i get it. i understand that there are folks that might not appreciate the growing popularity of the sport, and perhaps in particular, newbs and fng's with deep pockets buying "$2500 PCPs" and probably hogging all the good ammo! believe me, centerfire shooters are thinking the same thing.

for myself, yeah i am one of those plonkers that hadn't owned an airgun since he was a kid, and all of a sudden can't wait to brag about his new expensive toy. sorry.

but to put things in perspective, i am considered one of the fooking poors on most centerfire forums. can't even afford thermal gear for chrissakes!

when i actually buy things they tend to be expensive, but i don't have more than one of any kind of gun except handguns, and now this is true for airguns as well.

also, i rarely spend money on "luxuries" like eating out. we cook or prepare literally 99% of what we eat. i only bought soda pop once in 5 years (besides some we keep on hand for company) and it was Pepsi, because f*** Coke. every time i don't eat out, or get a burger instead of making a sammich, that is money i consider mine to spend or waste. same if i don't take a trip to the rifle range and shoot $200 worth of .308 ammo. works for me, lol.

at least i am not spending 10 bucks a day at Starbucks and crying about my unpaid college loans.

/ok boomer

//i reserve the right to start collecting <$500 rifles, now that i have a way to fill them.

Nailed it.

I'm in a position at work to make a lot of overtime and that's how I base my purchases. As long as my bills are paid on time and have enough financial cushion for emergencies, I splurge a little. I could save more money by buying used on the Classifieds but I have trust issues and generally purchase items new. I stopped buying powder burners for the last 5 years but did buy enough firearm ammunition for TEOTWAWKI so I'm good. I also have no kids so that helps out tremendously lol.

This is one of those interesting subjects that is subject to the imperfection of reality.

Most of the time if I buy a cheap gun as an experiment I'm unhappy about the purchase in short order. But I bought an all metal Tangfoglio C02 BB pistol for $50 new that was a really cool and reliable pistol, I still have it. Basically all the rest of the BB and pellet guns I bought as cheapy's were junk. So I guess lucking out or knowing what exactly to buy can be a huge consideration.

In the medium price range, and a fair amount of the guns I bought that were getting to the expensive realm, were either a sad joke or so ho-hum that I sold them or returned them. I think if you tune yourself or have access to a good tuner these can be brought to another level or enough to be satisfactory for the most part. I did have a $1600 gun that was unfixable after three trips back to the shop I bought it from spanning a years time. 

That leaves the tier 1 guns that often will be "ALL THAT" so most of the time you get what you pay for. There's only one I bought in what I would consider more on the bottom end of tier 1, actually I feel it's more like a 2nd tier gun, that was a downright annoying gun. For a $1900 gun I expected much more from it!

I tend to be frugal in most ways but I do like nice stuff so I will often spend the extra dough to buy pleasing gear that does what is expected of it or hopefully so. It's nice when things go WELL!

Sucks to get bit by substandard items breaking, but it sucks even more when the price goes up but the gun doesn't measure up to the hype and you have to dump time and money into it or sell it at a loss.

Where I walking, nay crawling across the desert on the verge of death and was offered a Pepsi, I, I would choose death.

Coke for me.

Also, any monies I save by cutting my own hair ect, I then consider it belongs to my weans ( children )

However, luckily I squirreled a little bit away and intend to splurge it on a nice PCP.

Hope to cry once only, in that regard.

Well, the OP asked about our ways to rationalize our spending.... 🤣

🔶 I will proceed to present you with the general principle of a successful rationalization strategy. Then I will illustrate the strategy with just one example.

🔸STRATEGY:🔸 

Buy a cheap device that will permit or even require gradual upgrading. That way, the initial expense is justifiably low

and the subsequent excessive expenses can either

(a) be blamed on the failings of the cheap initial device, or

(b) be hidden behind the cheap price of the main device

🔸ILLUSTRATION of the STRATEGY🔸

(1)

I got a cheap China gun, an Artemis PP700S-A, and because of someone's profound goodness of heart I got this lighly used cheap gun for much less than MAP price, almost for free....

(2)

But because it's a PCP, I NEEDED a pump (no, to justify a tank or compressor is a justification I'm still working on, like "my doctor telling me I have to watch my back...." 🤣). FX 4-Stage, used. =$180

(3)

Now because it's a PCP pistol it's loud — so I NEEDED a DonnyFL silencer. = $120

(4)

But because most cheap China guns don't have UNF silencer threads, I also NEEDED an adaptor. = $40

(5)

Unfortunately, because the cheap China regulator was totally erratic, I really NEEDED a Huma reg. = $110

(6)

Now I had the problem that the gun was shooting with such high accuracy, I could reach out much much farther, so I WAS REQUIRED to get a scope (3-12x44 FFP). = $180

(7)

But because the gun is low power, and I am a turret dialer, I NEEDED adjustable mounts to have enough clicks on the elevation turret, and for this to work I also NEEDED a dovetail-to-picatinny rail adaptor. =$100

(8)

Now, the gun shoots great — however sometimes my quarry flies off, and I NEED to know why, and where my pellet hit it! Therefore, I NEEDED a Tactacam, with Film-Through-The-Scope adapter, and a memory card, to review the slo-mo of my shots. = $350

In summary: The Tactacam and it's pricetag basically hide behind the scope to which it is attached, and which costs half of the Tactacam. And the scope and its pricetag hide behind the cheap China gun, which costs not even half of the scope. And the other accessories follow the same camouflaged expense trail.

🔶 So, what's your rationalization strategy for your AG expenses? 🤣

Matthias

Well, the OP asked about our ways to rationalize our spending....
1f923.svg

1f536.svg
I will proceed to present you with the general principle of a successful rationalization strategy. Then I will illustrate the strategy with just one example.

1f538.svg
STRATEGY:
1f538.svg

Buy a cheap device that will permit or even require gradual upgrading. That way, the initial expense is justifiably low

and the subsequent excessive expenses can either (a) be blamed on the failings of the cheap initial device, or (b) be hidden behind the cheap price of the main device

1f538.svg
ILLUSTRATION of the STRATEGY
1f538.svg

(1)

I got a cheap China gun, an Artemis PP700S-A, and because of someones goodness of heart I got this lighly used cheap gun for much less than MAP price, almost for free....

(2)

But because it's a PCP, I NEEDED a pump (no, to justify a tank or compressor is a justification I'm still working on, like my doctor telling me I have to watch my back....
1f923.svg
). FX 4-Stage, used. =$180

(3)

Now because it's a PCP pistol it's loud — so I NEEDED a DonnyFL silencer. = $120

(4)

But because most cheap China guns don't have UNF silencer threads, so I NEEDED an adaptor. = $40

(5)

Unfortunately, because the cheap China regulator was totally erratic, I NEEDED a Huma reg. = $110

(6)

Now I had the problem that the gun was shooting with such high accuracy, I could reach out much much farther, so I WAS REQUIRED to get a scope (3-12x44 FFP). =$180

(7)

But because the gun is low power, and I am a turret dialer, I NEEDED adjustable mounts, and therefore I also NEEDED a dovetail-to-picatinny rail adaptor. =$100

(8)

Now, the guns shoots great, however sometimes my quarry flies off, and I NEED to know why and where I my pellet hit it! Therefore, I NEEDED a Tactacam, with Film-Through-The-Scope adapter, and a memory card, to review the slo-mo of my shots. =$350

In summary: The Tactacam and it's pricetag basically hide behind the scope to which it is attached, and which costs half of the Tactacam. And the scope and its pricetag hide behind the cheap China gun, which costs not even half of the scope. And the other accessories follow the same camouflaged expense trail.

1f536.svg
So, what's your rationalization strategy for your AG expenses?
1f923.svg

Matthias

hahahaha! classic.

i went through the same thing when i "accidentally" bought a precision rifle. needed a rear bag, bipod, rangefinder, spotting scope, tripod...endless.

for my hanguns, it was a holster and i was done.

Hmmmmmmmm? maybe do extensive research on one's specific requirements, be patient and......

Buy Once and NOT CRY at all!

Enjoy the ride of learning All the variables, buy used if possible to re-capture your eventual / inevitable sale at almost what you paid for it..i.e. I just got a Kahles scope for a bit over $1600.00 Ouch! you say! Yep Expensive...However this scope was $2495.00 OEM new price. I can sell it easily over on Snipers Hide site USED section for $1700.00.

Point being Know what you want/need and Do Not Cry! at all!.....Cheap or expensive gun makes no diff. I concur Air guns hold their value pretty well at say 70% of new cost. The aforementioned to me is the Welcome to the Bright Side....Dark side not so much. Have fun out there with these quiet Fun investments.